Hacking Can I just swap dvd drives on jtag?

Gagarin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My jtag dvd drive makes a strange sound when I turn the unit on. There is nothing wrong with it, just that sound. I have another xbox with dvd that is super quiet.
However, Iknow that xboxes have dvd keys. So what should I do just to swap them, or should I just leave the way it is.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Straight swap not as far as I am aware (at least not in a way that does any real good unless you want a DVD player). You should not have any issues with having to spoof things if you have moved to LT however as you can edit things properly (the 360 will just think it got sent to a repair shop and got a different model drive). Although my JTAG DVD drive still gets some usage do you really use the DVD drive in your JTAG that much (no disc no noise)?
I am a bit hazy on exactly what you have going on there with regards to what condition you want to keep the spare/new DVD drive in- some of the following do make it so it will not work (at least not without reflashing) on the 360 it came from.

I have not done it myself as flashing a drive is no great bother to me (not to mention I tend to replace like with like) but you have a few of ways of playing it from here

Whatever you do naturally you want try to keep a copy of any and all keys and dumps you see (especially if you are flashing a donor DVD drive)

1) It is possible to fiddle with the key vault and change the DVD key and OSIG (the part of the 360 NAND/keyvault that houses model information on the DVD drive and such) to that of the new drive there (rough overview http://www.thetechgame.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=690750.html - original NAND is not quite so necessary with recent tools and there are simple keyvault editing tools as well- do be aware even JTAG 360s do not care for messed up keyvaults (see Christmas lights) so keep in mind you might have to jump to a hardware NAND flash if you mess it up badly enough). This means the new drive would appear as the drive the JTAG 360 wants to use and it accepts it for what it is. In fact anybody with a CPU key can do this but pretty much the only people with a CPU key these days are JTAG owners and people that know all this already (and microsoft repair shops obviously).

2) If you are worried about say having to do a pogo ma thoin or probe hack on a liteon or wade into the nastiness that is hitachi xellous (or your NAND as you saw above) will quite happily spit keys out that your 360 thinks it wants in a DVD drive (not to mention you can pull other data from the NAND dump as above if you fancy getting really in depth). Build a hacked firmware with this info thus dodging the ever annoying DVD key dumping phase (for my money the only thing keeping 360 flashing from being trivial) and flash that.

3) Xellous can fiddle with DVD keys (although this will probably do little for you if you are changing models as it does not touch the OSIG).

Relevant part of the xellous NFO
Code:
ÂÂÂÂThe "Set DVD Key" should only be used by people who fully understand its use. This
ÂÂÂÂis not a DVD flashing feature and it doesn't fully pair a dvd to the keyvault. It
ÂÂÂÂsimply reads the dvd key from the keyvault and instructs the dvd drive to store
ÂÂÂÂthat key in its firmware. It does not store the dvd's OSIG in the keyvault and it does not 
ÂÂÂÂFlash the DVD firmware. You probably don't have a use for it.

I do not think anything nice happened in the 360 side DVD flashing world (I vaguely recall something in 360 linux way back although I might be remembering something with the NAND instead and some people got a bit excited with the new drive reflashing update although I have not heard anything) but you can have a look if you like.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-