Burning Wii Backups In Ubuntu (help!!)

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by snkngshps, Nov 18, 2008.

Nov 18, 2008
  1. snkngshps
    OP

Newcomer snkngshps Member

United States
    Has anyone had any luck burning ISOs in Ubuntu and playing them in the wii backup loader channel? I've tried downloading three different ISOs.. I right click on them and go to "Write To Disc" but ubuntu gives me an error saying it's not a valid disc image. I know it's not a problem with my burner because I downloaded a Ubuntu ISO and burned it with no problems. I don't know if maybe it is the way the ISOs are archived in the torrents or what. I've also tried opening Brasero and burning the image from there. I am able to burn the disc but it doesn't play in the backup loader channel.

There is the slight possibility that I just don't have the backup loader channel installed correctly but I don't think that is the case. I had done the recent update from nintendo, before hearing about the backup launcher channel. But I followed the instructions to downgrade to the CIOS with no errors and I installed DVDX via the instructions with no errors and installed the backup launcher channel with no errors. Being that Ubuntu gives me an error when I try to burn the disc image I think the problem is on Ubuntu's end. If anyone has had any experience with this and can help, please let me know! Thanks!!

2. gumbyscout

Member gumbyscout GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You should be able to use some program like K3b to burn it off, even though I think k3b is kinda KDE exclusive.

3. snkngshps
    OP

United States
    Well Brasero will burn it, without an error. But in the past every time I've burned an ISO I've just right clicked on the file and went to "Write To Disc". I've never had an error and I've never had an issue with the disc after burning it. But every wii rom ISO I've tried has given me an error. Like I said, I can burn it in Brasero without an error but I haven't been able to get it to play on the backup loader channel.

Side question, is there a way to check and make sure everything is set up properly for the backup channel? I'm pretty sure I did it correctly but I want to check and make sure the problem isn't on the wii's end and not my computer.

4. hartleyshc

Member hartleyshc GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Im pretty sure youve just never noticed that error before.
    Ive used Brasero before, but I usually use k3b. I get the non iso9660 error on both of them, every time.

Just burn the disc, it will work fine.

5. snkngshps
    OP

United States
    I have ignored the error and kept burning and so far I haven't had any luck. The error might be on the Wii's end I suppose. I have a thread investigating that possibility also: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=116...p;gopid=1562084 I might just need to try and start over completely.

6. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I have used Brasero and had good results. I've recently switched to K3b and like it better and have good results from that as well. I have an LG drive. Not sure what is happening with you there. I also get the "non iso9660" error, but it doesn't make any difference.

You can try using imgburn under Wine, that's worked for me as well.

You can use all of these programs regardless of your window manager / desktop manager as long as you have the proper dependencies. I'm running fluxbox and have no issues. Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit.

7. hartleyshc

United States
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iso9660

iso9660 is the standard that pretty much most media uses. at least media you would insert in your computer.
    the wii doesn't use this standard. decrypted games might use the 9660 standard, which is why the errors might not have shown up for some before.

8. Arm the Homeless

Member Arm the Homeless Custom Title

United States
    I use Nero Linux trial. [​IMG]

9. hartleyshc

United States
    this is sarcasm right?

10. blitzer320

Member blitzer320 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    write to disc is the gnome burner and it is not compatible with dvd isos so you have ot use brasero you can search for it on synaptic

11. Venko

Member Venko GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I'll second what Hooya said about ImgBurn. I use it to burn all Wii backups and find that it works well under Wine (the program even mentions Wine as supported on its website).

Install Wine:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine
    Configure Wine and select autodetect under drives so that it will configure your optical drive for Wine.
    Code:
    winecfg
    Then download and install ImgBurn:
    Code:
    wget http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.4.2.0.exe
    wine SetupImgBurn_2.4.2.0.exe
    Now you can launch ImgBurn from Wine ->> Programs ->> ImgBurn (if you're using Gnome Do simply restart it and you'll be able to launch it via that too).

12. blitzer320

Member blitzer320 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    that takes too much just use brasero

13. snkngshps
    OP

United States
    Thank you, I guess I know now that the problem is on my Wii's end and not my computer. I came close to formatting my hard drive and resintalling intrepid ibex. I'm glad I didn't do that.

I'm pretty sure I did everything correctly on my Wii.. but is there any way I can just delete everything related to the Wii Backup Loader and try it again? What all would I need to delete?