Hacking Question Bricked Switch, Suggestions?

nateflavor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe my Switch has been bricked since September of 2018. As much as I've been working to bring it back to life in the past year I didn't want to ask anyone for help but, here I am. Here's everything I remember about my Switch and I am just throwing this out there to see if any of you people have suggestions.

Switch was banned probably at the beginning of 2018.
Worked fine till around the release of the YouTube.nsp, connected to the internet, watched YouTube and switch shuts off.
Couldn't get switch to boot, stuck at Switch logo (not the Nintendo logo).
So, I learned how to use the manual downgrading program Choidujour, this fixed my Switch several times, and then It just stopped working, I'd go through the process of putting my Switch on FW 6.1.0 and it'd be fine in the past but, just hasn't worked since Sept of last year.
My Switch sometimes makes it to the Nintendo logo, sometimes to the Switch logo, and sometimes no logo at all.
I feel as though somewhere during this process I used ChoidujourNX to upgrade to 6.2.0, This may be the problem...
I still have all of my keys and important info stored on text documents.
I also believe that HacDiskMount isn't actually storing the biskeys either because they are: tested, saved, and still there until I reboot the switch in which case they are gone (maybe this is normal).

I work pretty much every day but, I'm off in the afternoons and will look over your suggestions in the mean-time.
I appreciate you taking the time to read this and potentially stopping by to help me.
Thank you.

PS: Don't feel obligated to help....just if you're bored or something.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's possible that the system just up and failed. that's what happened to me. it was a legit system though. I sent it to nintendo under warranty. they sent me a refurbished unit back, and they said that the system software had gotten corrupted somehow, so all saves were lost too.

edit: I forgot to mention, the system would turn off on the nintendo logo or it wouldn't even make it that far (no response).

Reactions: nateflavor

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I believe my Switch has been bricked since September of 2018. As much as I've been working to bring it back to life in the past year I didn't want to ask anyone for help but, here I am. Here's everything I remember about my Switch and I am just throwing this out there to see if any of you people have suggestions.

Switch was banned probably at the beginning of 2018.
Worked fine till around the release of the YouTube.nsp, connected to the internet, watched YouTube and switch shuts off.
Couldn't get switch to boot, stuck at Switch logo (not the Nintendo logo).
So, I learned how to use the manual downgrading program Choidujour, this fixed my Switch several times, and then It just stopped working, I'd go through the process of putting my Switch on FW 6.1.0 and it'd be fine in the past but, just hasn't worked since Sept of last year.
My Switch sometimes makes it to the Nintendo logo, sometimes to the Switch logo, and sometimes no logo at all.
I feel as though somewhere during this process I used ChoidujourNX to upgrade to 6.2.0, This may be the problem...
I still have all of my keys and important info stored on text documents.
I also believe that HacDiskMount isn't actually storing the biskeys either because they are: tested, saved, and still there until I reboot the switch in which case they are gone (maybe this is normal).

I work pretty much every day but, I'm off in the afternoons and will look over your suggestions in the mean-time.
I appreciate you taking the time to read this and potentially stopping by to help me.
Thank you.

PS: Don't feel obligated to help....just if you're bored or something.
It sounds like your NAND might be dying and corrupting itself. The NAND chip is on a separate board that simply slots in so it can be replaced without risking damaging the rest of the system.
But I don't think anyone sells replacement boards without chips in case you mess it up so it might be better buying a board with a chip already on it if you can find any, then you would just have to slot the daughterboard in and flash your NAND backup.

Reactions: nateflavor

nateflavor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's possible that the system just up and failed. that's what happened to me. it was a legit system though. I sent it to nintendo under warranty. they sent me a refurbished unit back, and they said that the system software had gotten corrupted somehow, so all saves were lost too.

edit: I forgot to mention, the system would turn off on the nintendo logo or it wouldn't even make it that far (no response).

It sounds like your NAND might be dying and corrupting itself. The NAND chip is on a separate board that simply slots in so it can be replaced without risking damaging the rest of the system.
But I don't think anyone sells replacement boards without chips in case you mess it up so it might be better buying a board with a chip already on it if you can find any, then you would just have to slot the daughterboard in and flash your NAND backup.

I appreciate both of your replies. As to the NAND failing I am at least know that I did not format it ever during choidujour so, that's good. I'll keep messing around and looking for replacement boards. Maybe even a switch that works but, just has a cracked screen. I care not. This is less about having a working Switch and more about fixing this one... for the sake of a hobby. Thank you both for your insight.

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Just go to Aliexpress.com and search for 'Switch Nand' and you'll get a ton of results for $10~$20.
Note that if you send back your Switch for repairs now, you'll most likely get a ptached unit back.

Kadji

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Since your Switch is not patched:

Can you boot into RCM?
If so, and if the problem is your NAND dying: Would a EmuMMC fix the boot problems?

Maybe that is a simpler solution than changing the NAND in your Switch.

nateflavor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since your Switch is not patched:

Can you boot into RCM?
If so, and if the problem is your NAND dying: Would a EmuMMC fix the boot problems?

Maybe that is a simpler solution than changing the NAND in your Switch.

I can boot into RCM. Even lakka works fine. I'll give your suggestion a shot. Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nearly 4 hours without power :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell Kanye I need power
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Better start running in your hamster wheel
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Meth addicts on a treadmill connected to a generator "Unlimited POWER!!!'
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before or after a hit?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: I hope it's not a week.