Broken Disc drive, replacement doesn't work either

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Willemoke, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Willemoke
    OP

Willemoke GBAtemp Regular

Oct 30, 2007
    Netherlands
    So I bought a wii with a broken disc drive online. The guy said the the motor within the disc drive died, but that the wii itself still functioned as it should.

Well, it didn't. The wii boots up fine, but when I connected a replacement drive, the drive still wouldn't power on. I tried the replacement drive in one of my working wii's and the problem doesn't seem to be the drive.

Does anyone know how I'll be able to get ( at least ) the drive board to work with the wii, so I can use the USB loader on this wii?

Thanks in advance.

2. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    You can use USB Loader on your Wii by soft modding it first, check out Mauifrog's guide on how to do it, also you need a SD Card and an USB flash drive or a hard disk for Wii/GC Backups.

3. Willemoke
    OP

Oct 30, 2007
    Netherlands
    I know, I already softmodded it, but I can't boot games, because the dvd-drive board has to be connected for that.

4. Yepi69

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Uhm... what do you mean? You can make games work off USB with or without the DVD board, unless the Wii doesn't boot.

5. Willemoke
    OP

Oct 30, 2007
    Netherlands

When I boot a game through usbloader GX, it will give me an error when I try to boot a game without the dvd board connected.

6. Yepi69

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Maybe because you're trying to boot a game OFF the disc drive INSTEAD of the USB, you need to have games on a USB Pen drive in order to boot games off the USB, booting games off a broken disc drive its like turning your laptop under water.

7. Willemoke
    OP

Oct 30, 2007
    Netherlands

I'm booting the games from a 2TB External Hard drive, which is working fine with a wii that does have the dvd-drive connected. How is it even possible to boot a game from the disc, when you don't have a drive connected....