Gaming Buying a new computer

Digeman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys. So I just turned 20 and decided to get me something special, something every man wants, no not a stripper.....yet. Anywho a computer. And I decided to go all out on this one so it would last for a while atleast and also be updatable and pass the tests of time. So I went to this computer store where they showed me this supercomputer for a super high price (about 2000 dollars) and foolish as i was i didn't write down it's specs so you guys could warn me if i was getting fucked over or not...but i'll get that information untill tommorow rest assured. Anywho the only thing i do remember at the moment is the gfx cards. Now the guy went on about the new ati 5870 was the shit and was superduperfantastic.....now beeing the noob I am I just frowned in a convinced way and agreed. So the other card was nvidia gtx 295 i think. And he said i could choose one of'em and i'd still get'em for the same price. Now i've been reading in these forums and some say ati is better and some say nvidia is better. Someone even posted a picture comparing games in which the gtx 295 did have better fps than the ati 5870. So I'm in a pickle since i don't know which too choose and was wondering if you guys could explain the differences and other helpful stuff.

I would also like to know if there's a new card on the horizon soon? (heard something about gtx300 or something?). And if there is a new card coming out soon i might as well wait for that one and then decide.

Now know that I'm buying this computer for gaming, so what I want from the computer is basically it running games as awesomely as possible. And also that it is overpowered in every aspect....and also can stand the tests of time, (since the motherboard i was gonna get could support 3 gfx cards I can just add another or two in the future if needed. Thanks for reading this long post and any help is really apreciated guys. Thanks in advance!

Other specs i vaguely remember is an i7 processor but dun rememver which kind (as said i'll post that info tommorow). And here's the pic comparing games:

oBxVkJhXE.png

Digeman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Please refrain from posting stuff that has nothing to do with anything xD. Thanks for the laugh though, but still i'm really looking for help so another time brah xD

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Digeman said:
Please refrain from posting stuff that has nothing to do with anything xD. Thanks for the laugh though, but still i'm really looking for help so another time brah xD

Sorry
rofl2.gif
i just found that on Wiki and i had to
i know nothing of Graphics cards and such.
Hopefully someone else will help
biggrin.gif

wildfire95

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey mate,
i7 processors are currently intels top range, so on that front your okay.
The graphics card is also not that bad, ATi isnt better then Nvidia Geforce usually as well. Also, i reccomend getting 2-3 of them for that.. overkill feeling.

If you want more detailed info on whether its worth it try and tell us -
The processor GHZ.
The PSU (power supply unit), for the future, get a 1000Watt one to keep your new super computer cool.
Your max budget, that way i can find a better one for you
wink.gif

Add me on MSN as well, for further help -

Digeman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Alrighty man will do! I'll get that and more info untill tommrow. And my price range is at 2000 dollars. Dun really wanna go over that xD And i'll save getting the other 2 gfx cards untill the future ;P That way i can focus more on other things at the time beeing. Anyone else with other helpful advice and stuff?

Santee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2000 dollars that's huge for a budget but are you planning on building one or buying one pre made and if your building one do you want a p55 core i7 or Bloomfield one.

Digeman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
IchigoSJ said:
2000 dollars that's huge for a budget but are you planning on building one or buying one pre made and if your building one do you want a p55 core i7 or Bloomfield one.

Well it's a computer store that buys the parts you want and then they build it together for you. They do have some "sets" for different uses, like gaming etc. The one i chose was the hardcore one (and like i said i'll post info on it tommorow ;P). As for the processor i'm not really sure (newb as i am =D) but it was an i7 of some sort.

Digeman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright guys I've got the specs for the other parts!
smile.gif

So here's the list

Case: Antec Nine Hundred two

Motherboard: Asus P6T SE, X58

Cpu: Intel Core i7 Quad 950

Ram: Ocz DDR3 1600MHz 6GB Kit

Gfx card: well like we discussed earlier it's the 5870 by ATI

Harddrive: WD Caviar Greenpower 1000GB 32mb SATAII

DVD Burner: Sony DVDRW 24X SATA

And uhm...dunno how to translate this last part to english but it's the powersupply basically xD: AXP 850W 140mm Fan

So guys there's the list on the computer. I've been talking to a few people on what they think and it seems like most of it is good so now i wonder what you guys think. One thing however that i'm not sure about is the CPU. I checked to see how much it cost individually at an online store and found out it was about 770 dollars, just for the CPU! And there was another one quite similar like it for half it's price, INTEL CORE I7 860. And another one that was not as fast as the it 860 but still the same price, INTEL CORE I7 920.

So guys I really have no clue on what to get. I mean like i said the computer is for gaming and nothing else, and if the more expensive CPU will boost the performance conciderably than the rest i'd go with that one, but if there's not that big of a difference between the different CPU's i'd rather get the cheaper one and spend that extra money on another GPU instead. Any help is apreciated thanks! ;P

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
At the very least ditch the green power drive
wink.gif
. The CPU, I haven't watched the specs list on the latest i7s and i5s so not a clue which would be better. BUt for your hard drives, seeing as you are going overboard already, why not get 2 discs in raid 0 (Samsung spinpoint F3s for example)?

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cavier green isnt for installing your OS on, use green's as a backup/storage drive only. get a blue or black. if you want to go even further with the overkill, you can look into getting SSD's.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Digeman said:
Alright guys I've got the specs for the other parts!
smile.gif

So here's the list

Case: Antec Nine Hundred two

Motherboard: Asus P6T SE, X58

Cpu: Intel Core i7 Quad 950

Ram: Ocz DDR3 1600MHz 6GB Kit

Gfx card: well like we discussed earlier it's the 5870 by ATI

Harddrive: WD Caviar Greenpower 1000GB 32mb SATAII

DVD Burner: Sony DVDRW 24X SATA

And uhm...dunno how to translate this last part to english but it's the powersupply basically xD: AXP 850W 140mm Fan

So guys there's the list on the computer. I've been talking to a few people on what they think and it seems like most of it is good so now i wonder what you guys think. One thing however that i'm not sure about is the CPU. I checked to see how much it cost individually at an online store and found out it was about 770 dollars, just for the CPU! And there was another one quite similar like it for half it's price, INTEL CORE I7 860. And another one that was not as fast as the it 860 but still the same price, INTEL CORE I7 920.

So guys I really have no clue on what to get. I mean like i said the computer is for gaming and nothing else, and if the more expensive CPU will boost the performance conciderably than the rest i'd go with that one, but if there's not that big of a difference between the different CPU's i'd rather get the cheaper one and spend that extra money on another GPU instead. Any help is apreciated thanks! ;P
get a antec 1200 or CM HAF 932
pretty sure a 5870 will not fit in a mid tower, its 11" long

stick with a i7 920, instead of paying double the $ just for more ghz which you can do yourself
the 860 is faster the the 920 but I think its only compatible with P55 board

get a WD black series drive
most people get 2x 640GB (which are 2x 320GB platters for speed) and put them in a RAID0 array

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Joe88 said:
get a antec 1200 or CM HAF 932
pretty sure a 5870 will not fit in a mid tower, its 11" long

will CM HAF 922 fit?
I just ordered the case and I'm planning to order that as soon as it comes back to stock. Please let me know before i waste my money!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1