Hacking bricked wii help

notoriousnp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A friend gave me his softmoded bricked wii to look at. I know a little about the process and have a understanding on how it works. from priiloader he/i cannot boot into bootmii, the homebrew channel or the system menu. im not sure if bootmii was installed on boot2 or not

my friend isnt too sure on how it was bricked, but i know in his priiloader updates are disabled and he has a back up of his key and nand. he said he changed his dns setting so he could use american netflix. started watching a movie on netflix then fell asleep. when he awoke the wii was frozen so he held down the power button and power cycled the wii. his wii booted up like normal, proceed to boot up the netflix app again started to rewatch the movie and his wii froze again. rebooted his wii again and now it freezes after the health and safety screen.

i am not sure how to proceed now, from what i have read to restore a bricked wii i need to be able to load into bootmii.

any help is much appreciated.

natkoden

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
did you prepared an sd with the required files for bootmii?

also, you can easily know if the wii has bootmii by looking at the drive light when you turn it on. If it flashes, you have bootmii installed.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you can get to boot Priiloader, you could boot Homebrew files.
You could try reinstalling everything ( all official ios and Cios , use modmii by xflak to get the files. ) via a wadmanager.
Do not install a system menu yet as this will dlete the Priiloader installation. For now Priiloader is your only chance to unbrick.
In theory this would fix your Wii.
This however depends on what version of priiloader is installed.

notoriousnp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you can get to boot Priiloader, you could boot Homebrew files.
You could try reinstalling everything ( all official ios and Cios , use modmii by xflak to get the files. ) via a wadmanager.
Do not install a system menu yet as this will dlete the Priiloader installation. For now Priiloader is your only chance to unbrick.
In theory this would fix your Wii.
This however depends on what version of priiloader is installed.

thanks for the quick response, the priiloader is v.08 (beta v3) his ios v70 system menu v481

notoriousnp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
does it freeze after pressing A?
try holding + - and then pres A while holding + -

sorry for my delay in writing back. i was out of town for the weekend. i tried holding + - and then pres A while holding + - and it still freezes. i also tried reinstalling the .wad files used when i originally softmoded his wii, no change. when i try to load bootmii off the sd card the screen flickers and the text unreadable then just goes black. when i try to boot into hbc through priiloader the screen goes black and the cd slot starts flashing.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Download modmii, use modmii to softmod the wii again. Tell modmii your wii is 4.1 and you wish to update to 4.3. Follow modmii's instructions to completion from start to finish. You can start to process from HBC or priiloader by loading the boot.elf from sd:\apps\hackmii\boot.elf

Let me know if that helps, or not. If that fails the next steps is a system menu format, via the system settings if you can get there or via the pink fish disc. Hopefully the modmii softmod fixes the issues. Let me know.

notoriousnp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Download modmii, use modmii to softmod the wii again. Tell modmii your wii is 4.1 and you wish to update to 4.3. Follow modmii's instructions to completion from start to finish. You can start to process from HBC or priiloader by loading the boot.elf from sd:\apps\hackmii\boot.elf

Let me know if that helps, or not. If that fails the next steps is a system menu format, via the system settings if you can get there or via the pink fish disc. Hopefully the modmii softmod fixes the issues. Let me know.

okay so after a lot of trial and error reinstalling wad...etc no luck. so i started playing around with priiloader setting and somehow i got bootmii to load. im not sure if it was dumb luck or it was something i did. so my friend had a nand backup and key so i copied the files back on the sd card and did a nand restore through bootmii. everything seemed to go okay but when i rebooted my wii same problem (freezing after health screen) both with pressing "a" and i also tried + -. now i dont have priiloader anymore or i cant load into it by pressing reset. im guessing that it got erased when i did the nand restore. lucky for me i can still boot into bootmii, thank god it was installed on boot2.

so from reading stuff on the forums, i needed to "fix" the nand and key before restoring using bootmii-keyfix. so i tried this, copied the "fixed" nand files back over to the sd card and restored the nand once again. everything seemed to go smoothly once again. i restarted the wii and same problem frozen after health and safety screen.

now im stuck on what to do. any more help would be greatly appreciated.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Load bootmii, make a new nand backup. Then do this-
http://gbatemp.net/threads/ohneswanzenegger-wii-entry-pc-software.279750/
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9778sgmybexww1o/giantpune's_Nand_Tools.zip

Make new nand backup
format nand backup with ohneswanzenegger
install system menu 4.3 with ohneswanzenegger
enter proper serial number into setting.txt when asked
check nand.bin for errors with nandbincheck
Code:
nandbincheck nand.bin -all -v
copy new nand.bin back to sd card
restore the new nand.bin
that should give a fresh clean 4.3 install, boot2 bootmii remains
If that fails, it should not be software related.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @genistopitauniverfrocrami, What drugs is this dude on?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    CRAZY HAMBURGER
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @NinStar both nes remix 1 and 2 had some stinkers in there
    +1
    but at least 2 doesn't have sports games
    loved nes remix, but hated having to play Baseball, Tennis and Golf in order to progress
    +1
    or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.
    Yesterday I learned my BD Burner drive can burn CD's at 56X lol
  • cearp @ cearp:
    What stuff were you burning?
    I used to burn tons of dvds (data files) many years ago, but haven't burnt a disk in ages.
    My car actually reads MP3 CD's lol
    So mix CDs for myselt :)
    Pantera, Metallica, Hollywood Undead, Five Finger Death Punch, some others lol
    I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol
    if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i tell ya what, i could go for a fuckin gyro right about now
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I hope your brother is doing ok Mr BakerMan
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool
    +1
    BakerMan yeah me too.... maybe that's gonna be dinner for me there is this place near me I have been dying to try and they have them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I miss usb mp3 players they were shit but at the time a go to
    @The Real Jdbye, I thought about that and I have blank DVD's and Blurays but honestly after like 90 songs I just listen to it a couple of hundred times toss it out and burn something else or have like 2-3 CD's. Florida here the heat in the car tends to ruin the CD's after like a few months even commercial pressed ones don't last too long.
    my music collection is just too big, i require variety
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: my music collection is just too big, i require variety