Hacking BootMii

knowthing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought I would share some of the things I've learned about bootmii so far:

I tried to install this on 3.2E using Homebrew channel 1.01 and it locked up with a blank screen when running the installer elf and wouldn't install.

I renamed the installer as boot.dol in the root directory of my SD card and then used bannerbomb exploit and then it installed perfectly that time! I hope that helps anyone out there with the same issue.

BootMii is most useful if you have an older wii (eg 12 months+ old) and then you can install it using the "boot2" option, which inserts it before the system menu. This means that you can restore a nand backup if you brick your wii, which is something that hasn't previously been possible except using hardware to rewrite the nand chip. This allows for much greater experimentation with the wii.

If you have a newer wii, then its still useful to be able to backup/restore your nand, but you'll only be able to do this if your wii isn't completely bricked. For example if you upgraded in future and then wanted to downgrade again by loading in your nand backup that you made at an earlier point in time.

As far as I know, this installer, in combination with bannerbomb exploit, allows you to install the Homebrew channel, even on a virgin 4.0 wii, but its unlikely to be able to offer the full brick protection, but its still a lot better than attempting a dangerous downgrade of your 4.0 wii. I don't have a 4.0 virgin wii, but as far as I know its supposed to work for this.

Some earlier posters on this thread said you needed an internet connection to use this installer, that isn't correct, its fully offline installation.

When installed with the boot2 option (earlier wii's only), there is a scary delay of a few seconds when you power on your wii as it reads your SD card before bringing up the bootmii menu. Some people reported this takes longer, but it appears to be due to the type of SD card so you can try getting another one and see if its faster if you have this slowness problem. You can avoid this delay almost completely by removing the SD card during power-on or probably by deleting the bootmii folder it creates.

Personally, I'm quite happy to suffer this 5-10 second delay on my wii in exchange for full brick protection. Also the delay doesn't happen every time, it seems only to be during power on rather than during reset, so I'm not too bothered. If its possible for the bootmii team to improve these delays in future versions, then I'm sure its something they will do, but remember this is only their first beta and they are likely to have been cautious with their code rather than trying for blazing speed which might not work on everyone's different SD cards.

I'm very happy to see bootmii finally released and tip my hat to the skillz of everyone involved in bringing it to us. Its not useful for everyone, but for those it is useful for, its incredibly useful and something we've been waiting to see for a long time
smile.gif

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
knowthing, you only have to rename it boot.elf, you don't need to change the extension. And once the code for MINI is released and we start getting native apps well see BootMii, even as an IOS, become very usefull for most, and as boot2 it will lead to a lot of autoboot goodness

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
it will brick when you run a backup loader
-----------
lol jk, i think thats just a joke

madmikeuk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Meannekes said:
have they got it owrking on a F01E boot1?

because the last time they said that it dont will work on a F01E was in february

anyone know if they got fixed it?

I honestly cannot see it happening. Ever.

MrTea

Trophies
XP
Country
Well I can install it ok and from hbc it all works as it should... but if i turn off my wii then reboot all i get is a black screen? ...the only way i can avoid this is if i remove my sd card on boot and then everything is ok??

If i remove the installed files on my sd card then my machine boots fine each time??

TheWon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To people who have tried this. Will installing this effect your Back/Usb Loader? We know the creators are against those apps. So it my be use their BootMii, or stay with your regular setup. Just want to make sure it will not disable my loader.

--=ZerO=--

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ohh, BootMii is great!!!

Just made a backup of my 3.2E Wii...

...then launched Wadmanager and Installed IOS60.Wad and System Menu 4.0.Wad...
...Tested a bit and then returned to 3.2 via the "restore backup" function...
Works like a charm!

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
TheWon said:
To people who have tried this. Will installing this effect your Back/Usb Loader? We know the creators are against those apps. So it my be use their BootMii, or stay with your regular setup. Just want to make sure it will not disable my loader.
This was answered several times...the answer is still no...they stated themself that it's not their job to stop piracy...it's Nintendo's one...

And think: Would be everyone here be happy and say BootMii is awesome if it would delete the cIOS
wink.gif
? here would be thousands of mass-panic Threads if that would be so...
rolleyes.gif

Don Killah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Installed as IOS (no boot2 for me...):
Successfully backuped the nand to a 1GB SDCard (Transcend).

For those wondering how much does it take : 600MB!

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Don Killah said:

WTF? Mine's 528MB...are you shure yours isn't corrupted or something like that? Never heard of such a big backup...well, if it works, then it's good for you...

--=ZerO=--

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
TheWon said:

As far as is known for now there is no effect on "piracy tools" at the moment...
But!
BootMii hasn't a uninstall function at the moment. Could be possible this would
come with a forced update of BootMii later...
wink.gif

So if u choose to install it, make a backup of your NAND first and keep it save...

To the people which note long boot times. Disable Wii Connect 24 andtake the BootMii SD out...
Wii will boot almost as fast as normal.

david432111

Trophies
XP
Country
Blue-K said:
Don Killah said:

WTF? Mine's 528MB...are you shure yours isn't corrupted or something like that? Never heard of such a big backup...well, if it works, then it's good for you...
It probably depends on how much it's filled. His is probably filled to the brim with saves, channels, wiiware etc.

thebobinc

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
robiul said:
Blue-K said:
Trolly said:
lso, I'd like to confirm that HBC 1.0.2 allows Apps to be read off any USB devices connected with an APPS folder in the root (Y), which is quite useful.
First: Team Twiizers lurve Thursdays (JK)
tongue.gif
. Well, good it's out, probably going to install it when I'm at home...

Now, I would love to go a little further about USB and HBC 1.0.2...I know this is BootMii, but somehow they're connected, and a new Topic would be stupid...

1) Can apps, that run from USB still acess the FAT32-Partition (Like DMP)?
2) What about apps that need a folder in the root (Super Mario War)?
3) Any compability Issues?

I'm guessing that Apps that searches for files on the root would need a recompile to support USB...the rest should work without any problems...anyone can confirm? Thanks in Advance
smile.gif

About the usb support OMG I asked for this, the other day I messaged bushing to enable usb device for homebrew, personally messaged him on wiibrew the other day as well as making a thread on there saying that bushing should update to usb support.

i confirme that allready couple page ago, the homebrew channel 1.02 is able to read you fat32 partition, dont matter wath letter it is,

for your app you are wright it only need to be recompile to the usb root , if you can do that , or if anyone know how ..... please let me know
rolleyes.gif

the best is to dump your sd card direct to your fat32 partition on your hard drive, yes it does request to be in apps/ect/ect

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
david432111 said:
Blue-K said:
Don Killah said:

It probably depends on how much it's filled. His is probably filled to the brim with saves, channels, wiiware etc.

My nand backup is 528MB too. I think it's a fixed size.

david432111

Trophies
XP
Country
kedest said:
david432111 said:
Blue-K said:
Don Killah said:

My nand backup is 528MB too. I think it's a fixed size.
Makes sense. Maybe kedest just rounded it up to 600 mb?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Xdqwerty :creep: +1