Gaming Can I plug an External Hard Disk?

TheTwoR's

Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Hey all.
I'm gonna preorder this when I get the money.

But I noticed that the 250 GB is too expensive, so I'm thinking of getting the 4GB one.
Here's the thing though,
I'll only get it if there's a way I can plug a 250 GB hard disk in it and use it like the HDD that's in the Xbox.
I've never touched an Xbox before, but I know it's really good so I'm getting one.
Yeah whatever.
My question was if I can plug a 250 GB external hard disk and use it normally. (I don't even know if the Xbox has a USB slot.)

So umm... I appreciate your help and thanks
yay.gif

TheTwoR's

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
TDWP FTW said:
You can use an External HDD (It has a USB port, just to clarify), but only 16GB of it.

Aw, that really sucks. =/
Ah well, better start saving 400 bucks and more to buy a game with the xbox + kinect.
Crap.

Well thanks for answering.
wink.gif

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can Use any 360 HDD in the slim as per here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKnaixPCsns

You can buy one of these:
- WD Scorpio Series BEVS/BEAS
- WD Scorpio Blue Series BEVS/BEVT
- WD Scorpio Black Series BEKT/BJKT
- WD VelociRaptor Series

With HDDhackr and one of those drives (250GB is around $50USD) you can have a 250 GB HDD for alot cheaper than M$ is selling them for.

TheTwoR's

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
hundshamer said:

- WD VelociRaptor Series

With HDDhackr and one of those drives (250GB is around $50USD) you can have a 250 GB HDD for alot cheaper than M$ is selling them for.

Wow... Thanks
smile.gif

Sorry though, jet's answer was like, pwning ;)

QUOTE(jet™ @ Sep 12 2010, 10:42 PM) No, if it's NTFS. Format it as FAT32 and it works

Wow thanks
smile.gif

EDIT: Read somewhere that downloaded marketplace content can't be download on the external HDD. True or False?
Not too sure though cause it was an old post that said that.

Thx all ;)

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
Since the new Xbox uses standard SATA connections inside it, you don't have to bother with all of the proprietary crap that Microsoft houses everything in. Instead, all you'll need is a 250GB drive (like the ones stated in an above post) and that can just go straight inside the new 360, without any casing. You will need to format it though properly so you can use it in the 360. There are plenty of guides detailing how to do this on the Internet.

So once you've done that, you'll really have no need for an external hard disk apart from backing up saves if you want to which you'll only need a memory stick for.

TheTwoR's

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Livin in a box said:
Since the new Xbox uses standard SATA connections inside it, you don't have to bother with all of the proprietary crap that Microsoft houses everything in. Instead, all you'll need is a 250GB drive (like the ones stated in an above post) and that can just go straight inside the new 360, without any casing. You will need to format it though properly so you can use it in the 360. There are plenty of guides detailing how to do this on the Internet.

So once you've done that, you'll really have no need for an external hard disk apart from backing up saves if you want to which you'll only need a memory stick for.

Oh... K thx
smile.gif

250 GB Xbox, here I come wasting every last penny in my hand. =/

tsukael

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering about this since I bought the xbox slim arcade because I don't like the glossy version of the slim. IMO, the matte black version is sexier.

Thanks!

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheTwoR's said:
Sorry though, jet's answer was like, pwning
wink.gif

jet™ said:
No, if it's NTFS. Format it as FAT32 and it works

Wow thanks
smile.gif

EDIT: Read somewhere that downloaded marketplace content can't be download on the external HDD. True or False?
Not too sure though cause it was an old post that said that.
Though he is correct, my version is cheaper and is an "internal" Hdd substitute therfore being able to use it for storing Marketplace content (XBLA, DLC, ect.). Not only that but SATA is superior to USB.
So remind me how that was a pwning. My way is cheaper, faster, and stores Marketplace content. His way is a little easier to set up. For those keeping score thats 3 to 1. I think I win, no?

TheTwoR's

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
hundshamer said:

- WD VelociRaptor Series

Lol this is a very old thread but I'm bringing it back to life.
If you've seen my "what to get" thread, you'd know that I'm buying an xbox slim.
So I looked over this old thread again, and this particular post.
And now it got me thinking:

That video there shows how to get an OLD Xbox's HDD in the new Xbox slim.
I don't have an old Xbox, and the video doesn't mention anything about these 4 HDD's you mentioned.
So are you basically saying that I should buy one of those and all I have to do is remove the housing and stick it in the Xbox like the video?
Also, it doesn't need some sort of special formatting thing in order to be used like it was built in the Xbox? (I mean like does it need programs and whatnot or should I just shove it in like the video without doing anything to it and there I have extra capacity?)
Also, I WILL be able to use >16 GB of it right?
smile.gif

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TheTwoR's said:
hundshamer said:

- WD VelociRaptor Series

Lol this is a very old thread but I'm bringing it back to life.
If you've seen my "what to get" thread, you'd know that I'm buying an xbox slim.
So I looked over this old thread again, and this particular post.
And now it got me thinking:

That video there shows how to get an OLD Xbox's HDD in the new Xbox slim.
I don't have an old Xbox, and the video doesn't mention anything about these 4 HDD's you mentioned.
So are you basically saying that I should buy one of those and all I have to do is remove the housing and stick it in the Xbox like the video?
Also, it doesn't need some sort of special formatting thing in order to be used like it was built in the Xbox? (I mean like does it need programs and whatnot or should I just shove it in like the video without doing anything to it and there I have extra capacity?)
Also, I WILL be able to use >16 GB of it right?
smile.gif
Yes, you will be able to use all 250GB. You need to buy one of the mentioned drives, take off the casing and put it in your Xbox.

TheTwoR's

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
^
Wow okay thanks
smile.gif

But do I need to have it formatted in a special way? Are there files that are needed on there? Or do I just insert a blank one in the Xbox?

MalikNL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have a 1TB WD external HDD that works perfectly fine, I play all my games from there.
But I'm sure this only applies to JTAG consoles.

terryforever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
hi, i just bought my second hand xbox 360 with XBR mod.
my xbox only got 60gb, is not enough for me.
i wanted to get external hard disk with 500gb or less just for loading game from external hard disk
unsure.gif

now my question is,
1. can i play game from external harddisk?
2. any external harddisk also work wit xbox? like Seagate free agent Go?
3. any size of the harddisk will do? how about 500gb?

thx

MalikNL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
terryforever said:
hi, i just bought my second hand xbox 360 with XBR mod.
my xbox only got 60gb, is not enough for me.
i wanted to get external hard disk with 500gb or less just for loading game from external hard disk
unsure.gif

now my question is,
1. can i play game from external harddisk?
2. any external harddisk also work wit xbox? like Seagate free agent Go?
3. any size of the harddisk will do? how about 500gb?

thx

I also just bought an elite 120GB (JTAG) which ofcourse is not enough for me to store all my games on.
What I did was unplug my Western Digital external HDD (1TB) from my Wii console and connect it to the XBOX360 and just pray to god it would work
Which it did luckily..

So yeah you can play games from the external HDD perfectly fine using XEXLOADER.
Not sure though if all brands of hdd work but Seagate seems like a good enough brand.
Since my xbox works with the 1TB external HDD I would bet it also works with 500GB ones

I don't know if all this is also applicable to XBR modded consoles so I hope somebody with some more experience can provide more info

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ