Broken DSL

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Speculant, Jun 18, 2010.

Jun 18, 2010

Broken DSL by Speculant at 9:51 PM (1,321 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. Speculant
    OP

Member Speculant GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm pretty disappointed in this, I got my replacement case, replacement screen and R4 today. I replaced my case (which in itself is a very frustrating experience), replaced the bottom screen, and now my DSL won't turn on. The orange power light turns on for a second, and then turns off again when I plug in the charger, and the battery doesn't make a difference at all. I made sure that all the cables were connected properly, and that nothing is obstructed, but still it won't work.

What do I do?

And BTW, the case feels really cheap. Like REALLY cheap. The top bows outward a bit, and the hinge squeaks when I flip the cover up and down. I'm thinking about switching back to the fugly lime green original case just because it feels better.

2. Tokiopop

Member Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

United Kingdom
    You'll notice on the ribbon cables just before the end they jut out a little bit. The cables may seem like they're in, but the bit that sticks out of the sides a little needs to be right up to the connecter on the board.

When I first replaced my top screen and touch module on the bottom screen, I had this problem. I opened my DS up again, unclipped the conectors and used the stylus on those bits that stick out to push the cable in that little bit futher.

Just quickly go over everything else like the Wifi/BIOS chip, and when you turned it on, did either of the screen flash?

Also, about the quality of the case, which did you order? I got one of those translucent ones and it's nearly as good as the orginal casing, only issue is that when I squeeze it it creaks a little, but apart from that, it feels really nice.

Hahah, you joined a year and one day after me.

3. Mantis41

Member Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It is also very easy to tear the top screen cable, this would then require a replacement upper screen. If anything shorts out like the ribbon cable you will probably also need to replace the fuses.

I have one at the moment that I screwed on the second case replacment. I caught the top screen cable and tore through two outer tracks and have also blown one or both fuses (probably when the cable shorted). It is still in pieces. I will probably get round to fixing it one day. Pissed me off as I have had it apart for case replacment and again for the touch screen without any problems in the past.

4. Speculant
    OP

United States
    I got the triforce case off of Shoptemp.

Either the fuses are blown, or the battery is dead, because when I received the new bottom screen in the mail I noticed it was bent a bit and I was like "oh shit they sent me a bad screen" so I replaced it and turned the DS on (everything else was connected still) and the power light flashed and that was it. I looked at the old screen and then looked at the new screen and was like "oh shit they sent me a screen with no protective backing on it" and I realized that metal had been touching metal when I put the new screen in and turned the DS on. At this point I was like "well fuck it, I'm going to continue switching cases anyways and see how it turns out". Before I completely closed up the DS, I put protective backing on the new screen.

Hopefully that somehow killed the battery instead of totally frying my mobo, cause if the fuses are blown, I'm seriously just going to sell this DS for parts and get a used one that works, because the hassle of buying and replacing a mobo is NOT worth it.

5. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    Curse in the thread if you must,
    Keep it out of the title, please.

6. SignZ

Member SignZ Timelord

Germany
    Hah, and I was wondering what you got to do with the case.

7. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    I'll change it to pretty much whatever the thread creator wants,
    (so long as it's not "fuck")

8. Speculant
    OP

United States
    Can you change it from "Well, [Vulpes]" to "Broken DSL"

9. Tokiopop

United Kingdom
    Yeah, not insulating the back of the bottom screen will almost certainly blow a fuse. Totally forgot about that. Did you use a guide? Most of the good ones will tell you to tape over the back of it.

I've no iea which fuse it would have blown though, or where you can get replacements. I have only ever seen DS fuses on eBay, but I really couldn't tell you which to buy...

10. Speculant
    OP

United States
    Not sure that I would be comfortable soldering replacement fuses on the mobo myself...I think I'll just part out the DS for some spare cash.

11. Mantis41

Member Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    You could always short the fuses out just solder accross the top.

12. Speculant
    OP

United States
    Would that just bypass the fuses?

Would that work? I could probably do that.

13. Tokiopop

United Kingdom
    Yeah, but then no fuses [​IMG]

14. Speculant
    OP

United States
    So what. Under normal operation the fuses don't matter.

15. Speculant
    OP

United States
    Well...uhm...that didn't work as planned. Now it won't fire up at all. No lights, nothing.

Oh well, it was a positive learning experience.