gamer220

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I am a huge fan of boxee. Its a media center player that was spawned from XBMC team. I just think it would be awesome to somehow get this to work on the wii. On boxee website they post the source code for the program. I doubt the wii can handle such a program. But who knows. Maybe a strip down version of it. Anyone know if this can be done?

http://boxee.tv/

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
maybe it would be possible but it will never be done. simply because it doesn't make any sense. if it would xbmc would have been ported already. there was a big discussion about porting xbmc to the wii some time ago.

hughjass

Trophies
Website
www.marcreeves.co.uk
XP
Country
xbmc has been ported, at least partially, I believe by the xbmc team themselves. Still not particularly useful though. I personally don't get the need for multimedia players on the wii, I mean we all have so many other devices capable of playing films and music in our homes, I don't see the real need for it, as nice as it might be for some.

Who knows though, something may come along? Mplayer or whatever it's called has been making some progress I think, and is having a nice looking GUI implemented soon.

gamer220

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
what makes boxee so cool is that it searches the web for different media sources for you. So i just type in a tv show or movie and it will find it if its available and stream it for me. This program can def cut down your cable tv bill. All the tv shows you want and movies could be found using boxee. Its great.

hughjass

Trophies
Website
www.marcreeves.co.uk
XP
Country
Sounds good, I enjoy the online on demand tv services, which are a similar kind of thing. Would be nice to have Boxee on wii, but it probably wouldn't run especially well. I mean the BBC iplayer is handled pretty well on wii, but the streaming is low quality (although not too bad by any means.)

I take it you are running boxee on your PC currently, then? Just makes me wonder what the need for it on your wii is, other than convenience? Honestly there would have to be a lot of people wanting the same convenience, most of them coders, for it to happen.

japzone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Boxee on the Wii is do-able. I got the Netflix Disc for Wii back in April and the Video Quality is as good as DVD gets. And recently another MultiMedia Player for Wii came out called WiiMC and it's got the Slickest GUI and plays almost anything. It has a lot of Online Streaming and Local Network Streaming options and Streaming Videos (Even DVD quality AVIs) works great over the Network. Why you couldn't do Boxee on the Wii just sounds dumb to me because the way I look at it I think "How could it not be done?".

Err0rist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be awesome on the Wii with the remote, but XBMC just did cut support on the original Xbox because of it not being able to handle HD content.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Yeah, they were going for that.