Hacking BootNTR not working / BootNTR Selector not reading plugins

JulesFV

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi everyone.

I was trying to solve this problem on my own, but after two intense days of errors, I've decided to sign up to this forum and ask for an help.

Basically, I hacked my New Nintendo 3Ds about 2 years ago. And since then I never updated or touched anything.
Three days ago I updated everything, because I wanted to play online again, and I used the guide on 3DS Hacks Guide, following the section Updating B9S.
I updated all the stuff and my 3Ds too from system settings.

Everything is okay, minus the BootNTR.

This is what I always get:

BootNTR 3.2
tmpBuffer: 1418a000
IsNew3DS: 1
firmVersion: 00000000
param is missing: ntrConfig->PMSvcRunAdd
r
ERROR: unknown FIRM, access-checks could not be patched
InterProcessDmaFinishState: 00000004
copyRemoteMemory/controlProcessMemory OK

mapSize: 00283000, size: 00283000
HomeFSReadAddr: 0012c118
HomeFSUHandleAddr: 0032efa4
HomeCardUpdateInitAddr:00118d18
HomeAptStartAppleAddr: 0012e9a8
HomeMenuInjectAddr: 00145990
Press X if you want to start ram dumping

What I tried was:
Updating Luma
Downgrading Luma to 9.1
Not working
Using the latest version of BootNtr
Not working
Trying BootNTR Selector
It works, the menu in and out game opens by pressing x + y, but the plugins never load. It never goes green when starting any game. Maybe here I am doing something wrong? Or maybe the plugins are not compatible with the new version of BootNTR Selector? I still can't understand how it works.

What my goal is:
Being at a firmware version that lets me still play online, not resulting outdated
Being able to still play offline on my own, using cheats, like I did in these two past years

Do I resolve this by downgrading my firmware to an older one that works whit BootNTR and still isn't too old to launch online games?
I don't know how it works, if it is possible, I'm just trying.

What I don't understand is:
Why BootNTR Selector does not read the plugins?
What's the difference between BootNTR and NTR CFW
Is BootNTR still being updated and working, or the support stops at a certain Firmware version?
Has BootNTR evolved into BootNTR Selector?
Why do I need on BootNTR Selector to being able to choose between 3.2, 3.3, 3.6? Shouldn't I use always the latest version?

Sorry for writing so much, but I prefer to make it clear from the star what the general problem is and what I know / think about it, so you already have all the informations.

Hoping that someone maybe can help me or, at least, tell me something that I don't know, or answer to my doubts, I intrust to you.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
BootNTR has been discontinued since more than a year ago, use the Selector since that one is up to date. As for why your plugins aren't loading, are you sure they are .plg files and are in the correct directory while also loading the proper version of BootNTR Selector (Mode 3 or normal)?

If you update firmwares, of course other homebrews will probably lose compatibility and need updating, doesn't take a genius to understand that... As for what you don't understand at the bottom:
1 - Read the start of my post
2 - They are the same thing, but BootNTR is what loads NTR CFW
3 - Read the start of my point
4 - Not exactly, Selector was meant as a version with more options to allow for use with more plugins since some got outdated, but ended up superior so original one got discontinued
5 - Like I said right above, some old plugins lose compatibility with 3.6 and also some features are slightly different, although you should always default to 3.6 as it's the best and only use the others if you are having compatibility issues

Reactions: NoNAND

JulesFV

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
As for why your plugins aren't loading, are you sure they are .plg files and are in the correct directory while also loading the proper version of BootNTR Selector (Mode 3 or normal)?

The .plg files are inside the title corresponding folder, inside the folder "plugin", in the root of the Micro SD.
I have tried all of the versions I could find. Mode 3 and normal too.

Still, BootNTR Selector is working, if I press x + y it opens, but the plugins are not loading.

Last edited by JulesFV,

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The .plg files are inside the title corresponding folder, inside the folder "plugins", in the root of the Micro SD.
I have tried all of the versions I could find. Mode 3 and normal too.

Still, BootNTR Selector is working, if I press x + y it opens, but the plugins are not loading.
you have to rename it plugin Without the s on it for it to work.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
First off, do you have Luma 9.1 or the 10.1? 10.1 breaks NTR completely for the time being... Also, the folder structure should be "plugin"→"[game high+low ID]"→"[game high+low ID].plg or plugin.plg". Make sure IDs match properly and everything! Also, HAVE you set up NTR properly? You need more than the CIA, you need the NTR file for the root of the SD card (ntr.bin)...

Reactions: JulesFV

piek50

Trophies
XP
Country
Suriname
I have the same problem BootNTR Selector is working , but the plugins aren't loading
after i update to 11.10
Now i regret updating mine 3DSxl.:nayps3:

Can someone do an update for de BootNTR? :cry:

Last edited by piek50,

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
BootNTR and NTR CFW are rendered obsolete at this point. Not only does the latest update break NTR CFW from functioning normaly but as @ThoD aforementioned support for NTR cfw has been dropped.

For now at best Sharkive is your only way of getting cheatcodes to work with your games.
Sharkive uses gateshark coded stored in a plain .txt format. Moreover it uses Luma CFWs built-in cheat/debugger without the need of having to run additional apps.
With Sharkive you can get the cheats hosted on their database with the click of a button for your desired game. What's more, you can manually edit those cheats by adjusting them to your liking by adding removing lines and strings of code unlike in the previous oldschool NTR plugins which had limitations and would require you to start from scratch hence having to convert gateshark codes to the ntr plugin format.
Get the cia file and install it or simply scan the QR with FBI.
on a last note. To access your downloaded cheats run a game press L+Down+Select, once the rosalina menu pops up choose cheats from there on and select your desired cheats to activate/deactivate

Reactions: Deleted User

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
BootNTR and NTR CFW are rendered obsolete at this point. Not only does the latest update break NTR CFW from functioning normaly but as @ThoD aforementioned support for NTR cfw has been dropped.

For now at best Sharkive is your only way of getting cheatcodes to work with your games.
Sharkive uses gateshark coded stored in a plain .txt format. Moreover it uses Luma CFWs built-in cheat/debugger without the need of having to run additional apps.
With Sharkive you can get the cheats hosted on their database with the click of a button for your desired game. What's more, you can manually edit those cheats by adjusting them to your liking by adding removing lines and strings of code unlike in the previous oldschool NTR plugins which had limitations and would require you to start from scratch hence having to convert gateshark codes to the ntr plugin format.
Get the cia file and install it or simply scan the QR with FBI.
on a last note. To access your downloaded cheats run a game press L+Down+Select, once the rosalina menu pops up choose cheats from there on and select your desired cheats to activate/deactivate
Little note on this, Sharkive often has broken cheats, but the database is being worked on so for more recent games just be patient and you'll eventually get working cheats if NTR isn't working for you. As for NTR Selector, as long as you stay on Luma 9.1, it should still be working, it was 10.0 that broke compatibility.

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
@ThoD i believe people could contribute to Sharkive's database by adding cheats manually and uploading them.
Bugs aside, sharkive seems really cool as a notion and idea. It's lightweight and doesn't require you much to do in order to set it up.

Reactions: Deleted User

piek50

Trophies
XP
Country
Suriname
@ThoD i believe people could contribute to Sharkive's database by adding cheats manually and uploading them.
Bugs aside, sharkive seems really cool as a notion and idea. It's lightweight and doesn't require you much to do in order to set it up.

How do i add cheats manually on Sharkive?
Can you give me a link with an tutorial?

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Thank u for the instruction.
What i mean was how can i creat a cheat file for a game.
i can't find cheats for most of the games i wan't to play.
If you can't find cheats, then you are out of luck. You need the CTRF plugin for NTR for simple cheats since it allows looking up memory addresses and values they contain, making cheats like money/points/stats/etc. a joke to make within just 30 seconds, but for more complicated cheats you need to know your way with memory dumps and it takes a while, so yeah, judging from your questions, you don't seem to know how to process those to look for cheats, so like I said, you are just unlucky now and have to either make do without cheats or keep looking:P

PS: A good place to find cheats is the sticky Gateshark thread since it contains most cheats... Also, the MEGA NTR fork on Github has a lot of the RAW cheats they use for their plugins, so you might find some cheats there, if you can't find the cheats you want in those two places, just get good so you no longer need cheats /s

JulesFV

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So.
After... Well... Months?
It's working.

I don't know how, but it's working.
A few days ago, I picked up again my New 3Ds (It was abandoned in my drawer since when I gave up, after searching here for help).
I tried again installing Luma 9.1.
I ereased all of the various NTRs I was trying.
I installed... I don't even know what specific version of the Boot NTR Selector, I tried it, selected the 3.6... And...
Well, it worked.
Never worked before, now it is working.
My cheats are loading like before.

Thanks to everyone for the help, especially to ThoD for suggesting using the Luma 9.1.

You can close this thread.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr