Can i safely update while having luma3ds on ctrnand ?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Muda42, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Muda42
    OP

Muda42 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2018
    United States
    Hello, i installed cfw on my 3ds using the seedminer tutorial. The last step named "finalizing setup" made me ctrnand luma3ds with godmode9 so i can boot my 3ds without sd card. I just wanted to ask (If Nintendo releases an new update) if i can install an future update without having to restore my stock nand first. Thank you for your help!

2. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 9, 2017
    United States
    yes this boot.firm only loads if there is no sd card in the system think of it as a backup

3. Muda42
    OP

Muda42 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2018
    United States
    So i can safely install an update without restoring my backup?

4. Zyvyn

Aug 9, 2017
    United States
    yes only thing to know is make sure you are running at least luma 9.1 when updating to 11.8 that update kinda broke older versions which if you just hacked your console you are running 9.1

5. Muda42
    OP

Muda42 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2018
    United States
    Ok thank you very much! My 3ds was already in 1.18 it was just in case there is an future update

Last edited by Muda42, Sep 3, 2018
  6. Zyvyn

Aug 9, 2017
    United States
    even if another update breaks luma it wouldnt brick consoles it would just require replacing the boot.firm on the sd

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

finally I will explain how this all works essentially boot9strap is a cust bootloader which is the thing that loads the firmware by default boot9strap loads the boot.firm off the sd if there is no sd it reads the boot.firm off of ctrnand which if its not there it has nothing to load and just boots to a black screen

deSSy2724 likes this.
  7. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    If there's nothing to load it shuts down the console

8. Zyvyn

Aug 9, 2017
    United States
    correct my mistake

9. Muda42
    OP

Muda42 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2018
    United States
    Yeah i knew that i just didn't know what the ctrnand process exactly did that's why i doubted

Last edited by Muda42, Sep 4, 2018