1. ratirefure

OP ratirefure Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    So, I updated to 8.0.0 using ChoiDujourNX, (and updated Atmosphere and Hekate), then had some problems so I wanted to revert to a backup I had just made yesterday. I tried to revert but realized I had already moved the backup to my computer. So I powered off, copied the backup back onto my (fat32) microSD, and...

Nothing. It doesn't turn on at all. It doesn't enter RCM (that I can tell) and it won't show any splash screens at all. When I plug it into the dock, the indicator light flashes for a split-second, and the power light on my HDMI switcher stays on (showing that it, at least, is receiving power from the Switch). If I plug it into my computer, it's like it doesn't even exist; TegraRCMGui doesn't see it, nor does Device Manager (Win10). I've tried every USB port on two separate computers, so it's clear that it's on the Switch's end.

I've tried leaving it to charge for over two hours (thinking the battery could be completely RCM drained) but it still doesn't turn on. I'm thinking this is RIP.

If anyone can help that'd be great, and if any more details are needed I can try to get those. A quick spec rundown:

Tegra-exploitable Switch
    OFW 8.0.0 (updated with ChoiDujourNX)
    Atmosphere 0.8.8
    Hekate 4.9.1
    128GB MicroSD formatted to FAT32
    Original Dock and AC Adapter (the ones that came with the system)
    Joy-Con Charging Grip cable used to connect Switch to PC

EDIT: My "problems" had turned out to be not severe so I hadn't mentioned it, but I probably should, to rule things out. It was basically the 2000-0000 Atmosphere boot crash that everyone else had been seeing (the one that gets fixed if you just delete some patches). I overreacted and wanted to go back to 7.0.1 to at least see it boot properly again. I had gone into Hekate once, then chose "power off" from the Hekate menu and removed the SD to put it into my computer (and get the backup from my computer)

Last edited by ratirefure, Apr 21, 2019
  2. tommaloney

tommaloney Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    I just went thru this myself....lol

Ok did you try the power button for 30 second , let go and press once to see if it turns on.....NO that didn't work..ok here is what I did.

plugged into pc, downloaded tegarcmgui and installed the driver. Put atmosphere back on my card and booted hekate and booted back Into atmoshpere. Updated back to 8.0. turned off rcm and profit. but I did eventually down grade to 7.0.1 successfully :)

hope that helps cause that's what I did

if I can help more let me know

3. ratirefure

OP ratirefure Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    No matter how long I hold the power button, the Switch's current power state (whatever that is) doesn't seem to change at all. And since I can't turn the thing on at all, I can't get into Hekate or push any payloads

UPDATE:
    Left the thing in the dock overnight. Still nothing. I think it's time to get an F in the chat.

Last edited by ratirefure, Apr 21, 2019
  4. wolfin12

wolfin12 Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I have the same issue :/

any follow up ?

5. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Unplug your battery see if that fixed it for you.

6. wolfin12

wolfin12 Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    already try that doesn't work

7. ratirefure

OP ratirefure Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Sorry, I can't provide any meaningful follow-up. The switch is still a corpse on my desk to this day, every once in a while i attempt to plug it into my computer to see if it recognizes it to no avail.

vividiorem likes this.
  8. yorguenaut

yorguenaut Newbie
    Newcomer

Venezuela
    So, basically you didn't even manage to downgrade, right? Try to turn it on, and get your ear close to the fan exit. Sometimes you can feel or hear the fan spinning.

It looks like a new type of brick, probably related to RCM or AutoRCM

9. Resaec

Resaec GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    This is a common "brick" for impatient people.
    Actually holding the power button down for 12 seconds can be hard.
    Also following written tutorials to make sure you install the APX driver.

And there will always be those ppl that get the idea that RCM can ever brick.
    Following the "fix autoRCM dead battery" technique has yet to not fix an autoRCM depleted battery.

Make it simple and follow the tutorial steps to the word.
    (Not the actual tut)
    Don't use the dock, plug the wall charger directly into the switch, power it off (12+s), power it on.... and wait (long).
    Connect it to your PC, power it off (12+s), power it on, check for the driver (device manager), see that it gets detected again, push hekate, leave it loading.

MUDD_BR likes this.
  10. ratirefure

OP ratirefure Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Every time I attempt to revive the thing again, I time myself holding the power button for 20 seconds using my phone's stopwatch; I make sure it's +8s of overkill specifically because I want to overcompensate for human error.

Yes, I have the APX driver installed, I attempt a reinstall every time I try to do anything with my Switch, and this is on the same computer (and same Windows install) I used to hack the thing in the first place.

The problem isn't [shouldn't be] "AutoRCM dead battery" because by the time my Switch decided to sudoku, it still had like 80% battery, so sorry if that wasn't the first thing I tried.

I have the thing plugged into the wall with the charger that came with it now, and I'm leaving it there for a few more hours. I'll update y'all if it actually amounts to something, even though I'm pretty sure this is something I've already tried.

In the meantime, Resaec, I suggest looking over your message and seeing if the condescension was intentional, and if so, whether it was really necessary, or just something to make you feel superior to me and others in this thread. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

EDIT: I kept it on the charger for around 4 hours and I'm still getting nothing from the Switch. It's not appearing at all in Device Manager and TegraRcmGUI isn't seeing it either. I even tried booting it with a jig and still nothing. I'll charge it overnight to see if anything comes of that.

Last edited by ratirefure, Jun 4, 2019
    alivebacon likes this.
  11. ratirefure

OP ratirefure Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Bumping because, I fixed it.
    I followed Thistletea's advice on a thread about the AutoRCM dead battery thing (can't link it here, because am new) and now I have a Switch again!
    Here's their advice (replacing SX dongle with USB cable connected to PC):

Last edited by ratirefure, Jun 4, 2019
    vividiorem likes this.
  12. yorguenaut

yorguenaut Newbie
    Newcomer

Venezuela
    Good to see it worked for you, however you're not using SX dongle right? you did it with usb + tegra

13. ratirefure

OP ratirefure Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    That's correct, yeah. amended.

14. Solutioni9e

Solutioni9e Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I'm having the same exact problem. I came back home, unplugged my Switch from charging and then manually turned it off (held power button for 5 seconds, tapped Turn Off.) Now it won't turn back on. I don't have a SX dongle but I do have jig. Should I try what you did?

15. ratirefure

OP ratirefure Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    gonna be real with you, the thing i did only lasted me a day or two. it's broke again. you can try it if you want, but i can't recommend it.

16. monkeyman4412

monkeyman4412 Gbatemp's moronic trash

United States
    I am a idiot, redacted

17. Solutioni9e

Solutioni9e Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I got it working. Was in RCM mode the entire time. All I did was inject payload. Dumbass me.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - (possible, problem, brick)