Torsten_0000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi there,

I play with my switch mainly in docking mode.
When I'm done with games I put them on standby and then disconnect the power from the docking station to save the battery.
However, I leave the switch in the docking station.

If I want to play again I connect the power of the DockingStation and wake the switch from standby.

It has always worked so far.
I also had no problems with multiple firmware.
Since I went to Frimware 8.1, it doesn't work anymore.
The docking station no longer wakes up.

the only option:
Remove the switch from the docking station, switch on the power supply and reinsert the switch.
only then will it work again.

my question to you: does it help my switch to install a higher firmware to solve this problem?
Does anyone else have this problem?

Torsten_0000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi there,
I play with my switch mainly in docking mode.
When I'm done with games I put them on standby and then disconnect the power from the docking station to save the battery.
However, I leave the switch in the docking station.

If I want to play again I connect the power of the DockingStation and wake the switch from standby.

It has always worked so far.
I also had no problems with multiple firmware.
Since I went to Frimware 8.1, it doesn't work anymore.
The docking station no longer wakes up.

the only option:
Remove the switch from the docking station, switch on the power supply and reinsert the switch.
only then will it work again.

my question to you: does it help my switch to install a higher firmware to solve this problem?
Does anyone else have this problem?

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you put your switch in standby there is no reason to disconnect power from the dock. Why are you doing that?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If you put your switch in standby there is no reason to disconnect power from the dock. Why are you doing that?
As he said, to save the battery. Keeping it at full charge all the time is bad for the battery. Lithium batteries do not as readily accept charge at nearly empty or nearly full capacity, and heat up more and wear out more when charging at nearly empty or nearly full. They also don't like being stored at either for a long period of time which is why batteries from the factory are always charged to 50%-60% since they may sit around for a while before being sold.
In fact, generally speaking you can triple the battery life by never discharging it below like 30% or above like 70% (forgot the exact numbers), but that's not really realistic for most people. It's standard practice in the military though.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
Keeping it at full charge all the time is bad for the battery. Lithium batteries do not as readily accept charge at nearly empty or nearly full capacity, and heat up more and wear out more when charging at nearly empty or nearly full
So then it isn't good for the battery when i use the switch docked only? What happens at the moment when the battery reach 100%? Does it stay with these 100%? Or is the thing brought back to 100% each time as soon as the battery level reaches 99%?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So then it isn't good for the battery when i use the switch docked only? What happens at the moment when the battery reach 100%? Does it stay with these 100%? Or is the thing brought back to 100% each time as soon as the battery level reaches 99%?
It doesn't keep constantly trickle charging once it reaches 100% (that would kill the battery very quickly), it might go down to like 97% before it starts charging again, that will still put extra wear on the battery, although probably not as much as if you played handheld only all day and charged it up multiple times a day.

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
So it is not very healthy to operate the switch only docked? That was my plan for the next switch coming into our house. With our first one, i can't afford that because fusée gelée consoles are becoming increasingly rare.

Torsten_0000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

as soon as the battery is at 100%, it no longer falls down, at least I didn't notice anything else. charging permanently is bad. it also makes sense to completely empty the battery and recharge it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

could someone who has firmware over 8.1 look if the problem still exists?
I don't want to update too much

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As he said, to save the battery. Keeping it at full charge all the time is bad for the battery. Lithium batteries do not as readily accept charge at nearly empty or nearly full capacity, and heat up more and wear out more when charging at nearly empty or nearly full. They also don't like being stored at either for a long period of time which is why batteries from the factory are always charged to 50%-60% since they may sit around for a while before being sold.
In fact, generally speaking you can triple the battery life by never discharging it below like 30% or above like 70% (forgot the exact numbers), but that's not really realistic for most people. It's standard practice in the military though.
That seems silly. I have a switch that is docked almost 24/7 and I never disconnect the power. Only put it to sleep. When I do undock it the battery works just fine for as long as I need it to. Going on 2 years now. Come on people. Use some commen sense.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That seems silly. I have a switch that is docked almost 24/7 and I never disconnect the power. Only put it to sleep. When I do undock it the battery works just fine for as long as I need it to. Going on 2 years now. Come on people. Use some commen sense.
Give it one more year ;)
That's usually when I start noticing considerably decreased battery life on laptops (my laptops always stay plugged in)
A year later, and the battery life is only a fraction of what it used to be. It goes downhill really quickly after it first starts really wearing out.
5 years, and the battery is as good as dead. Not good for much unless you like being tethered to the wall.

In battery datasheets and specifications you commonly find a lifetime rating. Something like "70% capacity left after 500 charges". That's referring to 500 full discharge and charge cycles. Exactly what this equates to in terms of being left plugged in and trickle charged is hard to say but from my experience, between 2-3 years of always being left plugged in is when it hits the 70% capacity mark - or sooner with a low quality battery. Using the 30%-70% charge method (again, forgot the exact numbers) you can in theory increase that to 1500 full charge cycles (divided up over more smaller charges), at least from what I've read about it, I've never tried it myself, but if the military swears by it, there must be something to it.

Now this all depends on how you use your Switch. If you use it docked every day then leaving it docked in all likelihood won't make much difference as the battery doesn't get a chance to drop much below 100% even if you were to unplug it, and charges right back up as soon as you put it in the dock to play again.
If you use it once every few days or less, or very intermittently, it's best to unplug and turn it completely off when not in use, or you're just wasting charge cycles due to battery drain in sleep mode, or if left in the dock, still wearing out the battery although maybe less (but then again maybe not, we will see in a year or two when Switch batteries really start wearing out what the statistics are like on that) than if it was left in sleep mode, as sleep mode drains the battery quite quickly.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Torsten_0000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I spare the USB-C connection at the same time.
I don't really want to do this to myself.

It would be nice if someone with firmware above 8.1 would try this out. I ask for 15 seconds of your time.

mixelpixx

hardware monkey
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Battery s, per the manufacturer are to be changed every 3 years.. thats the life cycle for most devices. Even a battery on standby for 3yrs. Not a defect, but just the average life.

Torsten_0000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
OK. I tried it now.
first made a RAW backup.
I just updated to 9.0.

The problem is still there.

What I noticed is that the wifi login is much more stable.
Unfortunately, my games now need all updates.
That's why I played back the backup again.

thank you to everyone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.