Hardware Bypass boot.dat? Broken SD Main board Connector

Mindless2831

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope someone can please help or guide me in the right direction... I was having sd card issues, and I have had my switch since launch. After diagnostics I determined it was the slot itself. Bought an ifixit replacement and opened up the console, only to find that the connector on the main board itself is detached from the main board. I don't know what to do, but my kids are devestated. The console is clearly out of warranty as well... It is too tiny to solder for me or I would at least give that a go, because as it stands now, the console is a paperweight doing to not being able to boot it as it has sxos on it. If there is a way to remove sxos and use it without an SD card?

Basically if I could bypass the boot.dat requirement to get into the OS and just use the switch without an SD card, that would be the ideal solution here as I can not afford another switch and don't have the micro soldering skills to fix this... I hope this is possible to bypass and maybe revert my switch back to stock and use it that way... I do believe I have a NAND backup prior to the exploit if that helps.

n0where

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having the same issue you are. I'll probably just pay the $100 or so to have to adapter re-soldered back onto the main board....again...

Mindless2831

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having the same issue you are. I'll probably just pay the $100 or so to have to adapter re-soldered back onto the main board....again...
I can't even find a place that will do that, so I don't have that option... I thought about trying to find cheap enough micro soldering tips and a cheap magnifier, but that would cost what it would to pay someone and I'll likely mess it up... And at that point I'm 1/3rd the way to a new switch.

LyuboA

Unknown Entity
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I can't even find a place that will do that, so I don't have that option... I thought about trying to find cheap enough micro soldering tips and a cheap magnifier, but that would cost what it would to pay someone and I'll likely mess it up... And at that point I'm 1/3rd the way to a new switch.

OG v1 is always worth saving and in USA theres lots of ppl doing that kind of job
you can always find someone even if you have to send it
if you buy new Switch you will need to buy Mod Chip if you want to hack it that also requires soldering unless you want to buy v1 non patched second hand
so just look harder online i'm sure you will find a place where to fix it

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I hope someone can please help or guide me in the right direction... I was having sd card issues, and I have had my switch since launch. After diagnostics I determined it was the slot itself. Bought an ifixit replacement and opened up the console, only to find that the connector on the main board itself is detached from the main board. I don't know what to do, but my kids are devestated. The console is clearly out of warranty as well... It is too tiny to solder for me or I would at least give that a go, because as it stands now, the console is a paperweight doing to not being able to boot it as it has sxos on it. If there is a way to remove sxos and use it without an SD card?

Basically if I could bypass the boot.dat requirement to get into the OS and just use the switch without an SD card, that would be the ideal solution here as I can not afford another switch and don't have the micro soldering skills to fix this... I hope this is possible to bypass and maybe revert my switch back to stock and use it that way... I do believe I have a NAND backup prior to the exploit if that helps.
You can solder wires between the mainboard and daughterboard. I've seen a pinout posted on here before.

Mindless2831

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can solder wires between the mainboard and daughterboard. I've seen a pinout posted on here before.
How would this help in this situation? I wasn't aware there was a daughter board, or is that the sd card slot's board? I have seen someone solder from the main board directly to the reader chip but that was to bypass 1 broken wire. Also, still insanely small and I'm not confident I could do that... I'm willing to try anything,i may have to attempt the solder myself...

de9ed

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
From videos I watched. Hot air to desolder. And you need a very fine tip to attach the legs back. Or just hot air it back. Pre heat the pcb board is advisable

Last edited by de9ed,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
How would this help in this situation? I wasn't aware there was a daughter board, or is that the sd card slot's board? I have seen someone solder from the main board directly to the reader chip but that was to bypass 1 broken wire. Also, still insanely small and I'm not confident I could do that... I'm willing to try anything,i may have to attempt the solder myself...
There are test points for all the pins so you don't need to solder directly to the connector, so it's more feasible.

Reactions: mitcha

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: What.