Boot DS games using YSMenu?

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by Ryukouki, Dec 13, 2008.

Dec 13, 2008

Boot DS games using YSMenu? by Ryukouki at 11:24 PM (2,192 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. Ryukouki
    OP

Member Ryukouki See you later, guys.

United States
    :Is there a way to boot NDS games on YSMenu using a DSTT? I ordered one and i wanna know if that's possible. i tried searchin, nothing works.

2. rom666

Newcomer rom666 Advanced Member

United States
    Yes it is possible. I use it on one of my DSTT's.

3. Ryukouki
    OP

United States
    how do i do that?

4. juntok_abot

Member juntok_abot GBAtemp Regular

Indonesia
  5. Ryukouki
    OP

United States
    i got that stuff, how can i run nds files from the menu itself?

Posts merged

here, lemme be specific: can i run commercial games using ysmenu? i have the stuff i dunno what to do from here, i got the ttdldi and all taht

6. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I'm not sure I understand your question. If you've installed YSMenu correctly, you highlight the game and press "A" to run it.

-Bri

7. Ryukouki
    OP

United States
    do i need dldi patches or anything to run them? what i got on my root:

ttpatch
    ttdldi
    TTMENU.DAT (YSMenu)
    YSMenu.ini
    TTMENu Folder
    Eng (firmware folder?)

8. rom666

United States
    Where do you have your rom's? Does the card boot up to YSMenu?

9. Ryukouki
    OP

United States
    uhhhh my games are in a folder on a root and it boots to ysmenu.

Sorry for my issues, im new with YSMenu and my cousin hates using DSTT Menu, says its clunky and crap.

10. Bri

United States
    Your microSD card is a mess. You have two different firmwares on there and neither are installed correctly. It is possible to have both installed though. I recommend that you wipe your microSD card clean (make a backup first) then follow these directions carefully:

To install TTMenu and YSMenu for DSTT:[*]Make sure you have the newest version of YSMenu and the official TTMenu firmware.[*]Unzip the TTMenu archive. Place the "TTMENU" folder onto your microSD card.[*]Unzip the YSMenu archive.[*]Create a folder named "YSMenu" on your microSD card.[*]Place a copy of "TTMENU.DAT" from the official menu into the same folder as the "ttextract.exe" program on your PC. Run "ttextract.exe" on your PC. Place the two resulting files ("ttdldi.dat" and "ttpatch.dat") into the "YSMenu" folder on your microSD card.[*](a) If you want YSMenu to be your default menu, rename "TTMENU.DAT" from the official menu to "TTMenu.nds" and place it onto the root (top level) of your microSD card. Then place a copy of "YSMenu.nds" onto the root of your microSD card. Then make a copy of "YSMenu.nds" named "TTMENU.DAT" on the root of your microSD card. You should now have "TTMenu.nds", "YSMenu.nds", and "TTMENU.DAT" (a copy of "YSMenu.nds") on the root of your microSD card.
    (b) If you want TTMenu to be the default menu, place a copy of TTMENU.DAT from the official menu onto the root (top level) of your microSD card. Then place a copy of "YSMenu.nds" onto the root of your microSD card. Then make a copy of "TTMENU.DAT" named "TTMenu.nds" on the root of your card. You should now have "TTMENU.DAT", "YSMenu.nds", and "TTMenu.nds" (a copy of "TTMENU.DAT") on the root of your microSD card.[*]Optional: place the skin files "YSMenu1.bmp" and "YSMenu2.bmp" (these don't come with YSMenu) into the "YSMenu" folder.[*]Edit "YSMenu.ini". Place a semi-colon in front of the line that says "LITERALS=LITERALS_JPN". Remove the semi-colon from the line that says "LITERALS=LITERALS_ENG". Save your changes to "YSMenu.ini" and place it into the "YSMenu" folder on your microSD card.[*]Make a new folder named "games" and put a few .nds files in it. Always use the "safely remove hardware" utility before removing your microSD card from your PC. Place the DSTT into the NDS, place the microSD card into the DSTT, and turn on the NDS.That should be it. If you are using TTMenu as your default, simply run "YSMenu.nds" to get to YSMenu. Otherwise, it should launch directly into YSMenu and you can run "TTMenu.nds" to get back to TTMenu.

When you're done, you should have the following files and folders on your microSD card:

YSMenu.nds (YSMenu)
    TTMenu.nds (TTMenu)
    TTMENU.DAT (a copy of whichever of the above two you want as your default menu)

YSMENU (YSMenu firmware folder)
    YSMenu.ini (YSMenu init file)
    ttdldi.dat (extracted from the official loader using ttextract.exe)
    ttpatch.dat (extracted from the official loader using ttextract.exe)
    YSMenu1.bmp (optional skin)
    YSMenu2.bmp (optional skin)

TTMENU (official firmware folder)

games (games folder)

-Bri

11. Ryukouki
    OP

United States
    thanks so much i was so confused and had no idea what to do. Boy u sure can help Bri. i tried reading that huge topic and i guess i was wrong. Thanks!

12. Bri

United States
    You're welcome. I made a few corrections and added a little more information to the above post, so be sure to read it again!

-Bri

13. RetroEd

Newcomer RetroEd Member

United Kingdom
    I've tried this, having YSmenu as the default and TTmenu as a secondary, and I can't get it to work. I've tried it three times now. Either I've missed something, or something in the guide isn't quite 100%? Could you try it for yourself Bri, and see if you can get it to work? Doing the above I get it to boot into YSmenu, then have the Games folder and a YSmenu.nds. Nothing TTmenu related at all. [​IMG]

14. rom666

United States
    RetroEd,

Try taking the original TTMENU.DAT from the DSTT firmware and renaming it TTMENU.nds. Put this on the root of your card. You'll then be able to launch the TTMenu from YSMenu.

15. Bri

United States
    If he didn't already do that, he didn't follow instruction 6(a) which says: rename "TTMENU.DAT" from the official menu to "TTMenu.nds" and place it onto the root (top level) of your microSD card.

-Bri

16. rom666

United States

Sounds like he didn't.

17. RetroEd

Newcomer RetroEd Member

United Kingdom
    Yeah, I did. I'll give it one more try from scratch.

Edit: here's what my root looked like.

[​IMG]

18. RetroEd

Newcomer RetroEd Member

United Kingdom
    Nope, I've just done the whole thing again, and upon booting up, it takes me to the YSmenu screen, and I have the Games folder available, and YSMenu.nds below it. That's all there is, no TTmenu. [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. rom666

United States
    The problem is that you are not really changing the file extension. See the file type as a DAT and not an NDS file? You need to have Explorer show you the file extensions. In any folder, click Tools > Folder options, then click on the View tab. Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types". Apply the changes then go back into your folder. You should see the file as TTMeun.nds.dat. You can now rename the file. Windows should as you if you are sure you want to change the file.

20. RetroEd

Newcomer RetroEd Member

United Kingdom
    You have no idea how much of an idiot I feel, and frustrated over how much time I spent playing around with everything trying to get it to work. I used your tip and of course everything is running super smooth now. Thanks rom666, and Bri for writing the guide.

[​IMG]