bricked trying to update A9LH

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by sakohunter, Feb 4, 2017.

1. sakohunter
    OP

sakohunter Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2017
    Canada
    hello, new here

i have a problem, i have installed A9LH on my two son's 3ds xl, one has a old 3ds xl and one has a new 3ds xl. both have been running and using their systems fine for months.

today i just noticed that there was a new guide to update the A9LH (https://3ds.guide/updating-a9lh) . so i decided to update both my son's 3ds.

well first one updated fine, it was the old 3ds xl.

the second one, the new 3ds xl, i seem to have bricked. all i get is two black screens. blue power light goes on. if i plug it to power then i get the orange light as well. but thats about it. other than that it seems unresponsive to anything. i do have all the emuNAND, NAND, sysNAND, and sysNAND-A9LHAX .bin files saved.

in looking back at how i got it bricked. i may have confused the arm9loaderhax file from SafeA9LHInstaller and Luma3DSv6.6 and used them in the wrong place not realizing. because i was able to update but after the update all i got was black screen.

i tried to hardmod to unable to because the computer doesnt reconize the 3ds.

are there any solutions? or do i have a perma brick? i have the nand back ups if i am able to write them back. but without the computer reconizing the 3ds my knowlege of fixing is limited.

please direct me to a solution. thank you

2. NyanCatAttack

NyanCatAttack Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2017
    United States
    I dont know but try a hard mod.

3. sakohunter
    OP

sakohunter Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2017
    Canada
    i have, but computer doesnt reconize the 3ds so cant write the files

4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Does it just lock on 2 black screens?

5. sakohunter
    OP

sakohunter Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2017
    Canada
    yes just two black screens, it doesnt boot. only see blue power light and orange charge light

6. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Yeah that's a brick. So aren't able to boot into recovery mode?

7. sakohunter
    OP

sakohunter Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2017
    Canada
    nope unreponsive, so i have a paper weight? with no solutions?

would i be able to buy a new mother board and use all the old components? or would i need to replace something else as well?

cheaper to buy a motherboard than to buy new 3ds lol

8. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    I mean, you can't even boot it with a hardmod? That's a pretty impressive brick right there. I could do that I guess. But that would require removing everything or starting from squire one on a new board.

9. x65943

x65943 Resident Greekaboo, Amateur Dog Father

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    Sounds like you screwed up the hard mod. Are you sure you soldered everything correctly?

10. sakohunter
    OP

sakohunter Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2017
    Canada
    i did double check all solder points, even took it apart and and resoldered again. i dont get a blue screen, its as if the device doesnt even power on besides the power light. would a hard mod be able to write if device has no power? if it is able to write regardless of condition. i can try resolder again.

i just thought no point if not reconized

11. x65943

x65943 Resident Greekaboo, Amateur Dog Father

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    Did you by any chance close the lid on the n3ds when it was on 2.1?

(Not that it's normal to ctr to 2.1 to update a9lh)

Last edited by x65943, Feb 4, 2017
  12. sakohunter
    OP

sakohunter Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2017
    Canada
    hmm no i have completed the A9LH install months ago, kids have been using it fine even through nintendo sys updates.

i bricked it by trying to update A9Lh lol

13. sakohunter
    OP

sakohunter Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2017
    Canada
    Thanks for the replies.

I guess there isn't another way to write to nand besides hardmod? But that requires my 3ds to boot to a blue screen and be responsive.

So this motherboard is toast. I've placed an order for a new motherboard on eBay. I'll start over once it arrives.

Thanks for the replies and help

14. N64

N64 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 16, 2014
    United States
    sakohunter likes this.
  15. Hunter-Yoshi

Hunter-Yoshi Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2016
    You can't boot hourglass, decrypt9...etc payloads?

16. sakohunter
    OP

sakohunter Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2017
    Canada
    Yes I have placed an order for the exact reader last night. I have read that the n3ds can be finicky with readers. But because I wasn't getting it recognized and mainly due to no blue screen or any responsiveness I lost hope. So this morning I ordered a new motherboard.

But if you are saying that blue screen only occurs if the computer detects he connection, I still have hope that the new reader would be all that was needed.

Thanks that little bit of information provides a lot of hope.

N64 and x65943 like this.
  17. Kevin843

Kevin843 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2017
    United States
    Try this i copy and paste from another thread and it worked for me, had same problem

its probably not bricked, its more like it that you a a version of luma that is too old for firmware 11.3.

Check if you can get into hourglass9 or luma settings with start+power and select+ power.

if that is the case, then download latest luma version from https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases and place the arm9loaderhax.bin from the zip in the root fo your sd