Bruteforce aes file

Viri93

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I forgot the password of my backup folder and I want to brute force it. I only remember the first 8 characters. Is there any software for Windows I can use?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
How many characters is the whole password?

No. Bruteforicing would take years, especially since you have more than eight characters.
Not necessarily true if he remembers the first 8 characters, that would remove the need to guess those characters at all.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
But he didn't mention how many characters are actually in it.
Which is why I'm asking for a clarification :P

Him stating that he only remembers the 8 first characters could mean that the password is anywhere from 9 up to whatever limit is imposed by the encryption algorithm.

Reactions: dimmidice

Viri93

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
How many characters is the whole password?

Not necessarily true if he remembers the first 8 characters, that would remove the need to guess those characters at all.
I don't really remember... less than 16 for sure.

GalladeGuy

Cool and Epic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, lets assume the worst case scenario, with it being a 16 character long password. You don't have to worry about the first 8 digits, so we can cut it in half. That would leave us with 6704780954517120 different possible combinations, and that's just assuming only ASCII is allowed. If the encryption algorithm allows UTF-8, you'd be here for the rest of your life, although, I doubt you would have used any of those characters even if it did allow it. If we were able to do 1000 calculations per second, assuming my math is correct, it would take around 101 years and 99 days if it was Mac OSX 10.7 salted SHA-51 encrypted. You're lucky you have the first 8 digits. Otherwise, it would take 672 quadrillion years.

Last edited by GalladeGuy,

Viri93

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, lets assume the worst case scenario, with it being a 16 character long password. You don't have to worry about the first 8 digits, so we can cut it in half. That would leave us with 1.8446744e+19 (256 ^ 8) different possible combinations, and that's just assuming only ASCII is allowed. If the encryption algorithm allows UTF-8, you'd be here for the rest of your life, although, I doubt you would have used any of those characters even if it did allow it.
Yeah no, I have only used letters and numbers for sure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: hot take: freddy fazbear's pizzeria simulator is peak fnaf