Bought a botched CFW install 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Harsky, May 18, 2017.

1. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I bought a faulty 3DS console but when I turn it on, instead of it making a popping noise and then shutting down, it turns on and then the blue light slowly turns off. Took a gamble and assumed that it must be the result of a CFW install that didn't go well.

I copied arm9loaderhax.bin from the Luma3ds file into a spare SD card, and all of a sudden I find myself with a 3DS that boots perfectly. Except that it's now on 2.1.0-4U. So at this point, I'm trying to figure out what to do now. It would be nice to finish the CFW and gift it to my relative but I would be happy with a fully working stock one as well.

Another question is that this is meant to be an EU 3DS but the "U" at the end of the firmware makes me wonder if the seller messed up the install and used a US firmware instead.

2. Drew That Gamer

Drew That Gamer weeb

Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    Arlington, VA
    I would say just try to reinstall A9LH and then continue with the A9LH guide from there, but I'm not an expert on this subject.

(P.S. nice profile pic :>)

3. PabloMK7

PabloMK7 Red Yoshi! ^ω^

Feb 21, 2014
    Spain
    Yoshi's Island
    Look at the serial number behind the console, which are the first 3 letters? Also, you can just make a ctrtransfer to 9.2 and then update from there if you don't have any nand backups.

4. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    It starts with CEF. I google image searched a US 3DS and it's missing the CE markings. The one I have has the CE markings which brings up this question. Was it possible that the previous owner installed a US firmware by mistake and is it possible to turn it back to EU firmware?

5. PabloMK7

PabloMK7 Red Yoshi! ^ω^

Feb 21, 2014
    Spain
    Yoshi's Island
    Yes, CE stands for EU. The previous owner just messed up and installed the wrong region firmware.

https://3ds.guide/9.2.0-ctrtransfer
    Follow that guide if you don't have a nand backup. It will update your system to 9.2E and fix the region issue. From there you can update to 11.4

6. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Would it be okay to use the EU 9.2 CTR on the 2.1U 3DS?

7. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004

EDIT: Yep, it's safe to use EU CTR on US 2.1 firmware. Now I can continue with the guide.

PabloMK7 likes this.