Hardware Building a gaming PC

Godamit

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey guys, I'm interested in building myself a new PC since my current PC can barely run the newest games.
I'm sticking to a budget of $1,000 (which I hear is an optimal amount for a very good PC), however I am willing to go above that by a few $100, but only if absolutely necessary.
The following is a list of all components I'm considering (and that are required for a complete system, so if there's something missing please notify me
smile.gif
).

Case: Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 $139
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz $215
Heatsink and fan: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler with Noctua NF-P12 120mm Fan $59
RAM (memory): Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE $99
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67 $239
Graphics card: GTX 560 $269
PSU: Corsair TX-650 ATX Power Supply Unit $113

From old setup (current PC)
Monitor: 23" Full HD
Hard Drive: Have 2 (640GB + 2TB)
Keyboard: Wouldn't mind a new one if you guys recommend something.
Mouse: Current one is bad, so I'll probably buy a new one.
CD/DVD-Drive: May just borrow from current PC.
Sound Card: Might just borrow it from my current PC (taking the whole sound system and giving it to the new PC)
Network Card: Would prefer to get a new one.

Current total: $1,162 (incl. shipping)

I have added some notes next to a few and empty fields simply mean I haven't decided on a specific model yet (I will edit this post as we go along so someone who's more knowledgeable than I can give me the thumbs up to go ahead and start collecting the parts after it's all dealt with).

EDIT: Gonna have to skip on the HD6970. The max. I currently have funds for is $1200, so unfortunately this card is out of the question.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
As in the last post of this kind, here's a table to help you (along with advice on each part):
Guide.png
This should give you a very good idea of what parts to get. That aside, you won't need a new network card (unless it's for WiFi) since motherboards come with Gigabit LAN as standard.

My suggestion:
CPU: Core i5-2500K or Core i7-2600K (depending on how much of the budget you want to put into the CPU)
Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) for overclocking or ASUS Sabertooth P67 for gaming.
Heatsink: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advance. If you don't mind going more expensive, the Pro version has better cooling.
Graphics: HD6970. Actually a HD5770 or a GTX 550 would be enough for you to play games on max, but you probably want to play all games on max for the next four years.
PSU: Anything from a well known brand (Antec, Tagan, Enermax, Corsair, OCZ, etc) that's more than 600W.

I won't suggest a case, since that's more down to your personal taste. The Antec series is good (Antec 100, Antec 902 or Antec 1200 depending on how big you want it), Lian Li do many good cases, and Silverstone have been getting some good reviews (even if they're on the expensive side). As long as it has good airflow, it won't matter much which you choose.

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nice to see someone who actually does their research for once
smile.gif

Your current list looks fine, although I'd get a slightly more powerful psu if you afford it. 650W should be enough for your system, but its a good idea to get higher in case you want to overclock or upgrade in the future.Try getting a 750W or above. (Note: Quality if more important than power, and a good brand 650W like your corsair would be better than a shitty 750W)

For your network car, g or n? Mouse is pretty much personal choice, so I'll leave that to you.

Godamit

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
For my network card, it's g. Thanks for the PSU notes, I'll take a look at the prices I can get for 750W. If I find it reasonable then I'll go that route.

Godamit

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bumping this to let you know that I updated my first post with the final parts. Everything is ordered and should be here by the end of next week (starting tomorrow).

Now, I have failed to mention this is my first time building a custom PC (I've only tinkered with a handful of components and replaced things, but never built from scratch) and I was curious what are the hardest parts about this process?
Am I mostly just doing "lego for big boys" (as I read somewhere on this forum) or are there some things such as with the motherboard I may need assistance with?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The most complicated part to fit in is the heatsink. Second is the motherboard (even though that just involves screwing it down, sometimes the heatsink and the case gets in the way of the top left screwhole), and third is the PSU (knowing where to put all the cables and keeping unused cables out of the way). When you get the parts, you'll have to work out for yourself which order you'll have to put it together.

Start by looking at the heatsink instructions. If it can be easily fitted when the motherboard is in the case, then do it that way. If it's too fiddlely, then put it on whilst the motherboard is outside of the case to make it easier. Don't forget to put the CPU in first. Once the heatsink is in place and the motherboard is screwed down, put the PSU in and start thinking about where you'll thread all the cables. The rest is just slotting in the RAM, graphics card, HDDs and ODD, giving them all power, connecting SATA cables, and finally pushing in the front panel connectors (be careful, this involve pins that can easily bend, although the motherboard will come with an adaptor to make it easier for you).
EDIT: I forgot to mention plugging in the connectors for the case fans. They'll either use Molex power or 3-pin motherboard connections. In the case of the 3-pin types, there'll be 3-pin fan headers scattered around the motherboard. It's just a matter of plugging them all in.

After that, plug in the power, monitor, mouse, keyboard, and Ethernet cable(if you have one) and enjoy setting it up for the first time.

nico445

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Godamit said:
Thanks for the instructions, guess the fact I'm overly careful with new things will come in handy
smile.gif
you don't have to be super carefull. i've had a internship at a computer shop (google translate says internship so not sure if it's right)
and my first fault there was not pushing the ram hard enough in it. and because of that i managed to fry the ram and a ram slot on the motherboard.
when you plug in the cables from the case (power reset etc.) you should just open your motherboard manual in there you can see
which cable needs to be plugged in where. the rest is pretty simple

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Internship, work placement, work experience... it's all the same thing - working without getting paid, in order to get experience.

Regarding the RAM... all you do is make sure it's the right way up, then push it in at each end until the clip "snaps" in. I didn't mention it in my last post because I take it for granted and it's mentioned in the motherboard manual anyway.

Godamit

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Don't worry, I've installed RAM, graphics card, etc, before I've just never had to deal with putting in the motherboard/heatsink/PSU.

EDIT: My only other concern is applying thermal paste to the heatsink. Have to squeeze 3 thin lines on each copper pipe on this heatsink so when I connect it to the motherboard it is spread due to being flattened.
Overall, is applying the paste at all trivial or will it be easy enough?

EDIT2: Also, considering the new mobo, I'll have to reformat my HDD/s. Now, currently I use my 640GB as OS and my 2TB for backups etc. Is a reformat necessary only for the OS HDD (where drivers, etc are installed) or will I have to reformat my backup (2TB) HDD as well? >.

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Godamit said:
Don't worry, I've installed RAM, graphics card, etc, before I've just never had to deal with putting in the motherboard/heatsink/PSU.
As long as you don't screw your mobo directly to the mobo tray without the spacers, you should be fine

QUOTE(Godamit @ Jul 23 2011, 06:48 AM) EDIT: My only other concern is applying thermal paste to the heatsink. Have to squeeze 3 thin lines on each copper pipe on this heatsink so when I connect it to the motherboard it is spread due to being flattened.
Overall, is applying the paste at all trivial or will it be easy enough?

Actually, this can be problematic if you put too much paste ( especially if it's arctic silver) cause it will spill and shorts some pin on the mobo, potentially causing some damage. I would only recommend to place one drop on the center of the heat spreader (on the cpu), put the heatsink on it, and apply a gentle pressure while gently making a circular gesture to spread the paste. And, without removing the heatsink, use some paper towel to check if some paste spilled on the side of the cpu.

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the provided thermal mat which is preapplied is usually enough if you're not overclocking, thermal paste is not always needed.

This is of course if you're using the default heatsink.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
...And listed is a third party heatsink. One that probably does not have pre-applied paste (judging from the pictures at least).

I personally use Zalman thermal paste - it comes with a brush to apply it in a similar fashion to nail varnish.

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Godamit said:
Oh, so I can skip the thermal paste entirely if I don't plan to OC?
Hmm, nice to know
smile.gif
No, if you're not overclocking then you don't really need an aftermarket heatsink, the stock heatsink which comes with the CPU with pre-applied thermal paste will be fine.
EDIT: Whilst you don't need it, it will still lower temperatures.

Godamit

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guess I actually should though, never know when I'll change my mind. Best to get it out of the way regardless, so I will apply it.
Though judging from a few things I've seen from the provided paste, it SHOULD be fine (as in not spilling), guess I'll just wait till I actually get it.

Though could anyone answer my question regarding reformatting?
Here's the question so you don't have to go back:
Considering the new mobo, I'll (from what I've heard) have to reformat my HDD/s. Now, currently I use my 640GB as OS and my 2TB for backups etc. Is a reformat necessary only for the OS HDD (where drivers, etc are installed) or will I have to reformat my backup (2TB) HDD as well? >.

nugundam0079

Exemplary Сasual Dating - Legitimate Girls
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkmenistan
I think I'll just buy a prebuilt gaming rig-work doesnt afford me the time to go looking for all this parts.

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You just need to reformat the drive with the OS, the 2tb should be fine.

nugundam0079: I'm sure people here would pick out parts for you if you listed your requirements, and building is very simple. It takes bout 2-3 hours if its your first time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16