Hacking Brick protection, priiloader next step? is it needed?

ColdEagle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi,
I'm looking for some guidance from you pro's r.e. my situation, I apologise for the n00b request. I am following on from my initial post here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/noob-paradise-ask-away.131884/

In short I have hbc installed, bootmii installed (ios, I actually cant remember if it gave me the option for boot2 as I was following the guide mentioned in my original post).
a nand back up from bootmii to my sd card.

I believe in order to give me some form of protection I need to now install priiloader, is this correct? is this still the next step given that many guides are out of date?

my 'goal' is to get my wii games playing from a usb drive*, I assume that priiloader is still recommended even with this goal?

Thanks for the help

if I need to perform the priiloader step I assume I can just jump in with the following, without any further changes?
LukeHasAWii advised
"USB drive is easiest. You need to install a cIOS first to use usb: https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers/installation
And you need to install a usb loader (preferably usbloadergx) https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers/usb"

and GreyWolf kindly clarified:
"Make sure when following that cIOS guide that you choose "beta52" for both slots 249 and 250. I don't know why it suggests beta53 but that can lead to compatibility problems."

Last edited by ColdEagle,

Sharthox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really if you already have bootmii then you have pretty much all the protection you need. But with that in mind I guarantee that you will like priiloader for its features. Although it isn't necessary I recommend it for the system hacks

Reactions: ColdEagle

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If bootmii is ios only then you really don't have much if any protection. Even with bootmii on boot2, priiloader is still recommended for the features as stated above.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If bootmii is ios only then you really don't have much if any protection. Even with bootmii on boot2, priiloader is still recommended for the features as stated above.

This. BootMii as an IOS can't be started unless you can get to the point where you can launch a channel that supports it. Priiloader can do it before the system menu loads.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are the benefits of having priiloader? Bootmii cannot be installed as boot2 on my wii, so...

Priiloader loads before the system menu so if it's bricked you still have a chance at least. BootMii as IOS requires something else to start it unlike boot2, so that would be Priiloader. :)

(This is what I said a few posts above.)

Sharthox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much, I'll get on with installing priiloader today, would anyone be able to just confirm I'm ok to just jump in and follow step 3 here? I'm concerned things are out of date or I've missed a requirement.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...backup-wii-gamecube-and-wiiware-games.360687/

Download the version here:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Priiloader

Then install it through homebrew.
After that just launch it by holding down the reset button, pressing the power button while still holding down the reset until it launches.
Feel free to ask questions! Good luck!

ColdEagle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Download the version here:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Priiloader

Then install it through homebrew.
After that just launch it by holding down the reset button, pressing the power button while still holding down the reset until it launches.
Feel free to ask questions! Good luck!
thanks installed, not got around to doing any menu hacks, do i need to do another nand backup at this stage?

just to confirm as i'm on the cIOS stage can i just copy and paste "beta52" over "beta53" so it reads:
"How to install (don't press A unless told!):

• Your cursor ( > ) will be on the cIOS d2x Version. Change the version to v10 beta52 using the D-PAD (left/right).
  • Move down, and change the IOS Base to 56.
  • Move down again, and change the IOS slot to 249.
    • In some cases it may warn you that the current (c)IOS or stub will be overwritten. You can ignore this warning.
  • If you want, you can change the revision under the fourth option, though this doesn't directly change the result.
    • This revision is only used by the Wii when checking updates. You can set the version to maximum (65535) to prevent any future updates from overwriting it (the installer can still overwrite it).
  • You are now ready to install, so press A to continue. You will land on an overview with the available cIOS slots.

The slot you just selected should be blinking. Several other slots may be highlighted in red or purple, depending on your console and possible previous softmods.

IMAGE HERE

Press A to start the installation.
    Wait for the progress to complete. It may take a while, especially for the online installation.

Once it finishes, you will land on another IOS overview screen.
    Your freshly installed cIOS should be highlighted in a green color.

Press the A button to go back to the configuration screen.

Next, you want to configure the second cIOS. This time, use the following settings:
    • d2x version: v10 beta52
    • cIOS base: 57
    • cIOS slot: 250.
    • cIOS revision: 65535
    IMAGE HERE

Again, press A to install it and wait for the process to finish.
    Once everything is installed, press B to exit the application."

I just want to ensure im doing it all correct before i act each stage, thanks

Sharthox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I edited it so it's more descriptive!
  • Your cursor ( > ) will be on the cIOS d2x Version. Change the version to v10 beta52 using the D-PAD (left/right).
  • Move down, and change the IOS Base to 56.
  • Move down again, and change the IOS slot to 249.
    • In some cases it may warn you that the current (c)IOS or stub will be overwritten. You can ignore this warning.
  • You are now ready to install, so press A to continue. You will land on an overview with the available cIOS slots.

• The slot you just selected should be blinking. Several other slots may be highlighted in red or purple, depending on your console and possible previous softmods.
  • Move over to that slot (should be 249)

Press A to start the installation.
    Wait for the progress to complete. It may take a while, especially for the online installation.

Once it finishes, you will land on another IOS overview screen.
    Your freshly installed cIOS should be highlighted in a green color.

Press the A button to go back to the configuration screen.

Next, you want to configure the second cIOS. This time, use the following settings:
    • d2x version: v10 beta52
    • cIOS base: 57
    • cIOS slot: 250.
    • cIOS revision: 65535

Again, Move over to the 250 slot and press A to install it and wait for the process to finish.
    Once everything is installed, press B to exit the application."
You can do an NAND backup if you don't have one.

I HAVE v10 Beta 53 installed on base 57 cios slot 250, I've heard that it may cause some compatibility issues, but I haven't had any.
You can go ahead and use beta52 for them though you'll be fine. BUT I believe that wiiflow requires beta53 though. So if you are using that get beta53. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Last edited by Sharthox,

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I HAVE v10 Beta 53 installed on base 57 cios slot 250, I've heard that it may cause some compatibility issues, but I haven't had any.
You can go ahead and use beta52 for them though you'll be fine. BUT I believe that wiiflow requires beta53 though. So if you are using that get beta53. Good luck!

No, nothing should require beta53 unless you want support for both USB ports. It is not recommended to connect two HDDs at the same time anyway, so the only real use is if your port0 was defective.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you did a NAND backup earlier (especially when you first started modding) it's best to keep that one. It would have the least modifications to it if something goes wrong.

ColdEagle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Update:
cIOS installed. Woohoo!
Usbloader gx installed, just about to use a older backup hdd for my games, ive read it needs a wbfs partition etc is this correct? A vid suggests it'll auto format. I've some bits I'd like to keep on the drive along with the games, without losing them. Iirc it'll be ntfs. Had secretly hoped I could just create a folder on the drive.
I've also noticed when I load usbloadergx that the top of the screen is chopped off, I can't find a setting to move the image (down).
Thank you for the help so far, nearly there!

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Update:
cIOS installed. Woohoo!
Usbloader gx installed, just about to use a older backup hdd for my games, ive read it needs a wbfs partition etc is this correct? A vid suggests it'll auto format. I've some bits I'd like to keep on the drive along with the games, without losing them. Iirc it'll be ntfs. Had secretly hoped I could just create a folder on the drive.
I've also noticed when I load usbloadergx that the top of the screen is chopped off, I can't find a setting to move the image (down).
Thank you for the help so far, nearly there!

when you read tutorials/vidoes, you should note their date of release or if the source is reliable. wbfs partition has long be obsoleted by FAT32
NTFS works fine with usbloaders but not with many other homebrews including GC loaders

Sharthox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when you read tutorials/vidoes, you should note their date of release or if the source is reliable. wbfs partition has long be obsoleted by FAT32
NTFS works fine with usbloaders but not with many other homebrews including GC loaders

Like the man said, no need for a wbfs drive. In fact I would recommend FAT32 since it works for GC and homebrew apps

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome