Hacking Can I Convert Card 1 to Card 2, and still trim? Or just convert to cia

Darktalon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

Using the New 3DS with Gateway. I have my entire collection in .3ds and .3dz format currently, I was wanting to get around having to hit home and close game to get my saves to stick. I see there is a tool to convert card 1 games to card 2. But does this mean I have to leave everything untrimmed? Currently trimmed I have the collection at 60 GB and untrimmed is at 86 GB.

Or should I just completely ignore that all and convert everything to .cia?

I have zero concerns about carrying over saves, I am starting fresh.

What is my best option?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
you cant really trim card2 games, you *can*, but you would have to do it manually and its kinda risky and if you trim too much it can lead to issues (lost saves etc), plus the tool that auto converts to card2 sets the writable region to near the end of the rom afaik, so you would only be able to trim a tiny area (say 1-10 mb from each rom)

imho, just use cia files mainly, and any you want on the GW card leave them untrimmed

but in all honesty, the save loss issue is pretty rare, it would only get you if you pull the gateway card out mid game, if the system crashes or if you dont exit the game before it runs flat.....other than that its pretty much perfect, and you can mitiate it by making sure you exit out of the game fairly regularly (say every hour or 2 so you never put yourself in the position of loosing hours of gameplay) or before you leave the 3DS somewhere if you don't plan to be returning any time soon

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well, you don't have to hit home and close, just powering off the 3DS will work just as well.
There is a way to trim card2 games, it involves backing up the save data, trimming, relocating the save location part of the header to the end of the actual data in the ROM and then restoring the save data, I believe. There might be a tool that can do it automatically.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @GhostLatte approves