Hacking BOOT2-64-v2.wad in Disc Updates

thesund0g

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Does anybody know why some games' update partitions contain a BOOT2 wad? Is it involved in some means of updating the actual BOOT2, is it for some kind of "Shadow ROM" type thing, or is it something else entirely? Sorry if my understanding of this is unclear.
unsure.gif

ginaldi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
zektor said:
Maybe it's there for Nintendo to eventually overwrite your bootmii boot2 install!

BOOT2-64-v2.wad appears on games that were released before bootmii, so I doubt bootmii is the reason this exists.
(See WiiFit, Zelda TP etc).

I could be wrong, but I think bootmii identifies itself as a really high version of BOOT2, so there shouldn't be a risk of loosing bootmii through a disk update (if you don't install the wad).

However, I think us unfortunate souls with the the newer boot1 (v4?) are at risk of getting boot2v4 via a yet to be released disk ??

SanGor

Witchhunter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
BootMii does not increase the Boot2 version.
Update discs contain a config file in which the boot2.wad is set as "not needed" so the Wii won't install it.
The wii wll also never allow a lower version to be installed.

thesund0g

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
pm_41 said:
zektor said:
Maybe it's there for Nintendo to eventually overwrite your bootmii boot2 install!
It might also give enough NAND permissions to overwrite boot2, no matter what the version is. (Maybe Team Twiizers can reverse-engineer it...
wink.gif
)

I LOL'd at your sig, I almost thought it was serious.

carbonyle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
thesund0g said:
Does anybody know why some games' update partitions contain a BOOT2 wad? Is it involved in some means of updating the actual BOOT2, is it for some kind of "Shadow ROM" type thing, or is it something else entirely? Sorry if my understanding of this is unclear.
unsure.gif
I don't think it's some games but ALL games!
This is not for update I think

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
BootMii is based on boot2v3, so I would assume it carries the same version number. (I could be wrong, though; I can't install it as boot2.
frown.gif
)

Bushing has mentioned that apparently no Wii left Nintendo's warehouses with boot2v1. I assume boot2v2 on game update partitions was meant to to update any potential boot2v1 Wiis out there, but later removed when Nintendo noticed there were none.

It's a bit like why Wii Sports and Twilight Princess came with IOS9. It's preinstalled on every Wii, so what would be the point of including it?

Knowing about this WAD made me wonder... Would it be possible to downgrade boot2v4 with a cIOS and WAD Manager? I do not recommend touching boot2 except for BootMii installation.

ginaldi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dialexio said:
Knowing about this WAD made me wonder... Would it be possible to downgrade boot2v4 with a cIOS and WAD Manager? I do not recommend touching boot2 except for BootMii installation.
I was wondering the same thing, but I guess it's not possible :
QUOTE(SanGor @ Aug 11 2009, 09:08 AM) The wii will also never allow a lower version to be installed.

On the other hand I guess a hypothetical 'required' Boot2v4 on a future game disk could remove BootMii as Boot2
and/or mean that even older Wii's would have to look out for the LU64-type gotchas.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think any game would "require" an updated boot2 since boot2 isn't touched once the system menu and games are loaded. They couldn't care less about what's going on at boot.

And if it were as easy as installing an older boot2 to downgrade it, it would have been done a long time ago. Only try it if you want to risk getting a brick that overwrote BootMii and leaving you stuck.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, atleast there was some neat filler there