Hacking Bootmii - Backup Nand

Base

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So, the backup thing has run for 30 mins+ and has not changed since when I first pressed start. All the blocks are greyed out and except the first one which is white.

Also it says :
f_1seek failed: 2
f_1seek(0) failed: 2
Backup failed: -1

1) How long should it normally take?
2) Does the above mean that it didn't work?
3) Is it safe to turn the Wii off?

576ZR673tf

Seems like it didn't work. The beta 1 was longer but you could see the progress block by block.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Beta 2 version of bootmii right? That seems like it most likely didn't work. It should all be done and double checked within like 5 minutes. How much space do you have on the SD card? It needs at least like 540 MB or so so it needs to be at least a 1 GB card.

And if it already says it failed, pressing any buttons on the gc remote doesn't get you out if it?

Base

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Its an empty 2gb SD card, with the Bootmii thing in it. And pressing buttons on the GC controller didn't do anything.

Should I turn off the Wii? and What should I do/use to do the backup?

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
in both versions, you should see progress as it first backs up the nand and then verifies the back-up. black blocks are bad (but not uncommon). according to readme file, up to 60 bad blocks may be present in your wii's memory. gray are unused, and green are the ones that actually have data which is what is backed up (in the 0.2 version, which is why its faster).

I would try reformatting your sd card first (use a fresh one if possible) of at least 1GB in size (as was mentioned previously). you may receive a warning message that the sd card is not formatted correctly. just press A to continue and it should start the back-up process.

Base

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So after turning off the Wii. I found out that it had corrupted the SD card. Now I reformatted the SD card and tried again and same thing happened.

Should I just try a different SD card?

Base

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nevermind. All I had to do was change SD card. Works fine now. Thanks for the help.

Also yeah it was a boot2 installation.

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I believe that bootmii does erase the card. maybe the files that it wrote onto your first sd card were causing the issue. I know when I performed my back-up, I automatically grabbed a 2nd sd card because I wanted to keep the nand back-up separate from the rest of my files.

glad to hear that you got it sorted.
happy.gif

Loron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
Quick question :

I have two wiis. If i backup the nand of one of them and brick the other one, can i still restore the nand from the first one onto the second one? Or are the nand backups not compatible? Thanks

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Loron said:
Quick question :

I have two wiis. If i backup the nand of one of them and brick the other one, can i still restore the nand from the first one onto the second one? Or are the nand backups not compatible? Thanks

No, you can't. The Wii's have different keys. If you can install bootmii to boot2 on the one that could possibly have gotten bricked, you should make a NAND backup of that one regardless.

Loron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
Ok thanks
wink.gif
btw where is the nand.bin saved after the NAND backup? I can't find it on my SD card even when showing hidden files.. it's weird

Loron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
It's not there.. Just read on another threat that i should try creating a random nand.bin file and then overwrite it with the NAND backup, then it would show with the actual size... weird bug

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
nabster92 said:
Loron said:
Quick question :

No, you can't. The Wii's have different keys. If you can install bootmii to boot2 on the one that could possibly have gotten bricked, you should make a NAND backup of that one regardless.

Well.. it's possible when you have you're keys and contact Bushing, he'll fix you're NAND backup so you can use it on the other Wii. For 10 euro's I believe.

xanadunl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Loron said:
It's not there.. Just read on another threat that i should try creating a random nand.bin file and then overwrite it with the NAND backup, then it would show with the actual size... weird bug

This worked for me.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)