Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Bungie, the studio that created the Halo franchise, will be partnering with Activision for an "exclusive, worldwide partnership" the developer revealed this morning. The partnership will last for the next ten years.

Bungie was founded in 1991 and was purchased by software giant Microsoft in 2000, but parted with the company in October 2007. After the split, Microsoft created a subsidiary to handle now owns the rights to the Halo franchise — a franchise that Bungie created.

According to the official press release, "Under the terms of the agreement, Activision will have exclusive, worldwide rights to publish and distribute all future Bungie games based on the new intellectual property on multiple platforms and devices. Bungie remains an independent company and will continue to own their intellectual property."

"We chose to partner with Activision on our next IP because of their global reach, multi-platform experience and marketing expertise," said Harold Ryan, President of Bungie in the official release. "From working together over the past nine months on this agreement, it is clear that Activision supports our commitment to giving our fans the best possible gaming experiences."

"Bungie is one of the premier studios in our industry and we are extremely pleased to have the opportunity to work with their talented team over the next decade," stated Thomas Tippl, Chief Operating Officer of Activision Blizzard. "Bungie has developed some of the most compelling and successful games, multiplayer experiences and thriving fan communities, and this alliance underscores our long-standing commitment to foster the industry's best creative talent. Our unprecedented partnership with Bungie will enable us to broaden our pipeline of exciting new games as we continue to strengthen our industry position and pursue long-term growth opportunities."

Bungie is currently working on Halo: Reach for Microsoft Game Studios. The title is expected to be one of the biggest titles released this year. Beta begins today.

They sure like those evil publishers.
tongue.gif

Coming soon: Call of Duty: Universal Warfare.

http://kotaku.com/5527119/halo-developer-j...with-activision

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
they finally got of m$ leash now maybe they can make some actual GOOD games instead of 1 shooter remade over and over
tongue.gif

Your forgetting microsoft owns Bungie. Remember they bought it to keep halo 2 from being port to the wii and stop ps3 from getting halo3.

EDIT: rereads topic starter! I DIDN"T know they split from Micro-crap!!!!!

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chartube12 said:
Bladexdsl said:
they finally got of m$ leash now maybe they can make some actual GOOD games instead of 1 shooter remade over and over
tongue.gif

Your forgetting microsoft owns Bungie. Remember they bought it to keep halo 2 from being port to the wii and stop ps3 from getting halo3.
Where did you get that info from?

Microsoft bought Bungie in 2000 so that Halo could be released first and only for that console. Back then they didn't even know it would be successful to warrant a Halo 2.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Gaydrian said:
chartube12 said:
Bladexdsl said:
tongue.gif

Where did you get that info from?

Microsoft bought Bungie in 2000 so that Halo could be released first and only for that console. Back then they didn't even know it would be successful to warrant a Halo 2.
Indeed, back then people expected companies like Rare to be far more successful on the Xbox (I know I did).

I think we can safely assume that Bungie won't be working on Halo games after Reach, at least not in the next few years. Hopefully their next project will be an interesting one. Hopefully they also go back to being really multiplatform. Bungie used to make games for Mac and Linux as well. I hope their next game will run on Linux, Mac, Windows, Xbox 360 and PS3. A Wii project would be nice as well
smile.gif

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Surprise surprise, they are going multi-format with the first game!

QUOTE said:
Bungie's ten-year publishing agreement with Activision will bring the next game from the famed-developers of Xbox 360 exclusive Halo, to all platforms.

"Today we are very proud to announce a ground breaking ten year partnership between Bungie, one of the greatest developers in the world and the makers of Halo, with Activision, the number one video game publisher, who will bring the new intellectual property to fans worldwide across all platforms," said Thomas Tippl, Chief Operating Officer of Activision Blizzard.

The deal, termed an "alliance" by both Bungie and Activision executives, took nearly a year to lock down, Tipple said.

"We are always looking at opportunities to bring great games to gamers world wide there are very few studios in the world of the caliber of Bungie, with the track record of making great games that sell," he said. "As such we began discussions with Bungie about nine months ago..."

More details on the news this morning that Bungie has signed a ten-year publishing deal with Activision can be found here.

Harold Ryan, president of Bungie, said the deal will allow the "alliance" to bring their next game and "universe" to the widest audience possible.

I can't remember the last Activision game (if any) to only come out on one format.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
isn't the halo IP owned by ms now? you won't be seeing halo games on any other platforms than 360/pc.

here's to hoping they'll go back to the Marathon or Oni Series.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Cermage said:
isn't the halo IP owned by ms now? you won't be seeing halo games on any other platforms than 360/pc.

here's to hoping they'll go back to the Marathon or Oni Series.
Oni was awesome.

Oh well, let's say goodbye to another game company.

The evil ActiBlizzard strikes again
frown.gif

D

Deleted_171835

F'ing Activision. Ironic considering it's right after the InfinityWard-Activision debacle.
Hopefully, their new IP won't be an FPS.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may be interesting. Semi related news.

Anyway, seriously, I'm sick with people bashing Halo. I don't really like it myself but going "BOO HALO IS BAD" is getting old. Same with Call of Duty.

I really don't know what Bungie will do. Halo is licensed with Microsoft and I really don't know what will happen from there. Maybe they'll put them in place of Infinity Ward for Call of Duty. Nothing gets more attention than "Hey, it's the guys who made HALO making CALL OF DUTY!"

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's wrong with Call of Duty? I've played 4, 5, and 6 and they're not horrible, I really enjoyed them. Sure they come out a bit too often, but on a forum of pirates that's kind of a non-issue. Halo's not really my thing (console FPS ick) but it seems fun enough from watching friends play it.

This merger could be quite nice, as long as they allow Bungie to work on the games and Activision just sticks to publishing.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
This may be interesting. Semi related news.

Anyway, seriously, I'm sick with people bashing Halo. I don't really like it myself but going "BOO HALO IS BAD" is getting old. Same with Call of Duty.

I really don't know what Bungie will do. Halo is licensed with Microsoft and I really don't know what will happen from there. Maybe they'll put them in place of Infinity Ward for Call of Duty. Nothing gets more attention than "Hey, it's the guys who made HALO making CALL OF DUTY!"

QUOTE(SylvWolf @ Apr 29 2010, 06:22 PM) What's wrong with Call of Duty? I've played 4, 5, and 6 and they're not horrible, I really enjoyed them. Sure they come out a bit too often, but on a forum of pirates that's kind of a non-issue. Halo's not really my thing (console FPS ick) but it seems fun enough from watching friends play it.

This merger could be quite nice, as long as they allow Bungie to work on the games and Activision just sticks to publishing.

It's not really the games themselves (well actually it kind of is for Halo, the only new thing to the series was Halo Wars) but the legion of mindless 15 year old zombies that would buy the next game even if all they did was add 1 new gun.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over