Hacking Bricked my Wii....please advise.

Brickedmewii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah...I am a dummy. I successfully installed Waninkoko's (not sure about that spelling) 4.0 update....all of that went well. I was able to use CUSTOM Virtual Console files on SD even. Anyhow....after installing VC WADS....I restarted and the Wii says "system files are corrupted". Is there anything I can do? I have a wii-clip wiikey clone. I did not install Starfall....shame on me. I am thinking that the next system update I can try the four directional keys held down on bootup on a Gamecube controller. I am hoping that someone here might be able to help me so I do not have to wait that long. Thanks in advance. I guess I was over-excited about installing all of those VC games on the SD card. Dang it.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Brick

Apparently you can use a brick fixing disc since you have a modchip. Find a disc image like that and autoboot it from the recovery mode by doing the savemiifree thing (modding your controller and pressing all directions down on the D-Pad). Then again, I can't say if those discs work if you're on the latest firmware.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I think you'll have to create an autoboot disc with the wad manager or any title deleter on it.
Your modchip should be able to read it.
Then you can uninstall the wad(s) that cause the banner brick.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or if you have the Twilight Hack on your Wii still, you can modify a Twilight Princess ISO so it autoboots and load it from the recovery menu. From there you can launch the hack and run WAD Manager and delete all the VC titles you installed. Search around for directions on how to modify the disc because I don't know the process.

Brickedmewii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well....I was able to get to the 4.0 US screen using the four direction keys held down on bootup thing. After trying, and nothing happening....I rebooted. Now I have a black screen. Some dvd access....but just a black screen. Sounds much worse to me.
frown.gif

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Brickedmewii said:
Well....I was able to get to the 4.0 US screen using the four direction keys held down on bootup thing. After trying, and nothing happening....I rebooted. Now I have a black screen. Some dvd access....but just a black screen. Sounds much worse to me.
frown.gif

Did you put an autobooting disc in there? Like I said, an autoboot version of Zelda TP should let you run the TP Hack and boot into Wad Manager if you put it in the root of your SD card.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
It seems that you have patched IOS 60 for trucha, so you might use the autoboot discs...
If you ever been to 3.4 and so you might have still unpatched ios's so changing the used ios of the autoboot discs may help there...

If you have homebrew channel installed, download the iso template from here
http://static.hackmii.com/iso_template.iso.bz2

Then patch it to your region with regionfrii and make it autoboot with little tool called bootme...

Also there was a thread with ready prepared autoboot discs, you may try them too... can't find it at the moment...

Brickedmewii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xDlmaoxD said:
JJBro1 said:
how come so many ppl are getting bricked by waninkoko's 4.0 updater?

Banner brick, fro mthe VC not the update itself.
Read properly.
smile.gif

Just to reiterate.....I was a big dumb greedy loser. This has nothing to do with the updater.

Do you guys think I can really still save this thing when I have NO VIDEO? I am all but resolved to picking up a broken dvd wii off of ebay. I certainly am not afraid of messing with this thing....how can I make it worse...LOL.

Oh...THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES! I expected to be called a complete Dumb@$$ (which I was/am).

monk3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I feel for you i really do. But how has this banner brick actually occurred? I don't understand ow the VC has done this - was it due to a game from a different region?

Brickedmewii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure why it happened....all was working perfectly. I was using WAD manager channel to install WADS that said they were US NTSC. After I finished installing a few VC games I exited WAD Manager and it rebooted to what you have read about in the previous posts. I feel dumb...I was just being silly...was all excited about having a boatload of VC on my SDHC card. I am sure that one of the wads had an error on it and caused all of this. I just wish that trying to fix it did not kill the video. That was a pretty big turn for the worse. Ah well.....still have my 360 and World of Warcraft. Damn.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look, it WILL work. The brick didn't "kill the video," it just broke the system menu. Once you launch a game there will be video. Now get to it!

Brickedmewii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well FenrirWolf I REALLY appreciate your optimism! PM me exactly what you suggest I try. If this thing can be recovered I should be able to make a decent guide for others who make this mistake.

helloforum

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have a chip so all you need now is a wad manager autoboot disc.

Found this thread with an ISO.
http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=117690

From what I understand you just need to use SaveMiiFree (gc controller trick) to get into the black screen with version number and then insert the autoboot disc. It'll launch wad manager and you can uninstall the wads.

Brickedmewii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sadly, I was able to see the system version earlier. I tried using WAD manager and any region changer. Neither seemed to do anything.....disc read noise....then nothing. Now I have a black screen! The drive makes noise....if I put a disc in the ring goes blue, but no video. I disconnected my hdtv and reconnected the old composite....but no dice. I am burning an autoboot Zelda....but without video, I do not have high hopes. I will update after I try Zelda.

andrewhan4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brickedmewii said:
Sadly, I was able to see the system version earlier. I tried using WAD manager and any region changer. Neither seemed to do anything.....disc read noise....then nothing. Now I have a black screen! The drive makes noise....if I put a disc in the ring goes blue, but no video. I disconnected my hdtv and reconnected the old composite....but no dice. I am burning an autoboot Zelda....but without video, I do not have high hopes. I will update after I try Zelda.

If your intending to use the Twilight Hack with Zelda I don't think it will work. You updated to System Menu 4.0 which would have deleted the hack installed on your WII. It needs to be on your WII rather than just on your SD Card. Still it's worth trying anyhow.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-6512692/arcade-1-up-infinity-50-games-game-board.jsp?pfm=bdrecs...