Hacking Bringing a brick back from the dead, need help

roflskippy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I need help. I got a PSP-2001 from a friend, and he said i could have it if i was able to get it working. Cool, easy, no problem.... But now I am stuck. The main issue with it is that when you turn it on, it shows the date, time, and battery life left, freezes, then proceeds to shut off. From what I read that means a bad firmware install/update. So i decided that i would just update it, roadblock 1 appeared, no recovery mode. This puppy has not had any Custom Firmware installed, and thus i was unable to get into a recovery mode. Well i figured i could get around that with a pandora battery. So i bought one from here (http://www.pandorasales.com/) dunno if it is a good site or not, but i got my battery today, used the pandora battery guide to make an Magic Memory Card, and when i hold the trigger i get a black screen.... I am so lost, i did everything it stated, i went out and found the 5.00 firmware, and now i am at the point where i would be happy updating it to 6.60. My only thoughts are that it could be my memory stick, but it is a sandisk 4gb magic gate stick, so it should work right? Anyway, please help me, i really want to get this psp back up and running, custom firmware or not.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're running DC8 on your memory stick, right? Also, are you sure you have a hackable PSP? The non-fully hackable 2000s are rare but do exist. It needs to be fully hackable for the pandora battery to work. Just in case your memory card isn't setup right, I'll link you PSPgrader with 5.00. Make sure you have it format your card.

http://ttm.sytes.net/PSPGrader.7z

Sorry about the upload speeds. I don't use this server for high bandwidth but low latency for other things.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As long as your Data Code is 8B or lower, your PSP is fully salvagable and can be unbricked using Pandora. You can check the Data Code by removing the battery, it should be printed somewhere near the serial code - the location varies depending on the revision. 8C has a 50% chance of having a compatible motherboard, later revisions will not be compatible with Pandora at all. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, PSP-2000 is easily one of the best of all PSP revisions.

roflskippy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I am one of the lucky few who have a non compatible board. Damn, I was really hoping to get this thing running. Is there any other options i might have at this time? Also mad props to you TecXero, It took me 3 hours to find that firmware and you just link it XD

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I am one of the lucky few who have a non compatible board. Damn, I was really hoping to get this thing running. Is there any other options i might have at this time? Also mad props to you TecXero, It took me 3 hours to find that firmware and you just link it XD
I backup everything that I use. I even have stuff on my 2TB backup drive from the OE custom firmware days. Sometimes it pays off to backup like a madman.
You could part it out if you're sure it's one of the non-fully hackable motherboards. Heck, if you can find a junked 2000 on ebay or something, you could swap out the boards and have a good PSP. I've seen a lot of PSPs on there that are fine, they just have broken screens as a drawback.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6rI8eXgDxd/?igsh=MWYybHY2YXoyM3I2cQ==