Can I convert savegame region?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Thirty3Three, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Thirty3Three
    OP

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.
    Assuming this is a "no" but is there any way to Change the EU MM save file into a USA one? If it means anything I'm not using any header. I'm using Gateway. Thanks.

Margen67 likes this.
  2. kamesenin888

kamesenin888 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 20, 2007
    Dude with savedatafiler sometimes you can achieve this

3. Thirty3Three
    OP

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Seriously? How would one do such a thing? I just got the FDM in Majora's Mask, as well as the first two temples' stray fairy things... I'd like to... you know... avoid starting over if possible haha

4. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
  5. Thirty3Three
    OP

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
  6. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    In most cases there is little actual difference between regions in terms of how the games handle save data. If you export the save using SaveDataFiler, in most cases you can re-import that save into a different region version of that game.

Margen67 likes this.
  7. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Yeah. It essentially boils down to you taking the decrypted guts from one save and putting it into another save. I'm trying to figure it out myself for Monster Hunter 4 U (EU to US), but I'm having difficulties. May I ask why you want to change it, though? Since you're not using a header, you can't go online, and most DLC nowadays can be installed via .cia, so you don't need to worry about region differences.

8. Thirty3Three
    OP

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

And to Pedeadstrian, It must be an OCD thing. (Yes my N3DS is Japanese but) my 3DS is USA, and all the roms I have are USA, except for a given few. It's just an OCD thing I think, haha!

9. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    I'm a bit OCD with that sort of thing as well, but seeing my luck with the program so far, I doubt I'm gonna do this for every EU ROM I have. If you figure out how to do it, let me know. I'm not sure how common it is to have problems with the app, but I can't seem to get it working. If I do, I'll let you know, though. The guide is kind of ESL-y, so it's not easy for me to understand.

10. Thirty3Three
    OP

Mar 22, 2013
    United States

I'll definitely letchya know. And huh. Card shows as "broken" in SDF.

11. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    That's one of the problems I initially had, actually. You need to backup your save, rename it to 000400000FF40A00.sav, mount the game (but you don't need to start it) then try again.

12. Thirty3Three
    OP

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Interesting. So you rename any rom save to that specific name? I had some trouble understanding his guide.

13. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Yeah, I did too, that's why I haven't figured it out yet. Apparently 000400000FF40A00.sav is the save that SDF recognizes, so it doesn't show up as broken if you rename the currently mounted gamecard save to it.

Jackall4BDN likes this.
  14. Thirty3Three
    OP

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Neat. Okay so I've got the decrypted save. How would I go about placing it into the USA game (and can I give my USA game a header first and still have it recognize the data?)

15. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    That's actually the part where I'm stuck at. My decrypted save shows up in SDF, but I can't find it on my SD card. It should be in the filer folder, but nothing's there. So, uh, everything I say from now on is guesswork based on what I read in the thread, but what you need to do is make a save with the US rom, then follow with the same steps you did for the EU version, and then copy the raw EU data into the raw US folder, then import the save.

Regarding the header, I don't know. I think it'd be best to just keep copies of all the data you're getting and forget the header for now, because it's already difficult enough to go from EU to US. To go from EU .3ds to US .3ds to US .3dz just means more areas that you could screw up.

By the way, if you haven't already, you should definitely consider getting one of the FTP apps for the 3DS. It saves a ton of time and effort for things like this, where you need to copy, paste, and/or rename files several times.

16. kamesenin888

kamesenin888 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 20, 2007
    Dude even 4g is compatible with 4u I exported my jap save to the new game lol

17. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    I know it is, I just don't know how. I've tried following the steps but I'm stuck because I can't find where the raw save data is located.

18. Cjuub

Cjuub GBAtemp Regular

May 25, 2006
    I was able to this, but for EU->JP. I simply dumped the EU and JP (newly created) save in SDF, using the X button only (decrypted). I then swapped the file save0.bin (or something like that) in the JP-folder with in the EU, and then finally I renamed the JP folder to have the same unique ID as the EU version and imported in SDF. Worked flawlessly. I haven't tested with US version but I assume it would be the same.

19. Shinitai

Shinitai Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2013
    Uruguay
    Mount the USA game, go to savedatafiler, go to SD, select the save and press L + A. Your new save should be placed in 000400000FF40A00.sav, you'll have to rename it to use it.

And yes, you should be able to give the ROM a header before doing this. But why would you want to? I don't think MM has online capabilities.

20. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Margen67 likes this.