broken roms on websites.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
when i download old roms, (specially packs with them)
sometimes the zip files contain a lot of tagged roms [b2] [b3] etc which means they are broken dumps..

so, i wanted to ask, why are theese broken dumps not deleted? whats the purpose of websites wasting bandwith\resources to distribute rom packs full of broken dumps..
a lot of times i found myself confused on which one to load.. since the verified one is in the middle of all the others

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
[b#] means bad dump, not broken. Your question still remains.

Some of them have historic value, like they point out faults in copiers, or were the only versions available at some point. Before the goodset naming system came along you would have to figure out why your dump wasn't working on a specific emulator/copier setup and you'd have to hunt down the Paradox dump instead of the Eurasia one for example.

With the advent of goodsets and nointro movements there really isn't a need for them! There should be an entirely separate rom set for scene dumps, and they should be in the original LZ archive formats or whatever.

Good news is thanks to the 7zip archive format, they don't waste particularly more space or bandwidth. If a .7z contains two files with only a few bytes difference between the two, the archive itself will be the compressed size of one plus a few bytes.

Reactions: Margen67 and migles

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
A very specific example is a Sonic 2 beta which contained graphics from Chiki Chiki Boys where there would otherwise be blank data written to the eeprom. Similarly there is an overdump ( [o] rather than [b#] ) version of Sonic Crackers from an old development eeprom. The extra space in the ROM contains graphics and data for an unreleased Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game.

Reactions: Margen67

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
A very specific example is a Sonic 2 beta which contained graphics from Chiki Chiki Boys where there would otherwise be blank data written to the eeprom. Similarly there is an overdump ( [o] rather than [b#] ) version of Sonic Crackers from an old development eeprom. The extra space in the ROM contains graphics and data for an unreleased Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game.

that seems super cool :D

thanks for the explanation.. this clears it up, i didnt realized that 7zip was great for duplicated data..

btw, is nointro a group or something? thought nointro would be, games without the intro movies

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Back when the scene was cool release groups used to embed their own intros into games to show everyone what they're made of, they often contained trainers and other cool stuff. Nointro just means that the dump is stripped of that extra content.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back when the scene was cool release groups used to embed their own intros into games to show everyone what they're made of, they often contained trainers and other cool stuff. Nointro just means that the dump is stripped of that extra content.
It's cool for translations and other hacks, but regular dumps? Unnecessary D:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's cool for translations and other hacks, but regular dumps? Unnecessary D:
Disagreed, although it should be optional or a separate file for the sake of clean ROM preservation. Removing an Intro and repacking is disrespectful to the original dumper, it's equivalent to removing a watermark. Anywho...

http://www.no-intro.org/story.htm

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
The scene used to have a lot of personality. Groups were actively and publicly competing with eachother. I've seen an NFO from the bbs days outlining points that a group gets for getting a dump normally, early, beta/prototype, trained, etc. The intros also showed off a groups technical abilities on the system. It's not all good stuff though. Some intros like MODE7's GBA ones are unskippable and appeared in the news when some kid's pirate copy of Yoshi's Island dropped an F-bomb.

I understand the importance of clean dumps and like no-intro's intentions. One result though is that ROMs with trainers and intros became increasingly hard to find.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The scene used to have a lot of personality. Groups were actively and publicly competing with eachother. I've seen an NFO from the bbs days outlining points that a group gets for getting a dump normally, early, beta/prototype, trained, etc. The intros also showed off a groups technical abilities on the system. It's not all good stuff though. Some intros like MODE7's GBA ones are unskippable and appeared in the news when some kid's pirate copy of Yoshi's Island dropped an F-bomb.

I understand the importance of clean dumps and like no-intro's intentions. One result though is that ROMs with trainers and intros became increasingly hard to find.

Do you have the news source as I'd love to see it.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Do you have the news source as I'd love to see it.

Google search turned up a different game, but still MODE7 intro. Whoops.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article100660.ece
A GIRL of seven found the words "F*** off and die" on her Disney computer game.

Beki Stewart pointed out the "naughty word" to dad Mark on the opening credits of Monsters, Inc - based on the hit kids' film.

Mark, 32, had splashed out £200 on the game and two GameBoy machines to play it on for Beki and her brother Jayms, four.

The Disney/Pixar game is aimed at children aged three and over.

Mark said: "I am disgusted. This was their big Christmas present. Beki was playing and said, 'Daddy, there is a swear word.' I said there couldn't be because it was a Monsters, Inc game.

"But she said, 'Daddy, it is the F-word'. She was upset because she did not expect to see it.

"This game is for kids. If it was for adults you might expect such language. But I don't say this word in front of my daughter - and I don't expect Disney games to contain it either."

The phrase was included in the introductory text that runs as the computer game boots up.

Civil servant Mark, of North Shields, North Tyneside, added: "Surely Disney test their games or see what goes out in their name."

Disney was unavailable for comment last night.

Reactions: Foxi4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on