Bricked my wii by installing vWii_Menu.wad

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Dias_Lima, Nov 10, 2018 at 2:06 PM.

1. Dias_Lima
    OP

Dias_Lima Newbie

Newcomer
    Saturday
    Brazil
    Long story short, I was installing some Wads (from wiiware and virtual console) and i came across this wad to install the vWii Menu. For some reason, I thought vWii referred to virtual console. So I installed it, because, despite not knowing what it was, i thought Wad files was only capable of installing channels, and not doing any kind of serious system modification.
    After I did it, I remembered what vWii really was, because my console never booted again. And i think that's probably the reason, because the only other thing i did was installing Check Mii out and everybody votes channels. So, this is the information I have:
    *When I press the power button, nothing appears on the TV. I have a LED TV, so I can tell that, sometimes, it receives signal, but it's just black.
    *I can turn on the console with the Wii Remote, but i can't sync the controller with the Wii.
    *If there is no DVD in it, when it's turned on, the DVD slot mechanism spins a few times, like it's trying to "swallow" a DVD.
    *I have a NAND backup.
    *I don't think i have BootMii as boot2, but I had priiloader, witch booted directly to USB Loader.
    *I tried loading priiloader, by holding reset and pressing power, but nothing happens.
    *Wii v4.3U, bought in 2010.
    *When the console is on, I can eject and put DVDs back in.
    *But the power and reset buttons do nothing. I con only hold power for 4 second to turn the console off.
    I really want to fix it, there are a few games i haven't played yet. And buying another one is, most likely, not a option. So, does anyone here can help me? I would be glad even with a hardware fix. I understand a few things about computer architecture, so I can try disassembling it and installing those "ModChip" things if you think it may help.

2. therainbowcreeperRBX

therainbowcreeperRBX Cute Blue Yoshi ^w^

Aug 1, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Yoshis Island
    if you have a nand backup maybe try restoring that? (idk)

3. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    installing a system menu replaced priiloader (which itself is installed in place of the system menu).
    if you don't have bootmii @ boot2, or a NAND dump, I don't think you can fix it.

I don't remember how Savemii is working, nor if it can help in this case.
    edit :
    https://savemii.net/troubleshooting.html

did you have only the vWii menu as wad, or another some vWii IOS wad ?
    just to know if you have only the system menu replaced or also all the IOSes.
    if IOS are fine, they could be used to boot game, or homebrew. If they are replaced then nothing will work, except NAND restoration.

If you have a NAND dump, you can restore it with a hardware flasher.

if you don't have it (you said you do, but just in case), did you follow a hacking guide which told you to backup your keys?
    if you have your keys, you can generate a new clean NAND with a tool on computer, and flash it with a hardware flasher.
    I think that's your last chance to use your console again, it'll be clean new but it'll work again. If possible, do it before 31 jan 2019 (nintendo closing their servers; no idea if we will be able to get IOS or not past that date).

Last edited by Cyan, Nov 10, 2018 at 2:27 PM
  4. Dias_Lima
    OP

Dias_Lima Newbie

Newcomer
    Saturday
    Brazil
    A long time ago, i dumped two files (nand.bin and key.bin), and I still have them. How could I restore them without priiloader, and how can I check if I have BootMii at boot2?

5. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    to know if you have bootmii installed in Boot2, eject the SD card and power the console.
    if the face LED flashes twice very fast, you have it ! (only early console could install into boot2)
    If you do, then you can restore your NAND from bootmii.

if there's no flashes, then you don't and you'll need a hardware flasher (and soldering skill) to restore the NAND dump.

Last edited by Cyan, Nov 10, 2018 at 2:30 PM
  6. bananapi761

bananapi761 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 8, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Norn Iron
    It's worth trying maintenance mode too, but I don't think it will work for this type of brick.

7. Dias_Lima
    OP

Dias_Lima Newbie

Newcomer
    Saturday
    Brazil
    If you mean the DVD slot LED, it only flashes once.
    Can you elaborate more about this hardware flasher?
    I can't get to the health warning screen, so no maintenance mode.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Only the vWii Menu.
    Okay, thanks. I'll search how to work with this hardware flasher

8. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    sorry that you don't have bootmii on boot2 :(
    you'll have to find how to use a flasher, but I can't help you there as I never used one nor know how it works.
    All I know is that you need to solder the tool on your NAND and use your computer to write the dump to it.

I know the name of one flasher : teensy
    there is another one, but I forgot the name.

9. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    Infectus is the flasher used by the famous @DeadlyFoez to recover from this sort of brick. You can message him if you want, he can fix it for you for a fee if you ship him your wii, backup nand and keys. Depending on where you live the shipping costs might mean this solution isn't cost effective (I e. You might be able to buy a replacement wii for less).

Edit: for the record I wouldn't personally mess around with soldering and stuff, just not my Forte. But DeadlyFoez is a master at this stuff, I've seen him do it. That being said, if you already have the tools it's not like it's going to cost you anything to try it personally, wii is already fried. But if you make it worse DeadlyFoez may or may not be able to fix whatever additional damage you might do trying to rip the nand of the board.

Last edited by XFlak, Nov 10, 2018 at 3:59 PM