KirovAir

Alcoholic Programmer
Trophies
Website
www.jessesander.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I like how darkfaders' evil creation is still haunting DS users after all these years.
smile.gif

I got flashme installed on all my DS's, so no worries though.

Some nice legacy info about the guy that is responsible for the best, and worst devlopment projects for DS.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
KidIce said:
plasma dragon007 said:
Wombo Combo said:
@youtube video

Why would you intentionally brick a perfectly good Nintendo DS Phat like that?

Because if it is FlashMe'd it is protected from bricks. You can just boot into your slot-2 card and re-flashMe it.

And that's actually why they used a fat... Anyone thinking of putting FlashMe on their lite to protect themselves from brickage needs to seriously read the docs and decide if they REALLY want DS firmware on their lite. You will lose the multiple brightness settings, you will never be able to install the original firmware to restore it, and I'm sure there are things I am forgetting.

If you have a fat: read the docs, know the risks, and hell yes install FlashMe if you find those risks acceptable. If you have a lite, read those docs a little closer and the stories about brickage from shorting the wrong leads... You probably won't want to install it then.
We live in 2011. A Flashme version with full DS Lite support has been out for over four years.

Also, I think I read that newer DS Lite revisions protect more of their BIOS flash.

KirovAir

Alcoholic Programmer
Trophies
Website
www.jessesander.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
KidIce said:
plasma dragon007 said:
Wombo Combo said:
@youtube video

Because if it is FlashMe'd it is protected from bricks. You can just boot into your slot-2 card and re-flashMe it.

And that's actually why they used a fat... Anyone thinking of putting FlashMe on their lite to protect themselves from brickage needs to seriously read the docs and decide if they REALLY want DS firmware on their lite. You will lose the multiple brightness settings, you will never be able to install the original firmware to restore it, and I'm sure there are things I am forgetting.

If you have a fat: read the docs, know the risks, and hell yes install FlashMe if you find those risks acceptable. If you have a lite, read those docs a little closer and the stories about brickage from shorting the wrong leads... You probably won't want to install it then.

Flashing a lite isn't really that risky, unless you are actually trowing solder in SL-1 or something.
Also, a DS-lite compatible version of flashme has been out for literally ages now.

QUOTE(777kidis777 @ Aug 18 2011, 07:57 AM)
This question may have been answered, but I still don't think I got it:

What if it were to happen to a DSi/XL?

Nothing will happen. The firmware/encryption is not alike.

ichichfly

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
if someone asks why someone make this code it is easy just 5-10 lines.

Also after that everyone can injekt a new arm7 file into a nds. It do not even take a min. Anyway be happy it was a only this virus I know someone who made (only made never released (only on some chat)) that is better than this some facts about this (better) Virus

It has an injekter that injekt it into ds files and add data that restor the original crc32 (crc64 is of cause different)

destroy some hw (I don't know how that work and I won't test it)

if a emulater was used the payload is not executed the game start normaly if it is started on an real ds it need some time but than it starts normaly as well but may crash at some points. But as soon as you restart the ds it is bricked

has change code every time you use the injektor so it bypass all trys to detect this in a never tested file

ther is more but I forgott that sorry and i don't have the file anymore.

KirovAir

Alcoholic Programmer
Trophies
Website
www.jessesander.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
ichichfly said:

No, it's not, the assembly of the original DSBricker alone is about 147kb alone, which is way more than those 5-10 lines.

QUOTE(ichichfly @ Aug 18 2011, 02:38 PM) if someone asks why someone make this code it is easy just 5-10 lines.

That makes it very hard to believe your story.

ichichfly

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Darkmystery said:
ichichfly said:

No, it's not, the assembly of the original DSBricker alone is about 147kb alone, which is way more than those 5-10 lines.

QUOTE(ichichfly @ Aug 18 2011, 02:38 PM) if someone asks why someone make this code it is easy just 5-10 lines.

That makes it very hard to believe your story.

[Removed by Staff -- please don't post that sort of code here.]

ok the result is the same more than 10 lines but still easy and the 10 lines are not for the better one only for the original

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fat D said:
We live in 2011. A Flashme version with full DS Lite support has been out for over four years.

Also, I think I read that newer DS Lite revisions protect more of their BIOS flash.

Ah. I haven't looked at FlashMe since I flashed my fat, and decided I didn't want to lose my briteness settings on my lite and Slot 1 carts had made it mostly unnecessary. I honestly never looked at it again... Maybe I'll finally flash my lite then. Thanks. :-D

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
777kidis777 said:
Darkmystery said:
777kidis777 said:
This question may have been answered, but I still don't think I got it:

What if it were to happen to a DSi/XL?

Nothing will happen. The firmware/encryption is not alike.

So the DSi/XL's are COMPLETELY safe from these bricking programs?

Anything can brick if just the right circumstances happen to appear. But as for the DS/DSL brickers, no.

-Qtis

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can download your rom from whatever warez source you find, but just make sure you check it with a trusted dat file, before installing on your flash card. I use no-intro. Your rom will be checked by CRC32, MD5, and SHA1. If it passes all 3 checks, you can bet your first-born son the rom is good.
yaynds.gif

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KidIce said:
plasma dragon007 said:
Wombo Combo said:
@youtube video

Yes, I know you've replied to people saying you were wrong in what you said but I want to add one interesting thing that you likely don't know about FlashMe on a DS Phat:

From what I have read, later in the production of the DS Phat, before it got discontinued but when the Lite was already in production, Nintendo was using a different LCD module for the screen, and it actually had a variable backlight in it, just like the Lite. So by installing the newest version of FlashMe on your Phat, you could potentially get the same 4 level backlight as the Lite. If it didn't have the right LCD module, then you don't get it; just on and off.

But FlashMe had been in v.7 when I got it, I think, which had DS Lite support on it. I still have all 4 levels of back light on it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
jurassicplayer said:
Lesson here: Don't be such a nub or stop pirating.

Actually, the advice should be: "download your ROM's from sites that already have a reputation behind them, not ones that scream "hey, download your virus HERE!" and you'll be fine".

Seriously, I have no idea how many ROM's I already played on my DS and never had any problems whatsoever. Where'd you even GET that bricker? I thought these were purged from the internet by now. There's only 2 of them afterall.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM