Hacking Bricked O3DS

AngelOfDeathEC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Hello, my standard 3ds was on 8.1.0-4 and tried to install 9.2.0-20 but i bricked the thing :(
First i downloaded 9.2.0-20 usa from 3dnus (all cia), then boot rxtools, launch rxmode sysnand, and install all cias with FBI from sysnand. Reboot..... and Black Screen :rofl:. Wont let me enter recovery mode too.

Any advice?:unsure:

sorry my english.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, my standard 3ds was on 8.1.0-4 and tried to install 9.2.0-20 but i bricked the thing :(
First i downloaded 9.2.0-20 usa from 3dnus (all cia), then boot rxtools, launch rxmode sysnand, and install all cias with FBI from sysnand. Reboot..... and Black Screen :rofl:. Wont let me enter recovery mode too.

Any advice?:unsure:

sorry my english.
Either flash your Nand back with a hard mod or use it as a door stop. Question why didnt you use Sysupdater which was made for that purpose instead of installing CIA's one by one?

Reactions: zoogie

Kane49

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Either flash your Nand back with a hard mod or use it as a door stop. Question why didnt you use Sysupdater which was made for that purpose instead of installing CIA's one by one?

I tried finding out what Systems are hackable, what that hack allows and what tools are best suited to apply it.
Unfortunately theres no one stop to find out those things on here @_@ At least none that i could find

AngelOfDeathEC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
thanks guys, so i'm gonna try the hardmod,i have a nand.bin when it was on 4.3 i think. Do you have instructions for the standard o3ds pinouts? all i see is for XL, and, do you gus know any confirmed and working tutorial for upgrading from sysnand?

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks guys, so i'm gonna try the hardmod,i have a nand.bin when it was on 4.3 i think. Do you have instructions for the standard o3ds pinouts? all i see is for XL, and, do you gus know any confirmed and working tutorial for upgrading from sysnand?
Download the firmware you want from 3DNUS put all those CIA's into a folder called updates onto the root of your SD card then just run sysUpdater

Frozen_Fish

Trophies
XP
Country
Same thing happened to me when attempting to update a 6.x O3DS to 9.2 in rxmode with sysupdater.
Black screen, had to hard mod and restore a backup.

I ended up using an early version of Pasta with only the sig check patches just to be safe.

NAND pinouts can be found here:
http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Hardware

AngelOfDeathEC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Same thing happened to me when attempting to update a 6.x O3DS to 9.2 in rxmode with sysupdater.
Black screen, had to hard mod and restore a backup.

I ended up using an early version of Pasta with only the sig check patches just to be safe.

NAND pinouts can be found here:
http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Hardware
Hey thanks, CLK pin has to be soldered on the back of the mbo and the others in the front? so i have to take the whole mbo out?

AngelOfDeathEC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Hope it works!!
WP_000556.jpg

Reactions: zoogie

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, You're suppose to be getting about 5 or so MB/s on transfer. You should double check your connections if the NAND restore fails. ;)

(try again with shorter wires if it fails)

Also, it's not directly related to rxTools/Gateway using NATIVE_FIRM. DevMenu/BigBlueMenu do not call the proper service commends when installing native_firm, thus the brick. You have to use sysupdater to install system update cias to sysnand and you still have to do so with a CFW that doesn't firmlaunch a native_firm that's newer then what you're trying to install.

Also updating using a retail cart will only work sefely if you use something similar to pasta that doesn't use firmlaunch to launch a newer native_firm since that will likely cause the firm install service calls to think native firm is already up to date and thus even updates from retail carts will still result in a brick. (probably one reason why updating from a rom in Gateway mode still bricks due to them using firmlaunch to launch a newer native firm)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
seems to be working, the thing is both screens are black :S
WP_000557.jpg
don't worry it should be fine, the BSOD than sometimes not occur, it just depends on how long it takes for your SD reader to initialize, if its slow the 3DS will start booting before the SD reader takes over (resulting in it just freezing on the black screens before it would of booted)
Hmm, You're suppose to be getting about 5 or so MB/s on transfer. You should double check your connections if the NAND restore fails. ;)

(try again with shorter wires if it fails)
yeah speeds vary between SD readers, i recognize that reader as one of the pound shop variety so read/write on them can be a bit slow

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
yeah the sd reader I have does 5mb/s for my nand mod. Back before I swapped cases, one of the pins solder points broke on the connector my SD adapter connects so. So sometimes when it wasn't full engaged I would only get the speeds he's getting in that screenshot. Hence why I thought perhaps his connections need rechecking incase he finds it still doesn't boot after he restores his nand backup. :P

The troublesome pin on my NAND mod got pushed back when I inserted the SD adapter connector for the first time. The guy that nand modded it for me agreed to fix it for me. But I've been putting that off as I don't want to ship off the 3DS and be without it for 4+ days. :P

I still plan to have it fixed by the time I eventually get a N3DS (as I plan to sell my current 3DS. I can't afford to keep both. :P )

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yeah the sd reader I have does 5mb/s for my nand mod. Back before I swapped cases, one of the pins solder points broke on teh connector my SD adapter connects so. So sometimes when it wasn't full engaged I would only get the speeds he's getting in that screenshot. Hence why I thought perhaps his connections need rechecking incase he finds it still doesn't boot after he restores his nand backup. :P
yeah it could also indicate the wires are too long, or one of his connections is weak.....,but for a temp mod, as long as it writes and works fine its all good :lol:

AngelOfDeathEC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
well, everything went just fine, i could see the bottom screen working, so i think the restore was fine. Now to put all in place, hope the upper screen needs to be reconnected only.

A question... is there a way to keep the wires inside? i think im not gonna screw it again. But hey, that CLK pin was pretty hard to solder.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let me get 56K
    +1
    I had EarthLink lol
    A bunch of NetZero accounts that I used for things... Lol
    +1
    So glad I'm not in prison lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea marriage is a bitch sometimes...
    I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol
    I knocked the east coast backbone of EarthLink offline for like 6 hours one time, was on the news and everything well I mean I wasn't on the news.... Just they where having "technical difficulties" lol
    +1
    Was just one single custom packet. I miss when Internet security was an afterthought lol almost all modems and network hardware operated in promiscuous mode.
    Now these days they do sanity checks.... The source IP can't also be the destination IP lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Now these days they do sanity checks.... The source IP can't also be the destination IP lol