Bricked Wii U with ftpu

Der_Blockbuster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
981.gif
I respect your effort, but video guides are a bad practice. Keep in mind they get outdated too fast, then people after years people find these videos, follow them, and brick. So I agree, never follow a video guide. People following video guides are probably the most vulnerable to mistakes, like this example. But everyone to his own.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh, this thread frustrates me as the guy that laid out how to change themes to begin with, and even initially received a similar soft brick myself, but was able to fix it thanks to having a coldboot CFW that could bring me to the homebrew menu and then FTP without touching the point where the Wii U would freeze at the logo. But I also explained exactly how to fix that issue in that very first post that explained how to do all this theme stuff to begin with, that explained the process I went through. All you had to do was try again in FTP until it properly copied over, it could take many tries, but was easy enough to check by simply exiting and re-entering the folder you're copying to in FTP until you see the file size in the Wii U is the same as the copy on your computer you're trying to copy over.

THIS scenario, is a shining example of why these kinds of video guides are bad, I did not commission or recommend that video, and the person that put it together did not go into detail in how to fix the soft brick that can occur. So you, the user, freak out and try to solve it without the guidance I had provided from the start and only made it worse. Having said that, unless you bricked your Wii U too far with your attempts to save it on your own, you should still be able to save it.

Reactions: Der_Blockbuster

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't think an explanation is needed, @MikaDubbz couldn't have said it better.
If you want the reason, he made the video. It's a good production and nice quality and no offense, I think we can wrap it up.
Yeah 1 good tutorial means nothing when there's countless of crappy tutorials (Some of them can be even scams) out there.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah 1 good tutorial means nothing when there's countless of crappy tutorials (Some of them can be even scams) out there.
Also don't forget: One good video will be watched and watched and watched... So rank up, rank up, rank up in search results... Untill one day (for example: Aroma release) when it will be horribly outdated but still beeing watched thanks to beeing nr. one in search engine results... What a vicious circle, isn't it?

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Also don't forget: One good video will be watched and watched and watched... So rank up, rank up, rank up in search results... Untill one day (for example: Aroma release) when it will be horribly outdated but still beeing watched thanks to beeing nr. one in search engine results... What a vicious circle, isn't it?
It might be the reason why some people seems to be still using Loadiine for stuff other than Injects, i bet if i type something like "How to play Wii U games for free" alot of results might be from Loadiine's early days since it was the only method avaliable before the Brazilian method (I love that name so much) was even discovered.

ReveriePass

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I make videos, I have the people in mind who don't have the ability or patience to research, find, and follow text tutorials. I made a new version of this video, which WILL be deleted once Aroma comes out and makes this obsolete. I, unfortunately, will never agree with the majority of people when it comes to tutorial videos and will continue making them, unless there's a great and easy-to-find/follow web guide (like wii.guide, rentry guide, etc).

Deleted member 585564

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the irony is that people saying "video guides bad" dont actually take the time to think and reason within themselves about why video guides are bad... they just see others say "video guides bad" therefore they also say "video guides bad" because that's what everyone says.

written guides can be just as horribly outdated, you know. and they are just as easy to find through clueless internet searches.

you could literally make a really good video guide following the holy grail of written guides step by step, and going over every possible point of troubleshooting, while taking the time to delete the video and make a new one whenever new developments came out, and you'd still get people saying it's bad just because it's a video guide... despite showing the exact same information as their beloved written guides

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@semaphore The people who say video guides are bad are the developers of the tools (who get 80% of bug reports and stuff like that thanks to outdated video guides) and old guys with a ton of experience. Video guides = the more clicks (so the older the video) the higher the search results. Now a few of you might delete videos but most of the time these videos stay online, generating more and more clicks and as such get more and more watched... We can even prove our words, like this:
1646005708223.png

Now the same an YouTube:
1646005796803.png

So the text result is up to date while the video guide is outdated...

Deleted member 585564

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and the first result for "how to hack a wii u" for me is an outdated written guide from 2019.

you shouldnt be surprised that google of all things is giving a site you visit all the time #1 spot on the results...

none of this disproves the idea that "video guides can be good" either. there are poor and outdated video guides like there are poor and outdated written guides. it shouldn't be frowned upon for someone to commit to making and keeping a video guide up to date that follows recent developments every time.

"but maybe they'll eventually stop updating it..." cool, that applies to written guides too.

do you understand *why* people watch video guides in the first place? people who aren't tech-savvy get completely lost in those written guides... you could literally just have official video guides up on the wiiu.hacks.guide alongside the written guide that shows the exact same steps but in video form, for people who struggle with written guide and understand better when they can see it, and it could just be kept up-to-date alongside any text-based updates... but no, "video guides bad"

dont even have any pictures on the guide site either... even outdated written guides use pictures to make it easier for less savvy people to understand. and then you wonder why people dont use the site and turn to video guides.

could easily make it the ultimate resource that works for everyone regardless of how tech-savvy or not they are, and regardless of which format works best to them when it comes to learning, but no, visual support bad, gotta keep that up.

search "how to hack a wii u" on google and find wiiu.hacks.guide... non-savvy user cant understand it and it flies way over their heads. so they go look for visual guides instead. makes you wonder? you're shooting yourself in the foot with that hivemind mentality.

Last edited by Deleted member 585564,

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you shouldnt be surprised that google of all things is giving a site you visit all the time #1 spot on the results...
I deleted all cookies, cache & co from that browser + switched IP before doing that searches.
there are poor and outdated video guides like there are poor and outdated written guides.
You're able to upate a text guide (like wiiu.hacks.guide is doing all the time) but you can't really change a video uploaded to youtube, can you?
you could literally just have official video guides up on the wiiu.hacks.guide alongside the written guide that shows the exact same steps but in video form
Hosting videos means wasting more space and traffic. You do realise that there are zero adds on the official guide? Hosting on third party servers means loosing control over the content, so no way to delete or update outdated content safely.
dont even have any pictures on the guide site either
To not have them cached on search engines. Do you realise that pictures are cached way longer than texts? Also what I said above.
non-savvy user cant understand it
It's written as simple as possible with every step explained like you where a child. Also everyone is free to contribute to these text guides ( https://github.com/hacks-guide/Guide-WiiU ), so why not make it more simple to understand instead of complaining?
you're shooting yourself in the foot
I'm in no way associated with wiiu.hacks.guide. It was just the first google result at my example.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just to get everyone up to speed. I did do team viewer with the op, and I decrypted his mlc. however, even then, the system refused to boot after injecting those two menu files. :( I have no idea what happened. it's like the files were truncated somehow yet seemed to show comparable byte sizes.

DuduMil

Der Hallomann
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi, your wii u have tiramissu, right? Can you access the homebrew launcher? If yes, do this: install rosalina theme installer, (if you want to download it, just google it and eventually you will find it), then, download any custom theme, and, maybe it will work.

My Wii U also had this type of brick, I did this, and it unbricked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill