Hacking Bricked wii With theme.

Sebas333

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok heres the thing. I went to my friends house, opened homebrew, installed a theme. I didnt realize the themes were for system menus 4.0+ because I did it on my wii. So when I installed the theme, Went to systemmenu in preloader, It showed weird japanese stuff and the wii freezes on press A. Cant do anything.
Didnt install bootmii cause I didnt want him to have to press reset all the time to goto systemmenu. So theres no nand backup. I can install bootmii though.
I have preloader and homebrew working fine.

So question is;
1. Can I use a nand backup from my wii and put it on to his with bootmii to fix it?
2. Or is there a way to restore original theme.

His wii is 3.2 or 3.4.... Hes never updated.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1: NO

2: When in preloader try booting the HBC and then reinstall the original wii theme.Don't ask me where to get it just do a search i know its on this board somewhere because ive gotten it off of here in the past.

Another option could be to just update the wii itself.Doing this will overwrite the bad theme causing the brick.You will have to do this by using NUSD to download the appropriate ios files and system menu files and then use wad manager to install them.Once again use the search feature for this to find what you need to download.Also be aware doing this will erase preloader as well so if you fuck it up and install them wrong then preloader will not be there to save you.

Also installing bootmii doesn't mean you will have to press reset everytime you start your wii to get to the sytem menu.You can install bootmii and then make a backup of the nand and when your done either move the bootmii folder and nand.bin and keys.bin to your computer for safe keeping to just rename the bootmii folder to something else like bootmii1.This will prevent bootmii from loading on every start up.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Install bootmii to boot2 ASAP. It can autoboot so having to press reset is a retarded reason not to have it.

No you can't use your backup on his Wii. Unless you convert it using the keys of his wii and betwiin, but that in itself has it's own risks.

Once you have bootmii installed to boot2, you will at least have a failsafe if you do something to overwrite preloader and it doesn't work still. Then you could just reinstall the proper system menu wad (provided you know what system menu he was on before and not just "3.2 or 3.4") and it should get rid of preloader and have a normal system menu again. To be sure, you can install the system menu IOS that whichever system menu you're installing runs off of first (make sure it's not a stubbed system menu IOS) and then install the system menu itself. 3.2 runs off IOS30, 3.4 off IOS50, 4.0/4.1 off IOS60, and 4.2 off IOS70. IOS30, 50, and 60 all have stubbed versions so do NOT install the latest versions of those at all.

Just in case, when you install bootmii to boot2, make a NAND backup of the broken state, so you can at least revert back to that if you somehow manage to screw it up even further.

Sebas333

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mmk. Thanks.
Instead of an update could I just download the proper system menu as a wad and install that? Or would I have to download appropriate ios's.

Im probably just gonna find the proper .app theme file.

Thanks again.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You could find the current system menu wad for his current firmware and install that without having to install any ios files.

If you update to 4.0 or 4.2 you will need to install the ios needed by that system menu before installing the system menu wad for that firmware.

0000008a.app = 4.2E
00000087.app = 4.2U
And the rest:
00000040.app = 3.2 NTSC
00000042.app = 3.2 NTSC-U
00000045.app = 3.2 PAL
00000070.app = 4.0 NTSC-J
00000072.app = 4.0 NTSC-U
00000075.app = 4.0 PAL
0000007b.app = 4.1 NTSC-U
0000007e.app = 4.1 PAL

This info came from Post #23 of the following topic

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=183...amp;hl=dark+mii

Hope it helps.

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sebas333 said:
Mmk. Thanks.
Instead of an update could I just download the proper system menu as a wad and install that? Or would I have to download appropriate ios's.

Im probably just gonna find the proper .app theme file.

Thanks again.
just use NUSD pack the wad of the system menu you are in. the .app for the original theme could also be found on the system menu files that you had downloaded using the NUSD.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: