1. TheGrayShow1467

United States
    My ultimate end goal is to hopefully make either a launcher.dat or boot.bin that runs ctrsrv regardless of if a button is pressed/held. Hell, if it works, I'll try to make a mini GUI where you can select whether or not you want to load ctrsrv mode. But it's probably going to be a very, very long time before I can get that...

Margen67 and SaagiBols like this.
  2. WulfyStylez

WulfyStylez SALT/Bemani Princess

United States
    That's a really simple patch. Just tweak this branch in their arm9 code: http://puu.sh/gSuvw/8fef58a61c.png

Margen67 and TheGrayShow1467 like this.
  3. TheGrayShow1467

United States
    Damn son... How do you do that??? Do I use the full, or can I use the Freeware version? I am EXTREMELY sorry for being such a noob to this.

Margen67 likes this.
  4. WulfyStylez

WulfyStylez SALT/Bemani Princess

United States
    IDA is generally a tool for analyzing (and sometimes debugging) binaries. You'll need separate knowledge of how patching works to go beyond just seeing how things work. I'd link one, but I can't for the life of me think of any handy resources for that sort of thing. It's often the same process as cracking software, though.

Margen67 and TheGrayShow1467 like this.
  5. nop90

nop90 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Italy
    The parts with the firm patches and the arm11 hach are not correctly decompliled. There is a lot of work to do on this file.

Before starting to learn Reverse Engineering you should have good programming skills and a knowledge of ASM. To be very good at debugging is a big help, you cold ask to some frinds of yous to study som c code with strange bugs and try to find where they are (boring? .. yes it is, but RE is worst.)

My testbook for starting RE many yeasr ago was the +ORC tutorials "How to crack". Tools used are no longer available (winice was my first love) so you can't test many of the thing explained, but it's a good starting point if you don't know someone that can train you directly.Don't know if there ara more recent tutorials so well explained, maybe some younger dev can give you a hint.

But don't expect RE is an easy matter.

I'm close to the solution, but my progress on boot.bin are very slow, I can't loose too many hours of sleep if I don't want to be a zomby at work. At the moment I know what's not working and found that someone else studied and solved the same problem (look here or here). I'm porting this solution to the boot.bin, but I cant only make a copy and paste, mostly because xerpi to lauch the linux image needs only a CPU interrupt hooked, but for booting the firmware you need to make jump both CPU to the FIRM boot entrypoint at the same moment.

Attahed you can find a cleaned version of boot.bit. It isn't so much better, just removed not useful code to speed up the arm11 hack and should make a little more probable that the arm11 interrupt is hooked before the CPU hangs. Really, it's not the solution.

Attached Files:

bannana2, dela and Margen67 like this.
  6. williamcesar2

williamcesar2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    why don't you use the bootstrap ? To fix boot.bin sounds like an impossible task

Margen67 likes this.
  7. nop90

Italy
    Because I like challenges and learning. I started something and I don't want to quit as long as i think I can do it.

I don't think it's impossible. Maybe it's not worth to spend all this time on something that is already enough usable, but I don't work for profit.

8. johovahs

johovahs Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I am curious to know if you are still testing out the modified files you did to boot it more successfully? I know the last I heard in this thread was your son was not too successful on his console.

9. nop90

Italy
    I attached it 4 post before. try it yourself. IMHO only a little improvement.

Margen67 likes this.
  10. Koryushin

Koryushin GBAtemp Regular

France
    Hi, I tried your modified boot.bin on a Classe 6 samsung SDXC 32Go on my 3DS XL (EUR), and i didn't notice some improvement.
    I noticed 3 differents states:
    - Both screen black many times, and had to turn off the 3DS.
    - Green Upper screen and no flash on bottom screen, had to power off the 3DS.
    - And finally green upper screen, flash on bottom screen, and boot to CFW.

First state happend 3/5 times. Second state happend 1/5 time and third state 1/5 time.
    I did a lot of try to have a good point of view.

Hope that'll help.

PS: sorry for my bad english

11. nop90

Italy
    Probably not enough, as I already said.

But it can be of some use for the aspirant reverser: search the differences from the original to know where is the buggy part ;)

12. nop90

Italy
    -deleted-

13. bannana2

bannana2 GBAtemp Regular

United States

14. bannana2

bannana2 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Its frustrating when you know the solution and can see all the pieces to the puzzle but can't put it together. You have Superior knowledge on this matter, but I believe I can help you, but don't know how to communicate it with you.

Margen67 likes this.
  15. williamcesar2

williamcesar2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

PM!

Margen67 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - successfully, Booting,