Buying new Cart for DSi

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by HippoCrit, Apr 15, 2013.

Apr 15, 2013

Buying new Cart for DSi by HippoCrit at 12:30 PM (583 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. HippoCrit
    OP

Newcomer HippoCrit Newbie

Australia
    I ordered a DSi recently, and it should be arriving soon,
    I am going to get a cart for it, but I was am a bit confused about which one I should get.

I had a CycloDS Evolution for my DSL, and that served be well. I like it's ability to swap games without rebooting, it's high compatibility, it's easy use of Themes and it's good update support.

What I want in my card is a good menu (tried a friend's TTT, didn't like it's Menu), good compatibility, and I want it to last. I've read about DSi-Mode and it allowing for more powerful hardware use, and I was interested in this, but I want to know if it gives good enough performance boosts in games and homebrew for it to be worth looking into.

Thanks in Advance,
    HippoCrit

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
  3. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye D:

Norway
    I thought the TTDS had a similar menu to the CycloDS.
    Anyway the top of the line flashcart right now is the DSTWO (used to be the CycloDS), whenever it's blocked by a 3DS update it receives an update within a day that allows it to work again and the onboard CPU allows for rather good GBA and SNES emulation though not perfect.
    That and the R4i Gold are 2 of the few flashcarts worth considering right now. The R4i Gold is cheaper but you don't get any fancy features (though it does have RTS now). I recommend the DSTWO for the reasons i stated above.

4. HippoCrit
    OP

Australia
    Is this the card you are thinking of? http://www.ozmodchips.com/supercard-dstwo-ds2-p-297.html
    I do like the built in GBA and SNES Emulator, but does the GBA emulator require a Slot 2 card? Also, does the onboard CPU get used for anything but the built-in applications or can it also be used for other homebrew not built into the card? (e.g DSLinux, Moonshell)

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    GBA emulation needs no Slot-2.

None of the emulators are built-in, you'll need to download them separately (preferably the fixed versions, once the source was released, TempGBA for GBA and CATSFC for SNES). There's also a media player and some other DSTwo-specific homebrew, but not much.

Emulation on the DS is lacking. Even with the DSTwo, most games have to use frameskip to run fullspeed, and some don't run fullspeed at all, or even run at all. If you want GBA games, get an older DS, if you want emulation above the NES/GBC capability, don't get a DS at all.

6. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    If you want a great flashcard that works on the DSi, I suggest going with the DSTwo
    http://nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=135 (nds-card.com is GBATemp's official sponsor, so buying from them helps support the Temp! :mthr: )
    It doesn't work with DSi-Mode, but you really aren't losing anything by it not working in DSi-Mode.

Also emulation on the DS is kinda crap, I suggest if you want better emulation to go with a PSP or handheld made for emulation (Like a Dingoo or the soon to be released GCW Zero)
    -Lucario

7. superrainbow
    This message by superrainbow has been removed from public view by Costello, Jun 19, 2013.
    Apr 16, 2013
  8. HippoCrit
    OP

Australia
    I appreciate your help everyone, I guess the DSTwo is what I will be getting.
    Thank you all for help.