bootmii,preloader and gecko OS

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Psisous, Jul 3, 2009.

Jul 3, 2009

bootmii,preloader and gecko OS by Psisous at 10:58 PM (1,109 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Psisous
    OP

Newcomer Psisous Newbie

Canada
    I just got HBC on to my 4.0J Wii. i want to get something to save me from bricks and i've heard that you can use Preloader and Bootmii. Which one do you people recommend? which one is easier to install? which one is safer? which one works better in your opinion?

I also want to get Gecko OS on my Wii but i don't know if it will work on 4.0J. Can anyone confirm which version of Gecko will work?
    Thanks in Advance

2. 2yugimoto

Member 2yugimoto GBAtemp Fan

United States
    ok ok.... your blowing this way out of praportion....

bootmii and preloader are very easy to install,
    they both work at the same time
    and geco os will work on any wii firmware....

those are really noob questions but i felt more like helping then flaming

3. Psisous
    OP

Newcomer Psisous Newbie

Canada
    thanks for the info and for not flaming me. I'm pretty new at this stuff and don't want to break my Wii.

4. 2yugimoto

Member 2yugimoto GBAtemp Fan

United States
    no problem

5. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Bootmii and Preloader are 2 different things, but they share the functionality of brick protection, although not on the same level. Bootmii offers the best fail-proof protection.

There are 2 ways to install bootmii: as boot2 or as an cios.Boot2 is the best, but the newest wii's are not compatible with this. When installed as boot2, it will give you full brick protection. Immediately after turning on your Wii, Bootmii will kick in. If you mess up your system, you can restore a (previously created) backup of the entire system memory. Or, if it's just a banner brick for example, you can use bootmii to boot directly into the homebrew channel (hbc), to run Wad Manager to remove the wad file that caused the bricking.

Preloader can do the same boot-directly-to-hbc trick. And it can apply some cool system menu patching, such as removing the health screen, disabling the annoying background 'music', making channels regionfree. Preloader will also boot when starting the wii, but it's later in the booting process than bootmii, so the level of protection is lower.

And you can combine them, to have best of both worlds. That's my system setup too.

6. Golfman560

Member Golfman560 TheRapist.com

Antarctica
    You probably won't be able to get Bootmii, if its a newer Wii it probably has the bug fixed, so Bootmii as boot2 is impossible (Right now and possibly forever), however installing it as an IOS will left you do NAND dumps which are great of you break something that you can fix, but if you can't install them they are worthless. Bootmii is impossible to remove from boot2 unless Nintendo starts issueing boot2 update with firmware updates. As an IOS its extremely easy to destroy.

Preloader can be used at the same time as Bootmii, but it's not as great at combatting firmware updates. If you updated or downgrade your system menu Preloader is gone and if you brick your screwed, however Preloader is easily reinstalled. It can block system updates from discs so that the firmware isn't upgraded, but if someone does a manual install from the Wii Settings then its gone. If you can't get Bootmii as boot2, you'll want Preloader. You should have both but Preloader isn't that needed if you have Bootmii as boot2 since you can just use NAND backups.

Then GeckoOS will should work on any Wii, 1.9 is the newest version of GeckoOS.

7. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Also note that all Wii's can't install bootmii to boot2. It needs to be older than mid 2008 or so before they started having boot2v4 on the wii's. If you can only install bootmii as an IOS it won't give you any brick protection alone and you would NEED preloader. But if you get bootmii installed as boot2 and make a NAND backup of your Wii with it you are already 100% brick proof.

I would say bootmii is a bit safer than preloader as the hackmii installer is quite thorough in its validity checking to see whether it can actually install on your Wii or not and it will clearly tell you if you can't.

Preloader installs later in the boot process and basically just replaces the system menu and moves it somewhere else.

Edit: Beaten because of retarded modem design of people thinking it was a good idea to have an easily pressed "off" button on the front of an internet modem.

8. Psisous
    OP

Newcomer Psisous Newbie

Canada
    by newer Wii do you people mean when i bought it? i bought it a few years back (about a year after it was released). Can i still use boot2 to install bootmii?

nvm i didn't see the above post when i was posting this.

9. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    It has to do with the date of purchase. With a year-after-launch Wii, you should be able to install Bootmii as boot2. The installer will detect this, so you can't mess anything up