Hacking Bootmii verify failed/failure

Downloaderz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Im currently softmodding a new wii, but during the bootmii backup, after a few bad blocks, it goes into the verification stage. During verification, I got errors for two blocks:

Verify failed for block xxx
verify failure for block xxx
Verify failed for block yyy
verify failure for block yyy
verify failed for 2 blocks.

How do i get rid of these errors? Is it safe to go on?

Downloaderz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Im using the latest modmii (bootmii beta6). I've tried reformating the SD card, reinstalling bootmii, redumping the nand file, but im still getting verification failure on those two blocks.

During the backup, i get uncorrectable pages/factory bad block which I suppose are fine?

Edit: Tried with another SD card, no luck. I dont know what else to do. I do have the nand backup on the sd card.

there are a total of five bad blocks (no idea what uncorrectable pages are?). two bad blocks failed verification. is this unusual?

did a system reformat as well..

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very. Id go to the bootmii site and check there for more help. this is not normal. the uncorrectable pages and bad blocks are fine the verify shouldn't fail because of that. Go to bootmii.org and check around there for more info.

In fact here is a help forrum dedicated to bootmii it's self on the Wiibrew forums. try there hey.
http://forum.wiibrew.org/list.php?25

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like there may be a hardware ram issue. I have only seen this problem one other time in my life. Does the wii otherwise operate normally or does it give errors and fail often?

I could not properly determine the issue that I had with the wii that was giving me similar symptoms, and I doubt it was a software issue. It is either ram or screwed up NAND chip. thats my best guess.

Downloaderz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have no idea as i just got it and went straight to hacking it. But so far the wii seems fine playing lego batman. So im screwed then?

neotank19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get priiloader for some brick protection. Unless you had a wii that was able to have bootmii @ boot 2 then it really don't matter anyways.

Downloaderz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
neotank19 said:
Get priiloader for some brick protection. Unless you had a wii that was able to have bootmii @ boot 2 then it really don't matter anyways.

Anyone can comment on this? Im just worried seeing that there seems to be a hardware problem, something might arise later where i need to use the warranty.

Edit: Think I might just return this for an exchange.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before you do be absolutely sure to remove the HBC/Bootmii installs and anything els you may have installed and don't leave your SD card in the wii either. This does indeed sound to me like a hardware problem. I had a wii that has a few uncorrectable pages and have never once had any issue with a NAND backup verify so I can safely say that a fail is not normal. I have another that has only two bad blocks and no uncorrectable pages too but thats not the point.

Id just return it as a wii that cant have a backup made is a brick waiting to happen.

Downloaderz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hells Guardian said:
Before you do be absolutely sure to remove the HBC/Bootmii installs and anything els you may have installed and don't leave your SD card in the wii either. This does indeed sound to me like a hardware problem. I had a wii that has a few uncorrectable pages and have never once had any issue with a NAND backup verify so I can safely say that a fail is not normal. I have another that has only two bad blocks and no uncorrectable pages too but thats not the point.

Id just return it as a wii that cant have a backup made is a brick waiting to happen.

Basically all I need to do is uninstall HBC/Bootmii through HackMii right? Although I did format the system memory earlier which removed most of the preinstalled channels
unsure.gif

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Formatting matters not. thats a standard feature of the menu. If HBC and bootmii is all you've installed that should do it yeah.

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i had this same problem....i even address the Temp community concerning it.... here's the thread.

....i can say that the NAND verification fail aside, the mod completed without issue and it is still chugging along just fine today....

that wii was an LU70....modded mid-january....pretty much has the same configuration as my sig except bootmii/IOS of course, 249v17, 250v21[57], no DarkCORP....also, i downgraded the SM from 4.3 to 4.2 as it seemed to run a bit faster (though i think that was all in my head)

i have NAND backups for that wii post bootmii install and post mod completion...i tried different cards, using different format tools for the cards, different bootmii file sets...all gave me the same error during verification.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that's true but I enjoy being able to mess with stuff I really shouldn't and not having to worry about a brick. the question is will an install of a nand.bin succeed or will it brick the system?

troy512

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all verify does is check the backup to the real nand. so a verify failure would indicate a problem with the sd card not your nand.

is the verify failed for block xxx, the same blocks on both sd cards?

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
troy512 said:
all verify does is check the backup to the real nand. so a verify failure would indicate a problem with the sd card not your nand.

is the verify failed for block xxx, the same blocks on both sd cards?
there is more to it than that...there has to be.... in my situation, i tried three different cards (two of which i have used successfully on other wii bootmii backups) ....verification failures occured on the same blocks on all cards....

unfortunately that wii is 150 miles away; i'd like to try what Hells Guardian suggested (in my thread) about extracting it and trying launching it as a SNEEK NAND.... OP, is that something you could try (assuming you haven't returned it yet)?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can run nandBinchecker on the nand.bin you got and see what it says.
http://gbatemp.net/t279742-nandbincheck

it should tell you if anything is wrong. however, even if your nand.bin comes out flawless, you still might get some odd behavior whenever you try to write it back to the wii using bootmii. what i would suggest is ( assuming your nand.bin is valid in the first place ) to find those blocks which bootmii fails to verify and mark them bad in the nand.bin yourself. just move whatever files are on them to a different block. this way whenever you need to write this nand back to your wii, it will skip those blocks.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Fishaman P said:
I had never made a NAND backup until I was completely done softmodding.
I didn't see the need as I couldn't install Bootmii as Boot2.
seriously? I hope now that you've gained some experience u see the error of your ways.

Honestly, making a nand dump is even more important when u can only install bootmii as IOS, and I'll tell u why.

If u brick you're wii and u don't have a nand dump:
1) w\ bootmii installed at boot2: You'll be able to launch bootmii and then launch homebrew apps to undo whatever u did to brick. This doesn't require a nand backup, but having one is still useful because sometimes u can't always figure out what went wrong.
2) w\ bootmii installed only as IOS: You're screwed with absolutely no way to recover

If you have a nand backup, bootmii installed as IOS and not @ boot2, and priiloader, u will be able to recover (without the use of any hardware) from all types of bricks except ones that stub\delete\corrupt your system menu or system menu IOS. So basically, pretty damn good protection all things considered.

If you have a nand backup and no other protection whatsoever and u brick, you will be able to recover using an infectus (or by paying DeadlyFoez to do it for you).

Seriously, a nand backup is probably the easiest and most important part of the softmod process! I'm glad u made one eventually, better late than never... but if u lost power when installing a system menu or system menu IOS or priiloader BEFORE having a nand backup, your wii would be a paperweight right now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water