Homebrew Broken 2DS screen

ArchieB

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So I bought myself a 2ds and it arrived yesterday and while I was doing some chores today I managed to knock it off the table face down, breaking both the inner parts of the screens. Well I was fairly new to this community since I never got myself anything from nintendo other then the switch and the nintendo ds lite. Now why is this related to Homebrew/CFW? Now since I was used to r4 cards and what not on my nintendo ds lite back in the day, so I thought why not give homebrew a try on the 2ds. I enjoyed it for making back ups of my savedata and cheats in offline games etc.

The 2DS came with a warranty and I'm worried that when I send it for repairs they might be able to see that it had "illegal" software installed (which voids the warranty obviously) on said device and I'll still have to pay for the reparation costs.

My question is if they can tell I installed homebrew without my SD card in the slot?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I bought myself a 2ds and it arrived yesterday and while I was doing some chores today I managed to knock it off the table face down, breaking both the inner parts of the screens. Well I was fairly new to this community since I never got myself anything from nintendo other then the switch and the nintendo ds lite. Now why is this related to Homebrew/CFW? Now since I was used to r4 cards and what not on my nintendo ds lite back in the day, so I thought why not give homebrew a try on the 2ds. I enjoyed it for making back ups of my savedata and cheats in offline games etc.

The 2DS came with a warranty and I'm worried that when I send it for repairs they might be able to see that it had "illegal" software installed (which voids the warranty obviously) on said device and I'll still have to pay for the reparation costs.

My question is if they can tell I installed homebrew without my SD card in the slot?
CFW is more than just something on a sd card. Yes its going to be obvious if the console dont start if the boot.firm was never placed in ctrnand. Yes there are other files that can be found if one looks for them.

ArchieB

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
CFW is more than just something on a sd card. Yes its going to be obvious if the console dont start if the boot.firm was never placed in ctrnand. Yes there are other files that can be found if one looks for them.
Ah okay thanks, I'll still give it a try and see if they notice it or not.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Sorry to hear that. Broken LCD happens fast. One careless moment and… bang.

Unless you have some kind of insurance that will cover defects that are your own fault – like dropping a device on the floor – you normally can't make any warranty claims anyway. With or without homebrew and custom firmware.

Third party repair shops probably don't care about software modifications.

Is your device an old 2DS or a new 2DS XL? The O2DS can be repaired quite easily and the LCD assembly is not that expensive.

ArchieB

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry to hear that. Broken LCD happens fast. One careless moment and… bang.

Unless you have some kind of insurance that will cover defects that are your own fault – like dropping a device on the floor – you normally can't make any warranty claims anyway. With or without homebrew and custom firmware.

Third party repair shops probably don't care about software modifications.

Is your device an old 2DS or a new 2DS XL? The O2DS can be repaired quite easily and the LCD assembly is not that expensive.
Yeah it's an old/regular 2ds and I've checked the prices for screens but I'm always skeptical about repairing since I'm not that advanced with hardware replacements etc.

Last edited by ArchieB,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah it's an old/regular 2ds and I've checked the prices for screens but I'm always skeptical about repairing since I'm not that advanced with hardware replacements etc.
Since the 2DS is a single piece without a hinge, and there is only a single screen, it should be easier to repair than the other models. Just be careful with the ribbon cables/connectors, and don't use force when screwing the screws back in, plastic strips easily, and the screws themselves can also strip. And make sure you're using the right size screwdriver which grips properly without camming out, or the screws strip easily.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nintendo+2DS+Screen+Replacement/35845

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

ArchieB

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Since the 2DS is a single piece without a hinge, and there is only a single screen, it should be easier to repair than the other models. Just be careful with the ribbon cables/connectors, and don't use force when screwing the screws back in, plastic strips easily, and the screws themselves can also strip. And make sure you're using the right size screwdriver which grips properly without camming out, or the screws strip easily.
I'll definitely try in this case, thanks for all your help guys ^-^

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'll definitely try in this case, thanks for all your help guys ^-^
If I'm not mistaken, I should use a PH000 screwdriver right?

Last edited by ArchieB,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.