Sisko125

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi all!!

Ok I'm new to this Wii hacking stuff and up to now what I have installed or done was Homebrew, d2x-cIOS-Installer + USB Loader GX. For now everything is working BUT I'm still afraid of "bricking" my Wii that is why I haven't gone any further with mods (for now). One told me to do a backup of my NAND and one told me to install priiloader. Ok I've checked Priiloader page and it says; It is highly recommended to install Priiloader only on a Wii with only unmodified IOSs! Well mine IS modified with d2x-cIOS so what can I do now? I didn't do the Bootmii yet because of this little prob. So any suggestions? Can I undo d2x-cIOS mod so that I can install priiloader? Any help is welcomed!!

Sisko

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

Welcome to the Wii Forums.

Hi all!!

Ok I'm new to this Wii hacking stuff and up to now what I have installed or done was Homebrew, d2x-cIOS-Installer + USB Loader GX. For now everything is working BUT I'm still afraid of "bricking" my Wii that is why I haven't gone any further with mods (for now). One told me to do a backup of my NAND and one told me to install priiloader. Ok I've checked Priiloader page and it says; It is highly recommended to install Priiloader only on a Wii with only unmodified IOSs! Well mine IS modified with d2x-cIOS so what can I do now? I didn't do the Bootmii yet because of this little prob. So any suggestions? Can I undo d2x-cIOS mod so that I can install priiloader? Any help is welcomed!!

Sisko

If you mean this Page,the Official from the Developer @DacoTaco by the Way:
https://github.com/dacotaco/priiloader

I did not find a Sign to not install Priiloader on a modded Wii System.:)

Yes please,ALWAYS install Priiloader aside with BootMii on a modded Wii please.:)
Please do not follow Guides that are maybe outdated or only tells the "Half of the Truth" please.

It was a very good Idea,to ask on GBAtemp,here are many,many experienced Users with Knowledge for the Wii.

And please,do nothing to your already modded cIOS Setup.:)
If you followed this Guide.

Thank you.:)

Reactions: jeannotte

Sisko125

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

If you mean this Page,the Official from the Developer @DacoTaco by the Way

Well for now I can't share that link because I'm a new member. The place was at wiibrew that I saw the message not to install if Ios is moded. Wait here's a pic of that website.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.03.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.03.25 PM.png
    190.4 KB · Views: 247

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Well for now I can't share that link because I'm a new member. The place was at wiibrew that I saw the message not to install if Ios is moded. Wait here's a pic of that website.
Thank you for sharing the Source.:)

I think,it is more meant,before you install some cIOS you should install Priiloader.
And for a very good Reason.Many Users did not follow "good" Guides and prefer instead outdated and incomplete Youtube Video Wii modding Guides where half of the Steps are missing - the Result is in many.many Cases a Brick/Black Screen.
So your Page gives Users this "self protecting" Advice.And this is good.:)

Of course,you can remove your already installed cIOSes and install then Priiloader.

But please Note,what do you do if something goes wrong on this De-Installation Step ? If you do not have a NAND Backup made before you have done the Wii Modding and no BootMii installed as boot2,then you maybe need the Priiloader....:(

So you see,if you are a very careful User,every Step is maybe combined with a potentially "dangerous" Action on Wii Modding.
If you maybe see it from that View,on your previous done cIOS Installation,an Issue has also could have been possible,theoretically.

But please,be not afraid,Wii Modding is very,very safe today,if you carefully read the Guide(s).:)

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
It's likely the warning stems from the days when Trucha patching was normal, I'd be surprised if it is an issue so long as you only have CIOS installed on a 'high number' slot.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Sisko125

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok this is the video that I have watched to do all of my mods up to now and like I said everything IS working. So can I still do a backup of my NAND with a moded IOS or should I revert the moded IOS to the untouched state, do a backup, install prilloader and the rest? So I can just reloock at the vid that explains the d2x-cIOS mod part do the opposite and save it, right? Like I said I'm new at this moding. ;-)

Thanks for any help!!

BTW here's the vid that I have done my mods;

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

If all works fine,a NAND Backup should be a good Idea.
If something "fails" there is an "Solution" to get an "Stock Wii" with this NAND Backup.

If you want,yes you can "revert" all Things,but please note,that this is not really possible with "common" Solutions.
There is not really an Guide to get your Wii back to Zero for Newcomers.

This Soluton is named "Ohneschanzenegger" and needs really Knowledge and many Reading.
And please,it is absolute NO NEWCOMER Tool/Solution.:)

That is why Youtube Video Guides are :shit: and never recommended for modding.
Where is the "please make a NAND Backup BEFORE you do the cIOS Installation" Step please ? :sad:

It is your Wii,you are free to do anything you like.:)

Last edited by Alexander1970,

Sisko125

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

If all works fine,a NAND Backup should be a good Idea.
If something "fails" there is an "Solution" to get an "Stock Wii" with this NAND Backup.

It is your Wii,you are free to do anything you like.:)

Ok so I could just copy an unmodified wii's NAND and copy it back to my wii with the same vers. # like I have 4.3u and my GF wii has the same vers # as me BUT we do not have the same wii color, mine black and GF is red.

Yes I know that I can do what I want with it I just don't want to "brick" it.

Thanks!

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

Ok so I could just copy an unmodified wii's NAND and copy it back to my wii with the same vers. # like I have 4.3u and my GF wii has the same vers # as me BUT we do not have the same wii color, mine black and GF is red.

Yes I know that I can do what I want with it I just don't want to "brick" it.

Thanks!

You can not use a NAND Backup from an other Wii.You have to use yours from your Wii.:)

Also the Tool "Ohneschanzenegger" needs some Informations from the original NAND:
It needs to have a copy of the first 8 blocks of the Nand,a list of bad blocks,and AES & hmac keys.
https://wiibrew.org/wiki/Ohneschwanzenegger

There is a Solution now for the vWii on the Wii U from @GaryOderNichts but I do not know about such Tool for the Wii.:)

So to get sure,you understand it correct:

- A NAND Backup only works on the Wii from where it created.
- You can not use simply one NAND Backup on an other Wii.
(the only Way I know is to change/re-flash the NAND Chip,that means you need READ/WRITE Access to the Chip).

Your Wii is modded,that means clearly
Your Wii is modified.

The NAND Backup Step had to be done FIRST,before doing any other Modifications,like in every good Tutorial mentioned.:)
So please do not try to "tinker around" with different NAND Backups.
THAT WILL BRICK YOUR WII FOR SURE !!!

You can install Priiloader at anytime now.It would not hurt your Wii.
(Maybe possible Issue,that maybe can happen in the worst Case - A Power shortage/failure,really not more).

Please make a NAND Backup from now.It is really ok.:)
Then you can try to "delete/get rid of the cIOSes" anytime,if you want.
If something goes wrong,you can go back with BootMii and this NAND Backup please.

Only if you know what you are doing and not really recommended to new Wii Modding Users:

And if you like,please make yourself familiar with "Ohneschwanzenegger" to get a clean Wii again.WARNING !! Clean means clean,with NOTHING on it.No downloaded Content,No Channels like the Internet and this Kind.Really clean.:)

Sisko125

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi all! Ok decided to do a backup of my NAND file. So opened hackmii istaller and I get this screen; what's next to do?

Attachments

• IMG_0607.JPG
    IMG_0607.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 457

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hi all! Ok decided to do a backup of my NAND file. So opened hackmii istaller and I get this screen; what's next to do?

That means your BootMii can only installed as IOS.It is ok and works also for you.
This happens because your Wii is an newer Revision.It is not a bad Thing.:)

The Difference:

Installed as boot2 - installs BootMii into 2 blank Blocks in the boot2 from your Wii.
It will "takes over" the normal boot2 Function.Works not on all Wii Revisions.
It boots automatically (it can be configured with the Tool "BootMiiConfig Editor").
This is the "best" Brick Protection for your Wii.:)

Installed as IOS - installs BootMii into your NAND Filesystem as an IOS.As you know,an IOS can be overwritten.(By an System Update for Example).
It has to boot via the Homebrew Channel (by pressing "HOME" on your Wii Motion Controller).
But this works on every Wii.:)
This is not really a "good" Brick Protection.
In this Case,installing the Priioader is not a bad Idea.:)

If the Priiloader is installed,BootMii as IOS maybe protect against Banner and Semibricks.
Priiloader can be used to Access the BootMii Menu.

For the IOS Installation Version,I am not 100 Percent sure,but you maybe need an normal SD Card,not SDHC/SDXC,for making the NAND Backup - 2 GB is good and enough for the needed Backup Space.
EDIT: Not the Size but the Brand is maybe important.

Last edited by Alexander1970,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill