Can I mod a display 3DS XL unit?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Devin, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Devin
    OP

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Is it possible? I'm not sure if they act like regular 3DS XL units minus not being able to hold a charge.

It's on 7.1.0-16U.

2. Devin
    OP

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Whelp, guess we're gonna find out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/221978882904

Worst comes to worst I'm out $80 if the 3DS bricks from installing CFW or something. Best case scenario is I get an exploitable 3DS XL for $80. Cheers.

3. gallymimu

gallymimu EE Expert

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    good luck and let us know how it goes. I've messed with display units at the store and they have some special firmware in them. They automatically boot directly to game when turned on.

4. squee666

squee666 Advanced Tech Pleb

Sep 17, 2010
    Belfast
    well it should just be a normal 3DS other than the fact its been well used as a display unit no special firmware the ones around mine locally boot into system menu and and such.

it obviously needs a new battery though

5. Jay1Gamer

Jay1Gamer Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2015
    United States
    Yeah, I'd just like to know what it does when there isn't a game in it. I'm sure people would like if you made a video about it

6. shadowofdarkness

shadowofdarkness GBAtemp Fan

Apr 17, 2007
    Canada
    That would be interesting to know but remember to make a NAND backup at the absolute earliest opportunity especially if it has a customized firmware for store models.

7. Devin
    OP

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Will do all of those suggestions. I found that there isn't much documentation or anyone else online trying this so it'll be an interesting experience. Hopefully in the end I end up with a sweet modded 3DS XL.

8. Jay1Gamer

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2015
    United States
    Yeah, if you do end up modding it successfully, then I'll probably buy one since 80$ really pretty cheap for a 3ds xl (even if the battery is gone)

9. Devin
    OP

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Yep I haven't seen many but the seller I bought mine from had about five other ones. The blue ones seemed unscathed while the black ones have cracks on the battery cover. (When they were pulled out by force? :ninja:) He's shipping it out tomorrow so we'll know by Wednesday. It'd be interesting to see in the NAND dump if there's anything special making the battery not being used. (On a side note I saw another 3DS XL he had was on an unreleased firmware. Pretty interesting. 8.1.2-14U. Probably from some demo cartridge.)

Ammako likes this.
  10. Jay1Gamer

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2015
    United States
    Hey! I know its been over a week and all those hacks came out but I was wondering if you were actually able to mod it.

11. Devin
    OP

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    I was but I messed up by installing the New 3DS XL firmware when updating my system NAND. Sent it to someone to get the NAND mod installed on it and hope to get it back next week or so. But yeah no problems installing rxtools or booting into rxmode.

12. Ruby Gloom

Ruby Gloom GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 25, 2015
    DalvĂ­k, Iceland
    Same. They come with a unique firm that prevents all outside user access. You can only play demos on them things.

13. Jay1Gamer

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2015
    United States
    OK. Good to know that it works!

Hope you get your NAND working again!

14. MAXLEMPIRA

MAXLEMPIRA Legends are Made from True Stories...

Jun 24, 2012
    Mexico
    Kanto <- Hyrule -> Unova
    really?? So it's safe to buy Display Unit for EmuNAND?? Excelent! Better buy one Before they disappear from eBay xD

15. Devin
    OP

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Yep. Worked fine with modding it. Just be careful when updating the NAND.

16. MAXLEMPIRA

MAXLEMPIRA Legends are Made from True Stories...

Jun 24, 2012
    Mexico
    Kanto <- Hyrule -> Unova
    Shure, but what about the battery and Homemenuhax? Works with a new one and boots fine the Homemenuhax even with a game?

17. Devin
    OP

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    The battery doesn't work at all but that's a given. I believe it's hardware wise as the software's the same as the normal 3DS XL. I don't have any 3DS games to test on it but I'm going to assume it's the game that make it autoboot into it rather than the 3DS itself. Can do more tests once I get it back.

18. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    Yep, I believe the auto boot flag is dictated by the demo cart, not the 3DS hardware.

Edit: For the curious, there's extensive documentation of the auto boot function in this 3dbrew entry.

Last edited by Zidapi, Jan 8, 2016