Hacking Brawl & SDHC

wiiztec

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I should have clarified I ment getting brawl to be able to read SDHC cards for saving custom stages replays and snapshots

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember the article on Hackmii about Nintendo's IOS system meaning that older games won't be able to support new features? This is an example of that.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
FenrirWolf said:
Remember the article on Hackmii about Nintendo's IOS system meaning that older games won't be able to support new features? This is an example of that.

But I'm pretty sure it is IOS that manages SD/SDHC r/w, not inbuilt into the game. Although perhaps the game has some relevant code aswell... I wouldn't know.

wiiztec: Maybe, let's give it a shot eh? If you have preloader and IOS60, you can use the IOSreload hack to run games off IOS60 (with a slight modification, i posted the hack in another thread).

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You want to do what the brawl already does with a SDHC......mmmm.....maybe GeckOS can add the feature of reading from SDHC, maybe..!!
smile.gif

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the article:
QUOTE said:
Even worse - some things that should have been implemented in IOS aren’t. Like the Bluetooth stack and the Wii Remote code. Forget about any Bluetooth device support in older games - they couldn’t pull off a VoIP feature, ever. The SD card filesystem code is implemented in the games, which means that they can’t possibly add any code that uses SD card files, because two filesystem drivers can’t be used on the same device at the same time.

SDHC support was able to be added to the system menu easily enough, but it can't be retroactively done to older games.

wiiztec

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the information about the SD card format is built into the ISO then perhaps a file replacemen't code (like the texture hack codes) could be used to replace the SD format recogntion file with an SD/SDHC format recogntion file

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you were going to do so, you'd have to modify both the game code and the IOS used.
As can be noted, pretty much every update has the System Menu going to a higher IOS version.
That's to support any new features that may be in the new IOS.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Waninkoko's cIOS rev10 includes a separate SDHC module under /dev/sdio/sdhc. The standard SD module that games use is under /dev/sdio/slot0. Unfortunately the new module uses a different interface, so it's not possible to patch old games (slot0 -> sdhc). But if wiigator (who wrote the new SDHC module, as I understand it) could make the new module use the same interface as the old one, it would be simple to get SDHC support working in older games.
(I would really love to use SDHC cards for my RB2/GHWT DLC
biggrin.gif
)

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A new cIOS + a new routine in the backup loader to patch the game to use /dev/sdio/sdhc instead of /dev/sdio/slot0. Most likely it would be incompatible with running games from the SD card though.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wiiztec said:
Why both?

The IOS is like the drivers. The drivers take commands and then run the hardware. The game too has to be modified though to take advantage of the new features in the IOS.

It doesn't matter if you get a new engine for your car if you don't know how to use it is basically what I'm saying.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The difference between the original SD and SDHC module would be so small that the same interface could be used (same IOCTLs) so in theory the game wouldn't need any new code, just the string for IOS_Open would need to be changed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm doing fine, and you?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, happy birthday