BUYING THE GATEWAY!!!

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by blaziner, Oct 1, 2013.

1. blaziner
    OP

blaziner Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2010
    United States
    but before i do i need some things answered

i got firmware 6.1 can i play any and all games on this thing?

if not, will time change this?

can i play online? if i buy a game and play it without the card can i play online?

if you could list your pro's and con's i would love you.

2. elcravo

elcravo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 25, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Don't buy it. As for now you can't do anything with it since you are on FW 6.1. The Gateway only supports FW 4.5

3. Fluto

Fluto A potato in disguise

Apr 17, 2009
    The Moon
    You cannot play online. Gateway does this , not the rom, possibly to protect the user's 3DS in case if Nintendo takes action, or because everyone hacking mario kart races would ruin the game.

4. banjojohn

banjojohn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2007
    Did you do any research at all before posting?

5. josesixone

josesixone Member

Newcomer
    Sep 24, 2013
    Mexico
    GO on Craigslist and trade your 6.1 for a 4.5. Ebay has some listed 4.5 versions. You can also email Amazon sellers to see if the box says Copyright 2012. If it does, than this means it will usually have a 4.5 firmware.

6. blaziner
    OP

blaziner Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2010
    United States
    wow god damn helpful people right here

thanx all

great idea with the trade in thing, maybe ill give it a look-see.

still wondering about the flash cards and if i can play every game.

pretty sure theirs like 3 i can't access..

7. Ryukouki

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States

Currently it's only Monster Hunter 4 and Animal Crossing New Leaf that cannot be played due to Anti-Piracy measures and a special save. Everything else though is fair game. :)

8. blaziner
    OP

blaziner Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2010
    United States
    lol of course the 2 games i would of LOVED to play. That and smash coming up, hope thats good to go.

I will still be able to play normal games right? or will they ask for updates?

9. Ryukouki

Jan 31, 2008
    United States

Depends what you mean by normal games. I haven't been asked for updates as far as I am concerned. And I'm sure smash isn't going to work right off the bat on it. Most likely any future games from here on out are going to need time to work properly.

10. blaziner
    OP

blaziner Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2010
    United States
    i mean if i just pop in smash brothers or monster hunter, it will ask for updates right?

so basically those games are a no go?

seems like i should be checking back in a year for a r4 type quality card :(

11. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    It depends on the firmware they came with. If you have a 4.5 3DS, you can NOT play recent normal games without updating. You also won't be able to use the eShop. And Smash will probably have rather heavy antipiracy too when that finally gets released.

12. Ryukouki

Jan 31, 2008
    United States

More than likely. But don't waste your money or time on an R4 card. Spend a little more and get a Supercard DSTwo.

13. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    He means something like an R4 that will work for the 3DS and play 3DS games. And I doubt that's going to happen soon.

14. blaziner
    OP

blaziner Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2010
    United States
    well to me all cards are "r4 cards" i was not aware that was simply a brand.

I meant ill have to wait for a card that works as good as the nds cards work right now.

whatcha mean DStwo? won't i be waiting for the gateway first? as they seem to be the closest to cracking the enigma.

you mean DStwo quality?

15. blaziner
    OP

blaziner Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2010
    United States
    yea this, and i figure its a year or so away.

im willing to put up with a few things but i do want to be able to play every game.

16. Xexyz

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    沖縄県
    DSTwo is a DS flashcard it plays DS games. It works on DS, DSi, and 3DS. Gateway is a 3DS flashcard that plays 3DS games only and it only works on 3DS.

17. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    The DS2 is pretty much the best DS flashcart out there. (although build quality is terrible IMO, the features are good)

18. Ryukouki

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    The build quality is not that bad. Mines like a day one launch model and it hasn't shown any signs of damage. :P

19. blaziner
    OP

blaziner Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2010
    United States
    alright were good lol its like 8am and gta online has destroyed my life enough for one night

thanx for all the help