Hacking Can I mod a display 3DS XL unit?

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible? I'm not sure if they act like regular 3DS XL units minus not being able to hold a charge.

It's on 7.1.0-16U.

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
good luck and let us know how it goes. I've messed with display units at the store and they have some special firmware in them. They automatically boot directly to game when turned on.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
well it should just be a normal 3DS other than the fact its been well used as a display unit no special firmware the ones around mine locally boot into system menu and and such.

it obviously needs a new battery though

D

Deleted User

Yeah, I'd just like to know what it does when there isn't a game in it. I'm sure people would like if you made a video about it

shadowofdarkness

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That would be interesting to know but remember to make a NAND backup at the absolute earliest opportunity especially if it has a customized firmware for store models.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will do all of those suggestions. I found that there isn't much documentation or anyone else online trying this so it'll be an interesting experience. Hopefully in the end I end up with a sweet modded 3DS XL.

D

Deleted User

Yeah, if you do end up modding it successfully, then I'll probably buy one since 80$ really pretty cheap for a 3ds xl (even if the battery is gone)

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, if you do end up modding it successfully, then I'll probably buy one since 80$ really pretty cheap for a 3ds xl (even if the battery is gone)

Yep I haven't seen many but the seller I bought mine from had about five other ones. The blue ones seemed unscathed while the black ones have cracks on the battery cover. (When they were pulled out by force? :ninja:) He's shipping it out tomorrow so we'll know by Wednesday. It'd be interesting to see in the NAND dump if there's anything special making the battery not being used. (On a side note I saw another 3DS XL he had was on an unreleased firmware. Pretty interesting. 8.1.2-14U. Probably from some demo cartridge.)

Reactions: Deleted-236924
D

Deleted User

Hey! I know its been over a week and all those hacks came out but I was wondering if you were actually able to mod it.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey! I know its been over a week and all those hacks came out but I was wondering if you were actually able to mod it.

I was but I messed up by installing the New 3DS XL firmware when updating my system NAND. Sent it to someone to get the NAND mod installed on it and hope to get it back next week or so. But yeah no problems installing rxtools or booting into rxmode.

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
good luck and let us know how it goes. I've messed with display units at the store and they have some special firmware in them. They automatically boot directly to game when turned on.
Same. They come with a unique firm that prevents all outside user access. You can only play demos on them things.

D

Deleted User

I was but I messed up by installing the New 3DS XL firmware when updating my system NAND. Sent it to someone to get the NAND mod installed on it and hope to get it back next week or so. But yeah no problems installing rxtools or booting into rxmode.
OK. Good to know that it works!

Hope you get your NAND working again!

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The battery doesn't work at all but that's a given. I believe it's hardware wise as the software's the same as the normal 3DS XL. I don't have any 3DS games to test on it but I'm going to assume it's the game that make it autoboot into it rather than the 3DS itself. Can do more tests once I get it back.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm going to assume it's the game that make it autoboot into it rather than the 3DS itself. Can do more tests once I get it back.
Yep, I believe the auto boot flag is dictated by the demo cart, not the 3DS hardware.

Edit: For the curious, there's extensive documentation of the auto boot function in this 3dbrew entry.

Last edited by Zidapi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: HBD 2U