OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys,

I have a router, but only hook it up when I need access to Wi-Fi.
Why? Simply put, it seems to give me a lot of internet slowdowns and other problems.

Loading pages will stagger between normal speeds and slow speeds. Sometimes, pages won't even load up at all.

My download speed is also slightly affected (negatively), so whenever I'm downloading a large file, I end up disconnecting the router.

I really would like to keep my router hooked up so I can access Wi-Fi through things like my iPhone, Wii, etc, but the above occurs.
Note that my computer's internet with the router is still wired (wall cable thingy -> modem -> router -> computer (Ethernet)).

Do any of you experience these problems? Any advice for me?

Thanks!

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like some sort of DNS conflict or maybe a bad port or the cable you use to connect it is going bad.

Check the logs on the router and look at the in coming and out going packet count to see if there is something unusual.

Another thing that might help is make sure you are running the latest firmware and disable ping from the outside of the network.

As you can probably tell it can take a lot of work figuring out a network issue, best thing to do is break it down into logical steps. Check each one in order and check every setting.

Mac address clone could be an issue too. Make sure only one router is using the same MAC address, If your wireless has cloned your ISP's modem MAC (Some do I know mine does) if you leave the other router connected and it also has the same MAC address it can cause some issues.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
JonthanD said:
Sounds like some sort of DNS conflict or maybe a bad port or the cable you use to connect it is going bad.

Check the logs on the router and look at the in coming and out going packet count to see if there is something unusual.

Another thing that might help is make sure you are running the latest firmware and disable ping from the outside of the network.

As you can probably tell it can take a lot of work figuring out a network issue, best thing to do is break it down into logical steps. Check each one in order and check every setting.

Mac address clone could be an issue too. Make sure only one router is using the same MAC address, If your wireless has cloned your ISP's modem MAC (Some do I know mine does) if you leave the other router connected and it also has the same MAC address it can cause some issues.
Unfortunately, the logs for my router are rather "undetailed"..
QUOTE[Initialized] Monday, 16 Aug 2010 18:01:30
[ALLOW: www.google.com] Source: 192.168.1.2 Monday, 16 Aug 2010 18:01:46
[ALLOW: www.google.ca] Source: 192.168.1.2 Monday, 16 Aug 2010 18:01:46
etcetc

Just updated the firmware from 1.0.1.1 to 2.0.1.9.
Don't know how to disable ping. o.o

I don't get the whole MAC thing.
ohnoes.png

Well report back if there are any noticeable changes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol