Hacking Buying new flashcard, need help

Relentless88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So after 3 years using my original R4 I finally need to buy another flashcard, basicly because the spring inside my r4 just went #@%#%@#% making the sd card not fit anymore. What card should I buy now, I prefer it would have ds-wii connectivity and regular firmware updates.

Thanks in advance

Matthew

Trophies
XP
Country
Get an R4 if you dont mind using only a 2gb card

Acekard if you want higher capacity

Supercard DSTWO if you want GBA emulation and movie play back

Your choice

Relentless88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well I just had a R4 and I don't want it again, since I couldn't connect to wii with it (pokemon battle revolution) and the spring problem.

nico445

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
go for the supercard ds 2, costs more then a r4 or acekard but totally worth it
smile.gif

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The 1:1 R4's don't have springs, so you won't have a spring problem. They will connect to the Wii, as you can use Wood R4. Best of all, they are just $6 from ShopTemp. The last Wood R4 update was on the 20th of September, and updates are frequent.

Relentless88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh I didn't knew the r4s sold now don't have springs, since when did they stop making r4s without springs because my 3 -year-old r4 has one.

Javacat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I just ordered a new flashcard last night, after breaking the spring in my original R4 (The SD card kept firing straight out). I'd been wanting a new flashcard for a few weeks and wanted something that supported SDHC. I had been eyeing up the DS2, but after a visit to the gbatemp.net irc channel decided to get an Acekard 2i.
The main things that swayed me to get the AK2i, instead of the DS2 were:
  • Cost
  • The crappy build quality of the DS2
  • Crappy support for the EZ 3in1
  • AKAIO is (apparently) kept more up to date
  • I'm not going to be getting a DSi, so compatibility isn't a major issue for me and the AK2i can be flashed anyway so no real issue
  • I'd never use the SNES emulator (The screen res is too low to even display the NES ffs!)
  • The CPU has no added value for me

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OP, if you really prefer Wii to DS connectivity then Acekard would be your best bet. Like what PharaosVizier has said, Acekard probably has the worst build quality out of all flashcarts.

Which to PharaosVizier by the way (since you own a lot of EZ-Flash), would you say that EZ-Flash Vi has a good Wii to DS connectivity?

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Matthew said:

Your choice

The acekard can also have movie play black 0_o just use moonshell, and i think all flashcard scan support moonshell, so all flashcards can support movie playback. Or are u talking about the DS2 DIVX playback that has not been released yet?

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Matthew said:

Your choice

R4 is the cheapest
Acekard has slightly better compatibility
Supercard DSTWO if you don't mind the price tag of 40 bucks.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
I'm not sure if I agree with all those points

1. The DS2 is not crapily built, it is just thicker than normal. In terms of durability it is pretty good. Arguably you can say the AceKard is worse off since the DOA rate is significantly higher (though lower now).

2. AKAIO sort of made the AceKard as it had the quickest updates. But as it stands right now, AKAIO hasn't been updating quite so fast, whereas the Supercard's anti-anti-piracy is actually quite impressive as it supported all of the problematic roms without any updates whatsoever. Supercard DS TWO has supported Pokemon Black and White, Professor Layton, Last Window, Etrian Odyssey 3 and so on without any updates, whereas other carts are still scrambling to fix them.

3. DSi support is available on both carts, the Supercard DS TWO does it a bit better, and the update came like a day faster than the AK2i's solution. But that really shouldn't be much of a deciding factor.

Nicely done PharaohsVizier

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo