BootMii 0.3 causing black screen at startup?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by jservs7, Sep 14, 2009.

Sep 14, 2009
  1. jservs7
    OP

Member jservs7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Puerto Rico
    Im on system menu 4.1 with Preloader 0.29 installed. Ever since I installed BootMii 0.3 (Installed as boot2 and as IOS), a lot of times when I power up my Wii, I get a black screen. I have to power off my Wii manually and try to turn it on again and sometimes it will turn on or I will get the black screen again. Usually if I do get the black screen error, the most it will happen is 4 times in a row.

Is there anything possibly in my Preloader settings that can be causing this to happen or is it a BootMii bug? Again, this never happened to me before I installed BootMii.

2. Yyhhggtt

Member Yyhhggtt GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Is the SD Card put into the Wii correctly? Try reinstalling bootmii and resetup the SD card, try formating the SD card, etc.

3. jservs7
    OP

Puerto Rico
    Yes the SD card was put in. I tried reformatting and reinstalling BootMii but its still the same problem. Yesterday it happened 8-9 times in a row and the only way I was able to get into my system menu was to use Preloader.

I was wondering if it has something to do with just powering the Wii up when using the power button on the console and/or my video cable setup since I am using an S-Video cable through a port replicator. But again, I tried my Wii again without BootMii and it booted up 30x in a row with no problems.

I wonder if the new BootMii from 0.4 Test 1 will work better for me. I hate using anything that is pre-beta.

4. metroid4life14

Member metroid4life14 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    did you try booting your wii without the sd card or with the sd card but w/o the files?

5. jservs7
    OP

Puerto Rico
    Actually I have tried that a few times in a row and its been booting just fine. [​IMG] Could it be because of my specific SD card or because of the BootMii files on it?

6. metroid4life14

United States
    Bootmii has really bad sd card compatibility (not to mention how glitchy .3 is...). It's very possible. I wouldn't worry too much about it, or if you are, try a couple other sd cards.

7. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Also it could be your video mode, see if it works fine with regular composite cables instead of your S-Video connection. The bootmii.ini file has one of the 3 options of configurations dealing with video modes so maybe you also could try editing that to be for progressive or something.

8. metroid4life14

United States
    also, when booting your wii w/o a sd card in the sd slot, you should see 3 flashes of blue light. If you do, bootmii has been properly installed.

9. lajd

Member lajd GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i get the same thing too with an sdhc card on boot. sometimes bootmii reads it fine but 9 in 10 times it chokes. doesn't happen on a non sdhc card

10. metroid4life14

United States
    yeah, bootmii isn't compatible with HC cards.