Can DS ROM calibrate 3DS touch screen?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by DvoraKing, Nov 15, 2014.

1. DvoraKing
    OP

DvoraKing Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2014
    United States
    This is probably the wrong area to ask this, but I couldn't find a better place.

I'm a very paranoid person. Earlier I ran a DS firmware dump from my R4i Gold on my 3DS, and it asked to to calibrate screen, set up profile, etc.

It completely wiped out the DS/i profile section on my 3DS, but I went back in and restored it.

Something interesting I found is that, while configuring the firmware, even if I "set" the time incorrectly, it would be correct when moving onto the next step. Completely ignoring what I had entered and going with the 3DS' time/date anyway.

Which brings me to my main question: Does calibrating the touch screen through the DS firmware (or any DS ROM) actually re-calibrate the 3DS touch screen, or would it have also ignored that as well and be overridden by what it's already calibrated to?

2. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    DS firmware wasn't intended to run on the 3DS. It's probably trying to write to different memory addresses than 3DS firmware uses, that'd explain corrupt data.

3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    That, and only some portions of NVRAM are fully accessible in DS Mode. You can read it all, but you can't write to certain sections of it. It's entirely possible that screen calibration, date, time and other such settings were designed to be set in 3DS Mode and since Nintendo couldn't possibly anticipate users running DS firmware on the thing, you were met with an error.

Margen67 likes this.
  4. DvoraKing
    OP

DvoraKing Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2014
    United States
    The only thing that it visibly changed on the 3DS itself was my DS/i profile name, birthday, and color. I was just wondering, since the clock apparently cannot be changed in DS mode, if the same were true for the touch screen.

Or, is it possible that the touch screen is calibrated independently in DS mode from 3DS mode?