Building new computer

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by NunoSnica, Sep 8, 2012.

Sep 8, 2012

Building new computer by NunoSnica at 11:51 PM (878 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. NunoSnica
    OP

Newcomer NunoSnica Member

Portugal
    Hey guys, I'm making my own computer, but since I am no expert, I'd like someones oppinion on the pieces I put together. Basically I'm building a gaming computer, with as less money as possible.

Heres what I'm thinking of getting:

Motherboard- ASUS P8H61-M
    Processor- INTEL CORE i3 2120 (3.3GHZ)
    Graphics card- ASUS GT440 DI 1GB DDR5
    HDD- WESTERN DIGITAL 500GB SATA III 64MB GREEN
    PSU- XFX PRO 550W CORE EDITION
    RAM- CORSAIR KIT 8GB DDR3 1333MHZ XMS3

And a dvd writer/reader xD

So, I'd like to hear your oppinion on this machine. It's not intended to run hardcore games at maximum settings.

What it is intended is to run most games at at least medium settings.

Give me your thoughts and oppinions please.

Thanks in advance.

P.S: I only noticed now that the links are attached to the stuff I'm getting. You can either ignore those or click on them to see the stuff I'm getting. By the way that's the shop I'm gonna get the stuff from.

2. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Seems alright to me. I have almost the exact same setup but half the RAM and a different mobo and it runs almost everything on high settings, so you should be just fine.

I recommend overclocking the GPU to 900mhz and the shader clock to 1700mhz, everything runs relatively stable and the GPU doesn't heat up too much.

3. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Budget?

4. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Check out the Gskill Ram instead

5. NunoSnica
    OP

Portugal
    @Suprgamr232 Thanks for the fast reply, that is good to know. I was afraid the PSU wasn't good enough or something like that.

@soulx budget is around 500€

@cobleman hi, thanks for your recomendation! Why would I want Gskill ram instead? Thanks for all the input!

6. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    I had corsair and it didnt run as fast as the Gskill i know they may have the same numers and speed but they can be so diffrent when installed

7. NunoSnica
    OP

Portugal
    Thanks for telling me. They are a bit expensive, is this the one you recomend? GSKILL KIT 4GB DDR3 1600MHZ ECO (CL7) I don't mind running 4gb instead of 8. I kind of think 8 is a bit overkill for me, but a friend said that ram is never too much.

8. AceWarhead

Member AceWarhead "Must Construct Additional Pylons"

United States
    Well, 8GB is fast becoming popular for future proofing, and GSKILL are excellent memory makers. I recommend getting the 2x4GB DDR3 RIPJAW memory.

9. NunoSnica
    OP

Portugal
  10. AceWarhead

Member AceWarhead "Must Construct Additional Pylons"

United States
  11. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Ok, someone really needs to clear up the myth about RAM from this thread.

Firstly, the Core i3 you picked only has a 1333Mhz bus. Any faster RAM you throw in will only behave like 1333Mhz, so speed and CL timings will give nearly identical performance in all low-mid range systems.
    Secondly, Corsair and Gskill and OCZ and Adata and Samsung and Kingston RAM all perform nearly identically. The RAM brand does not matter.

The advice has been since the first Core i CPUs to get the cheapest RAM kit that you can find, since only high end (read, overclocked) systems can actually make use of high performance RAM.

The other piece of advice is to look for 1.5v RAM since they use less power than 1.65v RAM, but if you're asking for advice in these forums for a low budget build PC than you're unlikely to be able to know what difference this makes.

12. NunoSnica
    OP

Portugal
    @Originality I see. Thanks for bringing that up! So basically I should get the cheapest 8gb kit(as long as it isn't some white brand) I can find, and if possible, see if they are 1,5v right?

And yes, I have no idea of the difference between 1,5v or 1,65v. And because of this I'd like to ask you for a small explanation if possible :)

13. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    In short, stability. Sometimes when you add RAM, you need to increase the voltage to make it more stable. This is especially the case when you overclock. With 1.5v RAM (which is actually the standard for DDR3 RAM), you've got a little headroom to increase it to 1.55v if you really need it. At 1.65v (which is the secondary market for DIMMs that failed the 1.5v test), you have no headroom at all for stability.

That's not to say that 1.5v = high quality, just that it passed the stability test at 1.5v.

Personally, I wouldn't mind paying slightly more for aesthetically better RAM, but it won't change the performance at all. Corsair XMS3 is the standard I put in many rigs, and only in the high end rigs do I opt for something more pricey. It all works, but when I want to show off an enthusiast-grade system, it helps to pick flashy RAM.

14. NunoSnica
    OP

Portugal
    I see. Thank you very much for clearing that up.

Also, to everyone else, thanks again for all the help! Really appreciate it.