Bricked launch day wii - bluetooth module replaced, no luck

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by gbalight, Aug 8, 2011.

1. gbalight
    OP

Newcomer gbalight Member

United States
    Hey Guys,
    I'm posting this as a last resort for some possible help. I hadn't played my wii in months, went to turn it on, and there was no video or sound. Checked obvious (tried different cables..component, composite...different tvs)... but anyway no luck.

This is a totally unmodded launch day system. Locked up a single time when playing metroid prime corruption back in the day. No other issues.

When I plug it in, the red light is on, I can turn it on from the remote or the console and the light goes green. It will accept a disc, and eject, but does not sound like it spins up. No sound or video through tv at all. Also of note: controllers will not sync no matter how much I mess with the sync button on the console or the remote.

After researching the "green light, no video", I thought it may be the bluetooth module. Since it was only about $7 shipped, I figured it was worht a shot. Well, I replaced it on saturday and no luck! In fact, after installing the new one, I couldn't even turn it on with the remote any more (figured it was due to the new module having never been synced to my specific remotes?). Anyway, I tore it down again and put the old bluetooth module in and I'm back to square one.

More notes: double and triple checked pins in dvd power connector cable and dvd data connection cable. Everything looked good. I'm used to working on electronics and everything looked fine.

Does anyone have any advice or magical instructions to offer before I THINK about sending to nintendo?

2. Thomas83Lin

Member Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

United States
    The wifi module, I believe it can show similar symptoms. The Wiimote turning the wii on, was a good sign it wasn't the bluetooth module, not syncing after the fact means its defiantly not booting into the system menu, so my best guess would be the wifi module. Good Luck

3. Evilengine

Newcomer Evilengine Advanced Member

Germany
    send it to nintendo, especially when its unmodded? ^^" maybe a bit expensive but you don't have to do anything..

4. gbalight
    OP

Newcomer gbalight Member

United States
    Yeah, I read about the wifi module becoming unseated or something, but all connections seemed fine to me. It's definitely unmodded. I guess maybe I'll see what it costs to replace the wifi module...if it's gets to be too much i'll prob just send it in. $7 for the bluetooth was no problem, but once you start throwing parts at it it can add up quickly [​IMG]

5. petspeed

Member petspeed GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
  6. gbalight
    OP

Newcomer gbalight Member

United States
    Cool, thanks for the link! I'm probably going to tear it down again tonight after work and re-seat the card and just visually inspect things as best I can. Not sure if I'll buy a module or not though or just send for repair. I just don't want to keep throwing money at it and then end up paying for repair anyway [​IMG] I'll post any results later on. Thanks again [​IMG]